Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kittysquest
Default dragging around dirty clothes?

What's the deal with laundry? As first time cruisers, we are doing alot of extras (excursions, etc) and some of the things we will most likely be getting a bit dirty/muddy. My concern is dragging these dirty clothes along with us for not only the cruise, but the land tour as well. Is there laundry available? Is it a service or just a few washers/dryers available to anyone? oh! We are taking the Island Princess "Heart of Alaska" land tour and cruise. Any suggestions or tips are openly welcome!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Princess has both self service laundrettes, or you can let them to the laundry for you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Default laundry

On most of the cruises I've been on, they offer a $15 bag of laundry towards the end of the cruise. All you can stuff in, they will launder and fold and return to your room. A good deal for those of us that can stuff the heck out of the bag. You return home without the huge pile of laundry.
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Admiral

on Princess you will have a self-service laundry on each passenger deck. Its up to you if you want to throw in a couple loads of wash mid-week or wait for the "fill the bag" laundry day. This is a really good deal if you have a lot of dirties, you stuff all that you can into one bag for one price.
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Beginner

I have a steadfast rule; on vacation I do not do laundry; we pack lots of extra underwear and tops...I have done 11 cruises and never have had a problem...
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Captain

I never used the laundry facilities either on a short cruise. I can do laundry at home and I had to do laundry on vacation when our children were younger and traveling with us. Not fun to spend your vacation in a laundromat.

I first used the laundry room when we went to Europe this year on a 12 day cruise and we were away for 19 days. I just packed some small ziploc bags of detergent and carried some fabric softener sheets and a mesh laundry bag. You can buy small boxes of detergent on the ship, but I am alergic to Tide and was afraid they might not offer other brands. I did laundry about 3 times on days at sea. The machines have a countdown timer, so you can leave your laundry and make a note of when to return, so you don't hold up the machines.

With Platinum status on our last cruise I took advantage of the free laundry service. It was nice, but took two days to get back.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Passenger

don't know that ship
most ships have a luandry room that uses quarters for the washer and the dryers are free
they have irons and ironing boards in the laundry room

you can send your laundry out to be washed and it is like expensive, $20 for a small bag? Why not buy a new shirt!

I bring my old socks and wear them a day or two and then toss them.
Less to carry back. So take enough for each day.
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jungle Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Jungle Jane

We are sailing on RC Freedom of the Seas-no self serve laundry. I was thinking of packing an extra duffle for laundry and will check that bag on the way home along with our other luggage, this will also make room for souvenirs in our luggage. Has anyone done this? Does anyone see a problem with doing this? It would just be clothes in the duffle so it won't matter if it gets smashed by everyone's luggage. Thoughts?
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

Jungle Jane, we always have one suitcase at the end of the cruise that has nothing but dirty clothes in it! I figure when I'm on vacation I shouldn't have to do laundry. Our funniest experience was when we came through customs after having been in Hawaii, the only suitcase the inspectors chose to go through was -- you guessed it! My husband and I had to turn away so they couldn't see us laughing at them!!
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jungle Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Jungle Jane

PU! !

Do you think it would make a difference if it were a duffle rather than a regular suitcase? I can't think of any difference...but I don't remember ever seeing a simple duffle on a luggage carousel.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvia
Jungle Jane, we always have one suitcase at the end of the cruise that has nothing but dirty clothes in it! I figure when I'm on vacation I shouldn't have to do laundry. Our funniest experience was when we came through customs after having been in Hawaii, the only suitcase the inspectors chose to go through was -- you guessed it! My husband and I had to turn away so they couldn't see us laughing at them!!
I'm sure that wasn't the first time they've gone through suitcases of dirty clothes. We do the same thing. Although, we put our dirty clothes inside heavy duty garbage bags, then suppress all the air out of them and tie them up for easy packing inside the suitcase. If they had to check out dirty laundry suitcase, I can only imagine their encounter once they opened the plastic bag! :o
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jane
PU! !

Do you think it would make a difference if it were a duffle rather than a regular suitcase? I can't think of any difference...but I don't remember ever seeing a simple duffle on a luggage carousel.
A heavy duty duffle shouldn't be a problem, except getting wet if there is a heavy rain when they are loading it up the conveyor to the plane. As long as it can be tagged as luggage properly, don't see an issue. Although, I don't recall seeing plain duffle bags that tie, checked as luggage. Check with the airline you will be using.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Admiral

I do pack a large duffle in my carryons for this purpose (best not to check any luggage anymore on inbound flights since more flights today are filled to capacity and thus more likely to send your luggage on its own vacation). Out with the dirty laundry and in with the souvenirs. If you have paper souvenirs sometimes placing a two foot mailing tube in your luggage (filled with socks, etc. on the inbound flight) is good to protect them from getting crushed. No problems ever with this arrangement. Also, been known on long audit assignments or cruises to mail laundry home if I need the space in my luggage for souvenirs like audit work papers, documents, and other stuff I can't trust to check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jane
We are sailing on RC Freedom of the Seas-no self serve laundry. I was thinking of packing an extra duffle for laundry and will check that bag on the way home along with our other luggage, this will also make room for souvenirs in our luggage. Has anyone done this? Does anyone see a problem with doing this? It would just be clothes in the duffle so it won't matter if it gets smashed by everyone's luggage. Thoughts?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Captain

I have checked duffle bags that zip but not those that tie. I wonder if the ties could cause any mechanical malfunction if a conveyor belt were in use for loading/unloading bags.

As far as the laundry facility on the ships, I have been carrying ziploc bags with pre-measured dry detergent for this. I am allergic to Tide and was concerned that it might be the only option on the ship. I just found a few weeks ago, some small sample size bottles of concentrated All liquid detergent. The bottle is enough for two loads of laundry. I will be packing those this time, along with my fabric softener sheets and a mesh laundry bag.

I also pack a couple of tote bags and a folding duffle bag to carry home more than I bring, including the dirty laundry
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Passenger

I haven't flown anywhere for a while, but isn't there now a limit of 1 checked bag per person (or some outrageous fee for a 2nd one) ? Am I mistaken about that, or are you all just planning to pay the additional fee for the extra bag?

Sandy

Well, I think I AM mistaken; I just went to the Northwest web site and it says each ticketed passenger is allowed to check 2 bags of 50 pounds, so that sounds like good news to me. Now I don't know where I heard the 1 bag information, maybe I dreamed it!

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Familiar Face

It's United Airlines that just came up with that additional harrassment. But it only applies to tickets purchased from this past Monday on and won't take effect until May 5. This will make more people have carry-on luggage, which seems to have gotten out of control with regard to size. But I'm sure other airlines will follow unless enough people tell United they're not going to fly with them. What's next?