Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Packing soda & water . . . . .good idea

We are addicted to Diet Coke and bottle water and would drink ourselves out of house and home if we didn't bring it on board. This is what we do.

We have two suit cases, large and medium. We put the medium into the large and then pack the medium full of our clothes, etc. Once we get into the port , we hail a taxi to the ship and ask the driver to stop at any near-by grocery store or convience store. (as a side note, we always buy the 20 oz plastic bottles, they are great to have in your pool bag on deck or take on shore with us). We then take the medium suitcase out of the large and fill the large with the soda and water and check it through at the ship.

The cab costs only a little more than the transfers plus we're not packed on a bus with all the other people (not to mention waiting for all the other flights to land so that they don't loose money sending the bus until it's over packed) :-) and have some flexibility and then we can buy all the water and soda we want.

Our cabin stewart has always been generous with the ice, we keep a few in our ice bucket so that we always have them cold, and you can get cups of ice anywhere on the ship.

Coming home now we have all the room we need in our suitcase to pack all the stuff we bought during the cruise -- you know how your suitcase always seems to shrink.

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Yes, a great idea

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Excellent idea.
I'll also add that those new XL zip lock bags are great. We had the XXL size and packed our sodas inside. One can burst due to the luggage being tossed about during embarkation and it was contained in the bag. Thankfully it was diet soda, so no real mess to the rest of the cans. You can use the bag for packing dirty clothes on the way home.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Passenger

i thought thw same thing about packing things liek snack for the little ones, but don't they still offer the fountain cards. we bought 2 last time and they wer about 25.00 each and we had unlimted drinks. i do think it;s a good idea to bring bottled water.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9 / 2003

Carnival Conquest 12/9/2007

Carnival Triumph 12/7/2009
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

I think the suitcase in suitcase is an excellent idea. I think we'll be doing this next weekend when cruise on Triumph. Hubby stopped drinking and if we can get a case or two of water/soda, we'll both be happy.

I also find that the velcro belts (2 to a pack for under $5) that you can buy at Home Depot work great in piggy-backing suitcases when needed.

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Should anyone be drinking this much soda?
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default ha ha funny

I have a vice Diet Coke . . . . . at least it's not regular coke or I'd be 300 pounds.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Admiral

I can understand bringing soda if you don't want to buy the soda card on the ship, but why bring bottled water. Water on the shiop is distilled and probably of better quality than the bottled water you bring.
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Passenger

I know HAL lets you bring on wine and champagne, but I'm toying with the idea of getting one or two larger water bottles, emptying them out and filling them with either white rum or vodka. I don't drink champagne on a regular basis (who does lol), do like wine, but I like Malibu and diet coke. The coconut flavor kills the diet coke taste. lol

Anyone tried this? I'm sure I'll have to pack it in some big ziplock bags, but I'll hopefully be able to do that in FLL and just put it in my luggage just before boarding the ship/boat so there's less chance of it leaking.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Paul on the water issue, the ships water is really good. What we do is buy a couple large sports bottles of water in port before we leave, and just keep refilling them from the tap and chilling them in the fridge.
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Passenger

Default Favorite drink is malibu and diet coke

I love malibu and diet coke too and have turned many people on to this drink - very smooth.

The reason I would bring water on would simply be for the ease of taking the bottles anywhere I would like. I typically bring on 6 bottles and then refill as needed but can't beat the resealable bottles. I fill them with the ships iced tea too -- I love Carnival's iced tea.
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Passenger

Do you charge for the ice tea?
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Passenger

Default Ice Tea

The ice tea on Carnival was free and I"m assuming so on Princess as well.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Admiral

msmarvel - trying to "smuggle"aboard alcohol is against ships policies. Do people do it, unfortunately yes, does that make it right??? there are many stories of passengers doing it successfully, but on the other hand, we are hearing more stories of alcohol being seized by security at boarding and held for you until the end of cruise, have even heard a few stories of security personnel making passengers empty their bottles.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
msmarvel - trying to "smuggle"aboard alcohol is against ships policies. Do people do it, unfortunately yes, does that make it right??? there are many stories of passengers doing it successfully, but on the other hand, we are hearing more stories of alcohol being seized by security at boarding and held for you until the end of cruise, have even heard a few stories of security personnel making passengers empty their bottles.
I am well aware that HAL only allows you to bring wine and champagne on board, as far as alcohol is concerned. I'm not planning on bring a gallon jug of Malibu rum or anything - but I may bring on a 20 oz bottle of Malibu "water". Unless they open up and taste every bottle of water that is brought on board, I think it will get through. If not, oh well, there's $10 down the proverbial drain.

Don't worry, the ship will make plenty of money as I'm sure I'll try the cocktail of the day (a few times a day) at the very least.

Old October 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Some folks, myself included, favor Japanese Sake, which is not typically carried aboard, nor served at dinner. You are correct in that clear liquids carried in ziplocked water bottles will usually make it aboard HAL. Have fun - may do the Zuiderdam with my 12 year old kiddo again over Turkey day since he has yet to dive Grand Turk. 8)

BTW, Halfmoon Cay has horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarvel
I know HAL lets you bring on wine and champagne, but I'm toying with the idea of getting one or two larger water bottles, emptying them out and filling them with either white rum or vodka. I don't drink champagne on a regular basis (who does lol), do like wine, but I like Malibu and diet coke. The coconut flavor kills the diet coke taste. lol

Anyone tried this? I'm sure I'll have to pack it in some big ziplock bags, but I'll hopefully be able to do that in FLL and just put it in my luggage just before boarding the ship/boat so there's less chance of it leaking.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Some folks, myself included, favor Japanese Sake, which is not typically carried aboard, nor served at dinner. You are correct in that clear liquids carried in ziplocked water bottles will usually make it aboard HAL. Have fun - may do the Zuiderdam with my 12 year old kiddo again over Turkey day since he has yet to dive Grand Turk. 8)

After reading some rum reviews, I may go with a darker rum, which I guess means using ice tea bottles. lol. I've tried sake a few times, and not developed a taste for it. But my friend in LA likes it and orders it anytime he's out here and we meet for sushi.

I know Halfmoon Cay has the horses, but since that's a tender and more time consuming off/on the ship, I don't know if I want to lug my jeans around all day. I'll probably try the horse ride/swim on Grand Turk, since I can more easily ditch the horsey clothes and get back on the island.

I'm stopping at my nearest dive shop this week to get some little water lockers. And I'm going to check out their dive class schedule.

Kath

Old October 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Good for you, Kath! Please certify before you cruise, rather than during.

Do snorkel and check out the reef balls straight out from the kids water park at Half Moon Cay. Nice assortment of critters!

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarvel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster

After reading some rum reviews, I may go with a darker rum, which I guess means using ice tea bottles. lol. I've tried sake a few times, and not developed a taste for it. But my friend in LA likes it and orders it anytime he's out here and we meet for sushi.

I know Halfmoon Cay has the horses, but since that's a tender and more time consuming off/on the ship, I don't know if I want to lug my jeans around all day. I'll probably try the horse ride/swim on Grand Turk, since I can more easily ditch the horsey clothes and get back on the island.

I'm stopping at my nearest dive shop this week to get some little water lockers. And I'm going to check out their dive class schedule.

Kath
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Captain

Msmarvel - at the risk of sounding stupid, what is a water locker please?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Msmarvel - at the risk of sounding stupid, what is a water locker please?
Probably not the best (or right) name for them. lol They're also called dry packs. I think you can google dry pack and you'll find them. They're either little plastic boxes or tough plastic bags that will keep your stuff dry while you snorkel/swim - they either attach to a lanyard around your neck or a belt.

So, depending on the size you get, you can bring your money, credit cards, cell phone, room key, etc. with you while you're in the water rather than "hiding" it in your shoe on the beach. Good if you're by yourself or if everyone in your group is snorkeling, diving, swimming at the same time.

Kath

Old October 18th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Captain

Thanks. I am familiar with those but just did not know what they were called. I have seen something like this for sale in the Ships' gift shops, but don't know how effective or waterproof they are when compared to those that you are planning to buy.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Passenger

I think people on here recommended both - either get them at a dive/sports shop or get them on board. So I guess the ones on the ships are good quality.

If you think about it, the only thing that can really get damaged by water is a cell phone or iPod. Money can dry, and just wipe off credit or room cards.

Old October 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Captain

Sounds like another good use for the zip-loc bags that everyone packs for their cruises now. One of the small, snack-size would hold all your cards and money and fold up small enough to fit into one of these cases.

Maybe I will start a new thread called "Zip-loc bag uses on-board"
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Default Great idea

Zip-loc bag uses -- that's a hoot. Would make a great thread.