CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   First Cruise for our Honeymoon on Celebrity Constellation.. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/338690-first-cruise-our-honeymoon-celebrity-constellation.html)

soontobemrso August 25th, 2007 08:48 PM

First Cruise for our Honeymoon on Celebrity Constellation..

I'm so confused as to packing for this cruise. We are going on an 11 night Celebrity cruise on Constellation in the end of November for our honeymoon. I took a look at Celebrity's website and it looks like everything is more formal that what we are used on a day to day basis. I have no problem dressing up, actually I love to dress up :D

I don't want to be overdressed or underdressed either. For the formal nights DH will wear his tux and I have a few formal dresses picked out, what I am more concerned about are the informal and casual nights. I know that there is a no jeans rule in the main dining room after 6pm, no problem. Casual nights should be bad, I'm thinking khakis and a nice shirt or a casual dress or skirt? What about "informal" nights for DH? He doesn't own a sports coat and never wears ties, what is the norm for these nights?

Any must have items we should pack? I would love to see a packing list if anyone has one. And what's the deal with duct tape?

LisaK August 28th, 2007 12:48 PM

you are correct- Celebrity is a bit more "dressed-up" than other mainstream cruise lines. You are all set for formal nights. For casual nights most men will be in dockers type pants with a polo or other button down shirt, nice casual shoes. Ladies on casual nights - a nice sundress with sandals or kitten heels, a nice skirt/blouse combination, a nice pair of trousers with a blouse. Informal nights can be trickey- i would say that your future husband will need a sportsjacket, dress pants, shirt and tie, as for you a nice dinner dress, dressy pants with a silk blouse, heels

kd August 28th, 2007 05:02 PM

Congratulations, you made a great choice for your first cruise experience. We love Celebrity. I think you will be fine on any dining night. The clothes vary drastically even on Celebrity. As the last poster mentioned, informal night (which is a bit of a misnomer) is trickier. Many opt for shirt and tie, others jacket with shirt and no tie. Still others will dress the same as for formal night. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine. As far as over or underdressed, I don't think its possible to be overdressed for formal night, but I certainly felt underdressed on our first cruise (Celebrity). If you go to Celebrity's website they list the dress code expectaions. Any clothing lists I have seen on this board have been crazy, including extra panty hose for the lady and lots of black socks for the men! LOL
As to the duct tape, forget it. Its one of those things you keep hearing about and I've never seen anyone need or use. Must haves: anti-nausea medication for your first day out (take before sailing just in case its rough) and possibly for other days if needed. I find once I have my sea legs I don't need it anymore. Gym/work-out clothes if you're into fitness. Refillable water bottle. Backpack for shopping or excursions. Good book or two. Most important is a great attitude that says 'we are going to have an awesome holiday regardless of weather, tablemates, or anything else that is off of perfection'. Add a friendly smile for your fellow travellers and definitely for the hard-working staff and crew on-board and you will have a great time. Happy sailing!

IneedaVaca August 28th, 2007 05:47 PM

Congratulations on the wedding.... and the cruise. Hope you have a great time. You might try reading the packing list on the home page.. I have found several different ones when researching cruises..

Rev22:17 August 28th, 2007 08:52 PM

Re: First Cruise for our Honeymoon on Celebrity Constellatio

soontobemrso,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I'm so confused as to packing for this cruise. We are going on an 11 night Celebrity cruise on Constellation in the end of November for our honeymoon. I took a look at Celebrity's website and it looks like everything is more formal that what we are used on a day to day basis. I have no problem dressing up, actually I love to dress up :D

I don't want to be overdressed or underdressed either. For the formal nights DH will wear his tux and I have a few formal dresses picked out, what I am more concerned about are the informal and casual nights. I know that there is a no jeans rule in the main dining room after 6pm, no problem. Casual nights should be bad, I'm thinking khakis and a nice shirt or a casual dress or skirt? What about "informal" nights for DH? He doesn't own a sports coat and never wears ties, what is the norm for these nights?

Yes, Celebrity is pretty dressy. For the "informal" evenings, gentlemen wear sport coats or "blazers" (the necktie is now officially optional) with collared shirts or turtlenecs, dress slacks, and dress shoes while ladies generally wear cocktail dresses, many of which would be acceptable on "formal" evenings. On the "casual" evenings, gents wear shirts with collars and slacks while ladies usually wear stylish tops with skirts or slacks.

On Caribbean cruises, there's usually a deck party on the "casual" evening that falls in the middle of the cruise. On that evening, gents usually wear shirts with colorful "island" or "Hawai'ian" prints and many ladies wear dresses or skirts with similar prints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Any must have items we should pack? I would love to see a packing list if anyone has one. And what's the deal with duct tape?

The first post in the "Packing Made Simple" thread contains packing lists for both men and women for a fourteen night Celebrity cruise. You'll need to change the 15's to 12's and adjust the quantities of "formal" and "informal" eveningwear to the number of each type of evening on your cruise. With those adjustments, it should work out pretty well.

Norm.

NonaMary August 30th, 2007 10:35 PM

Congratulations on the wedding!

I agree with the others. And don't get too stressed out about it, there is always going to be someone who is 'maxed out', but for the most part it is a "quiet elegance" mix. Some of the men do wear tux but on our trips it seems more of the men wore a dark suit for formal nights, so either is fine. I would not go out and buy a tux just for the trip, a black suit will be very acceptable. Check out the links suggested, the tips and advice on this site are great.

Have a wonderfu wedding day and a great honeymoon.
Nona

soontobemrso August 31st, 2007 02:36 PM

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm finally getting excited and nervous about both the wedding and the cruise. I'm going to really read the packing lists on here and sit down and see what I need to bring.

I'm also going to make sure my father and his girlfriend see this information as well. They just happen to be going on the same cruise as us (except 2 months later) and I don't think they have any idea of how dressy it really is. To them anything that isn't jeans is 'formal'.

Any other must haves? Do we need towels for by the pool and on the beach when we are at port? What do most people where when just hanging around? Do you see many people in jean shorts and t-shirts?

colorcrazie September 1st, 2007 02:35 PM

Congratulations!
Now, to your questions. You do not need towels. They provide them for the pool area and even to take ashore in ports, although they charge a lot if you lose one.
Jeans, even jean shorts, are too hot for most people in the Caribbean. Around the pool and on deck, you'll see people in shorts and tanks or bathing suits. But, not in the dining room, especially not for dinner. In fact, you may not even be allowed in the dining room for dinner in anything that casual. Depends on cruise line and the maitre'd. Try very hard to talk your dad and his friend into bringing dressier clothes for formal nights. I don't agree with some people who are very rigid about dress codes, but I do agree that you need to dress up quite a bit more than you would at home.
But, focus on your wedding and honeymoon. Nice that family will be on the same cruise, but don't worry too much about them. A honeymoon cruise is very special!
Enjoy it! :D
Marty

forensic October 3rd, 2007 12:11 AM

Re: First Cruise for our Honeymoon on Celebrity Constellatio

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobemrso

For formal night you are exactally right as to the Tux and you a formal (long, tea length or knee length) is perfect! And think how night your photos will look!

For the informal nights, nice Docker style pants and a nice shirt I think is fine. My DH has worn a silk T with a blazer and no tie (obviously) and he has worn a silk Tommy Bahama shirt with a Blazer and nice slacks, and good boat style shoes. DH wears the blazer to avoid the tie. For informal night he wear the same type of pants and shoes but wears good polo style shirts or good hawaiian style shirts. He loves Tommy Bahama stuff and has a lot of his stuff for cruising. You could probably get your DH a decent sport coat at somewhere like Khols for not much $, especially if he is not going to wear it much, IF he would want it, it is NOT necessary. For Ocean Liners he wears blazer, dress shirt and tie. I wear nice skirt and blouse, knit top or dress. Unless you go on formal night and then you wear your formal wear.

Do you have an email address where I could contact you to ask you a question?