Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Default Ladies check this out- Formal Night

I am from a smaller town and there's not a lot of places to find a dress for an occasion such as this- but I stumbled across this website and I found several dresses I love. I am getting two for less than $100.00 a piece and they are stunning. I will have them altered slightly if needed when I get them in. I like all three of these below. After going to website- click on dress by occasion (to narrow down results) then click cruise dresses.

simplydresses.com

I hope this helps some ladies who have the time to shop and to get an idea of what formal dresses should look like.

Now- I have 8 months to tan, grow hair out a little and tighten up the bod so I can pull these dresses off and it should be great!

[img]/countdown.php?month=04&year=2008&day=20&hour=16:00[/img].[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, I like them all, what to choose?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Did u go look at website Donna? The first dress I put onpost (light blue one) was also on Dillards webpage listed at 169.99 I think and I loved it- but won't spend that on a one time dress. It listed at simplydresses.com for like 79.00. Nice huh?
They actually have tons of dresses to chose from.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Passenger

not a lot of responses so I think these are not formal enough. Maybe I wll go to the ground with the length and keep it simple and a little more elegant... ? Cruise is still quite a ways out- so I am not at all stressing out about it. If I come across something I like at a good price, I will pick it up. I am so glad I found this place to chat about all this "little" stuff. It makes the whole trip better when you know what to expect and can talk to those who have been cruising for years! =)
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Admiral

They are plenty formal enough! I think you did not get a lot of responses because it looked like you had everything under control. If I had the figure for it, I would go for those in a big way. Sadly, I don't, but you will look great and appropriately dressed. Only shop more if you want to!
Marty
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Take all three! We love to dress up, even on casual nights!
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Captain

i like the light blue and the aqua dress
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
They are plenty formal enough! I think you did not get a lot of responses because it looked like you had everything under control. If I had the figure for it, I would go for those in a big way. Sadly, I don't, but you will look great and appropriately dressed. Only shop more if you want to!
Marty
True.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
First Mate

You can't go wrong with black, strappy, sexy. I have a dress similar to the black one (longer) that I have worn on several different cruises. I am even more rural than 'small town' but when I get to the city near summer's end I find amazing deals on gowns. I have never paid over $15.00 for a cruise gown (good deal even if I only wear it once in my life). One was actually retail $250 originally and I paid $10. End of summer sales are also great for all your shorts, tanks, swimsuits etc. because as my hubby says "we can always find summer somewhere in the world in January."
By the way, I find the dining rooms are always chilly so don't forget to bring a wrap of some kind.
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Passenger

You are gonna HAVE to tell me where You shop!
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM
First Mate

I don't know if "Bryan's" is Canadian or is in US too. That's where I've bought a few, although they seem to be changing their focus to the younger crowd now. Also Winner's. Our local small town ladies shops also carry a few elegant numbers that sell cheap at the end of the season as storage space is at a premium and they purchase very limited stock. I purchased a black and white dress at an upscale boutique in the city a couple weeks ago that was marked down from $90 to $19 because of 'broken zipper'. It really wasn't broken, just required a little manoevering once I got home then it worked like a dream. (I was prepared to replace the zipper myself). I haven't actually worn the $10 gown ($250) yet as I would like to lose some weight first, but I figure for the money if all it does is inspire me to lose 10 pounds it was worth the money!
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Gosh, I like them all, what to choose?
Take one of each. Cruises of ten nights or more usually have three (3) "formal" evenings!

BTW, Donna, you would make all three of those dresses really shine!

Norm.
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Here's the dress I took. It's on sale at JCPenney.com for $29, but I got it at the store for $23 on clearance.
It's poly/spandex knit and packs in no space, doesn't wrinkle, and has a built in bra. Add some black sandals and jewelry.......can't get much easier.
They also had several more colors/similar styles in various colors and prints.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Familiar Face

love the dresses, but any tips for a plus size gal. last time i found a dress at a bridal shop that was on consignment. they wante 75 , i said pass then they dropped it to 40.00 i said hello. i was thinking of going to david's bridal and get a dress there , i waiting for the weddiign months to go by and maybe lose 10 or 15 lbs. then i hope i catch a sale. i heard if you alter a dress to fit it looks better. also I CAN'T GET MY CLOCK TO WORK AND THE HELP IS NOT HELPING.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9/14/ 2003 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Conquest 12/09/2007 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Triumph 12/07/2009 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Sensation 12/12/2010 - Bahamas

Carnival Legend 06/02/2015 - Alaska !!!
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Nikkita,

My formal dress for New Years Eve was purchased from David's Bridal. I absolutely love it. If you live relatively close I would recommend checking in frequently to see if anything comes available on clearance.

FYI - Altering a dress to fit you perfectly is a great idea and often will be flattering, however, I suggest looking into a private tailor/seamstress. David's Bridal Alterations is terribly over-priced. My local tailor did a better job in half the time for a quarter of the price.

Post pics!!!! Happy Cruising.
Tish
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

IneedaVaca,
Great site they also have plus size dresses for us not so petite gals. Check it out. So pretty.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Admiral

And so there we are, casting our gaze upon you.

You’re in your new outfit – and we’re checking you out!

And did it ever occur to you that you’re beautiful to us, whatever you’re wearing?

“Does this dress make me look fat?? Good Lord, there’s nothing like getting hit with that in the middle of the Notre Dame game………..

John Grey tells us to say “honey, you look beautiful? even if it’s in the middle of the Notre Dame game.

But what if it really is, “honey, you look beautiful in that dress?? What then?

Do you take us at our word? Do you believe us when we say what we believe?

And I’ll tell you what. I’m getting too old for this kind of thing. So I’m going to tell you the way it is. So pour yourselves a strong drink, sit down, and hold on to something…….

You ready for this?

We love you.

And yes, you heard that correctly.

We love you.

We love the way you look. We love the way you smell. We love the way you feel. We love the way you make us feel.

We love you for who you are.

And yes, you heard all of this correctly. Pour yourself another one, because it gets better……

You ladies seem to have no idea. Probably because we have done a poor job of expressing ourselves to you.

Monumental things have been accomplished in human history. Most of them due to good women. So here we all are. Face to face, eyeball to eyeball.

So what’s it going to be? You’re wearing your new dress. We think you’re beautiful. And you know what?

You are beautiful. You are everything we’ve ever wanted. Everything is right with the world when we look at you. You’re everything in the world to us.

Are you ready for this……….?

Dean
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Dean,

Who Knew you were such a softie...
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Ah! see how I don't think "mean" applies in your name. What a sweety.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Yeoman

Awww, Dean, reading all of that makes me almost want to get married again someday.........almost.......