Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to babybbeegurl22
Default Waterproof / under water camera bags??

Has anyone tried or heard anything good or bad about the soft case waterproof camera bags? Apparently they protect your camera from sand, water etc. You can even take under water pics. Has anyone tried these??
Here's the site i was looking at http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/obcameracase.html

We have a lot of water related shore excursions and i was just wondering if this was a good buy
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have a better suggestion, buy a new digital camera that is waterproof!

There are several brands that make waterproof cameras, but the most recent one Olympus 770SW is probably the best one available. It is waterproof to 1 hour under water. I bought it because I wanted the waterproof feature (the shockproof, crushproof, and freezeproof are also handy to have too) for my September cruise. I had previously bought a disposable camera, but it is hard to see through that wee viewfinder and the pictures don't always turn out very good.

You can also get waterproof housins for many digital cameras, but they are almost as expensive as a new camera. The one for my canon digital camera is $300!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Beginner

I bought a bag called digipac for my Canon Powershot on eBay. I have used it in our swimming pool and it did fine. I'll be snorkeling with it on our cruise in December.
Sewut
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Familiar Face

I thought I'd push this topic to the top of the list to see if anyone else has used the 'bags' to put their digital cameras in to use under water. Can't afford a new underwater digital camera and the kids are complaining that the cheap underwater cameras don't take good pictures. Can anyone else comment on these?
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Passenger

I have seen those bags at my local RCI outdoor store and for the cost of the bag VS cost of the camera they seem like a good thing. If you get sand in a camera you will be oh so sorry!
Yes, I see you can go underwater with them too but if you want under water pictures buy a cheap underwater camera on the ship and they develope the prints for free on Princess Lines for you.

On boat outings where you take a long ride your camera will likely be stored in your backpack or other protected place so not likely to get wet.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

I bought one of the waterproof camera bags last year from the waterproofstore website. It worked great! I used it on our cruise when we went to the beaches and for our Dunns Waterfall trip.

No sand to worry about, and great underwater shots. The only part I would warn you about is to watch out for water droplets on the outside of the bag before you take pictures. I took some pictures under water then above water and noticed when I viewed those pictures later that there were water droplets in the middle of the above water picutres.

I too had looked at the waterproof cases for my camera, but they are too expensive.. better off buying a waterproof camera.
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Beginner

I recently bought a Dicapac from accessorygeeks.com. The bag was $34.99 with free first class shipping. I ordered on March 24th & received it the 26th. Wow, talk about fast!! I did the test as suggested. Put a piece of paper inside & tested it under water & the paper came out dry. I have not actually used it yet as our cruise is at the end of the month, but I'm looking forward to taking it with us to Stingray Sandbar.
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Passenger

I have a larger camera (Kodak EasyShare) with a zoom lense. Does anyone know anywhere that sells inexspensive waterproof bags for larger cameras??? I found one for $119 but I might as well buy a new camera for that price.

Thanks!!
~Emily