CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Best way to pack a formal dress (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/337115-best-way-pack-formal-dress.html)

adias.angel July 30th, 2007 04:58 PM

Best way to pack a formal dress

Below is the dress I have for the new years eve cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get it to Florida without smashing the "ruffles" out of it. We are driving in a pretty full car. No airplane rides thank goodness. Any thoughts for keeping it from getting crushed?

http://fireandiceprom.com/images/front_l/F3220.jpg

Rev22:17 July 30th, 2007 06:17 PM

Re: Best way to pack a formal dress

adias.angel,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Below is the dress I have for the new years eve cruise. I am trying to figure out how to get it to Florida without smashing the "ruffles" out of it. We are driving in a pretty full car. No airplane rides thank goodness. Any thoughts for keeping it from getting crushed?

http://fireandiceprom.com/images/front_l/F3220.jpg

My, what a lovely dress!

Since you are driving, Your best bet probably is to pack it in a nylon or vinyl garment bag and to carry it aboard yourself rather than handing it over to the baggage handlers for loading.

Norm.

adias.angel July 31st, 2007 10:00 AM

Re: Best way to pack a formal dress

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17
adias.angel,

My, what a lovely dress!

Since you are driving, Your best bet probably is to pack it in a nylon or vinyl garment bag and to carry it aboard yourself rather than handing it over to the baggage handlers for loading.

Norm.

Thanks for pointing out about getting it on board to. I had not thought of that. ;)

LisaK July 31st, 2007 11:51 AM

hang it on a hanger, cover it with a plastic dry cleaners or a clear vinyl garment bag, place it on top of all the luggage in the car. I am not sure that you can carry it on to the ship as it won't fit thru the scanner, but then again if security can plainly see that its a dress you just might be able to carry it on. I would check with your ta or the cruise line to find out definately, otherwise you will have to hand it over to a porter with all your other checked baggage

adias.angel July 31st, 2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
hang it on a hanger, cover it with a plastic dry cleaners or a clear vinyl garment bag, place it on top of all the luggage in the car.

That is where I am most afraid of it getting smashed because the car will be very full. I was hoping someone might know a way to pad it or a hard case to keep it safe ;)

colorcrazie July 31st, 2007 01:22 PM

What a gorgeous dress!
The only trick I can remember is using LOTS of tissue paper crunched up between layers. If you can, do as already suggested and hand carry and hang it up in the car.
Marty

Rev22:17 July 31st, 2007 06:04 PM

LisaK,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
hang it on a hanger, cover it with a plastic dry cleaners or a clear vinyl garment bag, place it on top of all the luggage in the car. I am not sure that you can carry it on to the ship as it won't fit thru the scanner, but then again if security can plainly see that its a dress you just might be able to carry it on. I would check with your ta or the cruise line to find out definately, otherwise you will have to hand it over to a porter with all your other checked baggage

A standard garment bag should go through the hand luggage scanner lengthwise. The hand luggage scanner takes my two suiter (26" roller back) with no problem, in spite of a baggage handlers in San Diego and a transfer operator in San Juan who have tried to tell me that it would not.

Norm.

LisaK August 1st, 2007 10:21 AM

Norm, its not the length that concerned me with the dress fitting thru the scanners it the width of those poouffy ruffles that has me a bit worried

Rev22:17 August 6th, 2007 09:23 PM

LisaK,

Quote:

Norm, its not the length that concerned me with the dress fitting thru the scanners it the width of those poouffy ruffles that has me a bit worried
I doubt that a garment bag will be any thicker than by "two suiter."

Norm.

ryanfin August 7th, 2007 05:48 AM

Just to say what a gorgeous dress!! :D

adias.angel August 7th, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanfin
Just to say what a gorgeous dress!! :D

Thanks. ;) Hopefully I can get it there looking the same LOL

Nothin but blue skies August 9th, 2007 01:58 PM

Just joking now - if you can't get it through the scanner - put it on and walk on and then take it off!LOL

Seriously though, it IS a gorgeous dress!!

adias.angel August 9th, 2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Just joking now - if you can't get it through the scanner - put it on and walk on and then take it off!LOL

Seriously though, it IS a gorgeous dress!!

You laugh but that IS something I would do :twisted:

colorcrazie August 10th, 2007 12:53 PM

[You laugh but that IS something I would do]

Yeah, you! I love it![/quote]

Tishbo96 August 15th, 2007 06:49 PM

Dress is Fantastic!!! Happy to see someone else will be dressing up for Formal Night. I will also be cruising on New Years Eve. Have you confirmed if New Years Eve is a formal night?

Hope I'm doing this right...This is the dress I am planning on wearing. What do you think? I was contemplating having it altered to knee length. ???

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...smaiddress.jpg

[/img]

Tishbo96 August 15th, 2007 06:56 PM

Forgot to comment on your problem...
It is going to be a challenge getting that dress from MI to FL w/o wrinkles. I would suggest taking the dress to a professional seemstress or taylor to have it packaged in hanging bag professionally. They should be able to place tissue paper etc to keep its shape. Best way to ensure this is NOT to lay flat. I know that is probably impossible. I agree you will have to carry the dress on board to ensure it is properly handled during boarding.

Good Luck, you'll look beautiful!

adias.angel August 16th, 2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tishbo96
Dress is Fantastic!!! Happy to see someone else will be dressing up for Formal Night. I will also be cruising on New Years Eve. Have you confirmed if New Years Eve is a formal night?

Are you on the Freedom also?! If you are it is for sure a formal night. The PVP told us that it would be a black tie affair and my BF and his dad would both need to get a tux. I am going to guess that it is going to be a big 'shin dig' out on the lido deck but not 100% sure.

Quote:

Hope I'm doing this right...This is the dress I am planning on wearing. What do you think? I was contemplating having it altered to knee length. ???

NOOO!! Don't cut it, it so beautiful just the way it is ;) The long lines will give you those curves we all die for. You are going to be a show stopper in that!

LisaK August 16th, 2007 11:33 AM

Tis - no, no, please don't cut that dress down, it is gorgeous just the way it is and will be perfect for formal night- especially New Years Eve. You would spoil the long,lean clean line if you cut it

Tishbo96 August 16th, 2007 03:14 PM

Unfortunately I will not be on the Freedom. Its a shame b/c my husband I are about the same age as you. Its always nice to know another couple.

We will be traveling on the Miracle out of Ft. Lauderdale the 12/24-1/2. We're looking forward to spending Christmas and New Year's aboard a Carnival Ship.

I'm glad you said your PVP told you it would be black tie and a tux was required. I was not told that info and my husband was planning on wearing a nice suit. I will look into that. Thanks for the info.

Keep in touch

adias.angel August 16th, 2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'm glad you said your PVP told you it would be black tie and a tux was required. I was not told that info and my husband was planning on wearing a nice suit. I will look into that. Thanks for the info.

Keep in touch

Let me know if your ship is also doing the tux only for new year eve. Curious as to if this is something they do fleet wide ;)

coastal.dreams October 15th, 2007 12:08 AM

Try to find one of those old fashioned hard suit cases (like from EBAY) and lay it with tissue gently, that way it will not smash and you can check it. Also, tak ethe new downy wrinkle release and spray out any wrinkles, then just fluff out the ruffles by hand. What a beautiful dress! ENJOY!

Leaving November 26 for Cozumel on ECSTASY!

SeaTeach December 1st, 2007 04:03 PM

:wink: My guess would be to take it a dry cleaner or the Brown Store , and have them pack and/or stuff it lightly, just as if it were a wedding dress. The packing peanuts should not crush the dress and the box (light weight) might fit through the scanner if you explain what you need. On the other hand, the box could be marked fragile- do not crush, and handed over if necessary!

Rev22:17 December 4th, 2007 06:47 PM

Tishbo96,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...smaiddress.jpg

That dress is right on -- as is! And I'm sure that you will model it very well.

Norm.

trish1c December 8th, 2007 02:40 PM

Don't fret. Print the picture & get it pressed on board. It's really not terribly expensive & certainly less costly than all the stress worrying about it.