Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Default Here we go with the jeans again.

Now I know jeans are not worn in the dining room in the evening. I have my dresses all set for that, but my question is, what about the rest of the day? I'm headed to Alaska and if I'm dressed in jeans for a shore excursion and want to grab breakfast in the dining room before I go ashore, is that okay? I'm on NCL. I would hate to get dressed, have breakfast then go change into my jeans for my tour. That is dumb. I know I can just do the buffet, but I might be partial to the dinng room breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jeans are perfectly fine. The only time they are not allowed in NCL dining rooms, other than the buffet, is during dinner.

No need to change.

Take care and enjoy Alaska.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM
Admiral

relax, jeans are fine for breakfast in the dining room
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Thanks much. It did seem silly to have to change for breakfast but I didn't want to offend anyone.
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
relax, jeans are fine for breakfast in the dining room
I'm sure that your answer is true of Norwegian Cruise Line, which was the OP's question. I just want to add a caution that other cruise lines do have different policies, so anybody cruising another line should check their line's policy rather than relying upon this answer.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:04 PM
Captain

Just got off the NCL Pearl last week and not only are jeans fine during the day, they are now allowed in all restaurants for dinner except the Summer Palace.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Passenger

Well I'm apparently going to be over dressed then! I packed way too many nice skirt outfits an dresses for dinner. Then again, I don't think I want to go to dinner in the jeans I went hiking/whale watching/dog sledding in anyway. Thanks for the information. It seems NCL has gone very casual.
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Admiral

When we did Alaska, we had 3 nights that jeans were fine. They had 2 theme nights, one was Klondike Kountry and the other was 50's night so again jeans were fine. The 3rd night, not sure which port, but it was open sitting dining and no dress code. Jeans and shorts were seen. Ours were nice new black jeans so I really don't think anyone knew anyway.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Captain

Yes, NCL has gone very casual, however on this trip it did not seem to get out of hand. By choice we dined in Indigo (the jeans allowed main dining room) because the service was better and it was quieter. We never wore jeans to dinner but the others who did had very nice jeans and no tank tops (men) or ball caps. I did see them politely turn away one young man who had badly torn jeans.

The good thing is this seems to be the best compromise. Folks who like to dress for dinner can do so with other likeminded people and go to Summer Palace and the jean clad cruisers are not assigned solely to the buffet.

I have always been an opponent to jeans at dinner but this did seem to work. I do not know if the same could have been said if the itinerary was warm weather. We will have to wait and see.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

jolynn2262,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well I'm apparently going to be over dressed then! I packed way too many nice skirt outfits an dresses for dinner. Then again, I don't think I want to go to dinner in the jeans I went hiking/whale watching/dog sledding in anyway. Thanks for the information. It seems NCL has gone very casual.
That's pretty much what happens when a cruise line starts advertising "formal optional" (boldface mine, but also added by the minds of those who prefer to "dress down" even on the relic of "dress up" nights)....

Norm.
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolynn2262
One dining room will be designated formal, as in traditional formal, for one evening of the cruise. On three NCL Freestyle cruise I have seen the dress codes (no jeans, shorts, t-shirts) enforced better than any other cruise line. They actually turned away people on the NCL Star.

Your outfits will be very nice for the alternative restaurants and for dinner.

NCL's Freestyle is by no means "SlobStyle".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default Holland American

I read somewhere that Holland American is starting to allow jeans in the dining room. I have a gorgeous jean pantsuit that I would love to wear.