Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple
Default extra large suitcases

I bought a great extra large suitcase for the cruise with the thought that dh and me would put our regular stuff in the big one and formalwear in a garment bag.... has anyone used these oversized suitcases to fly with.... I'm having second thoughts

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Don't forget the 50 lb. limit for each suitcase. You probably will have to pay extra if you pack everything in one huge suitcase.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cabin Luggage

Our most recent trips have been for 6 weeks -- either all land or land and cruise. We've learned to back heavier items in our cabin/hand luggage and fortunately have never had it weighed.

I'd be concerned whether or not you could have the garment bag hung in the airline cabin. If you're travelling business or first class this wouldn't be a problem. I don't think I'd want to check a garment bag with formal clothes.

Ruth
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Admiral

you will have to pay extra for oversized and or overweight luggage with the airline, check with your airline- they should list the luggage limitations on their web site. You would be better off packing in two smaller suitcases and one garment bag
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Captain

This post really made me smile as I remembered how we packed for our Grand Med cruise this year. We were traveling for 19 days and packed for 40 days

I think this has taught me a lesson on NEVER - EVER overpacking again. I used the laundry room at least 3 times on the 12 day cruise and we found ourselves wearing several things 2 or 3 times and came home with clothes that still had the price tags on them.

Yes we did go over the limit and Yes, we paid the fine when we boarded our first flight. I bought a Carnival expandable bag on the last day of the cruise and packed it. When we boarded our flight in Rome to return home, I was so happy that I had done this. There were two young girls just ahead of us in line at the airport check-in and their bags were over the limit. The airport clerk in Rome said they did not allow over weight limit bags and the girls could not pay an over limit fee. They were in the floor with all their bags open and moving articles around from bag to bag. I told them to put a few items in their carry-on bags and to wear a couple of extra shirts onto the plane. They did this and boarded without further problem. Just glad it wasn't me or my DH would never let me hear the end of it.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I always take an extra large suitcase and wwwaaayyy too much stuff, but always manage to have an outfit for every occasion

I by some miracle stay under the 50 lb. limit...

My friend took her garment bag on as a carry on item when we cruised the Valor without incident.

Check with the airlines on their policies, etc.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Default airline bag restriction

The airlines are getting really strict about your bags. I now pack 2 medium sized versus one large because it's almost impossible to not be over 50 pounds with those massive bags -- and the airlines charge a lot when you are over the limit. Take the 2 medium and it gives you penty of room for take home stuff.
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: extra large suitcases

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecouple
I bought a great extra large suitcase for the cruise with the thought that dh and me would put our regular stuff in the big one and formalwear in a garment bag.... has anyone used these oversized suitcases to fly with.... I'm having second thoughts
Do you still have the receipt? I suggest returning the extra-large bag.

Seriously, I bought a GIANT suitcase for our first cruise, and I was so happy that I could fit everything for our family of four into that bag (it was only a four-day cruise) . . . until I tried to lift it into the trunk of the car. I hate that suitcase.

Sorry, I can't give any advice on flying -- we live close enough to drive.
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: extra large suitcases

Dave & Thresa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
It's good that you are having second thoughts, as large suitcases tend to run afoul of the airlines' rules for checked baggage. Delta's baggage regulations, which are pretty typical of the major airlines, allow each passenger to check two (2) checked bags, each of which has dimensions (sum of length, width, and height) of not more than sixty-two (62) inches and weights not more than fifty (50) pounds. If your bags exceed these limits, the airlines may impose a surcharge for oversize or overweight item on each segment or require you to ship items that are too eggregious as air freight.

Note, BTW, that the two checked bags are in addition to one (1) carry-on bag and one (1) personal item such as a purse, briefcase, or small backpack.

Norm.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Passenger

BEWARE OF THE OVERSIZED SUITCASE!!!!
I received one of these monsters for CHristmas and I have a love hate relationship with it. Yes, they are wonderful because you can pack your entire closet and 20 pairs of shoes (almost) in them BUT try to pick it up or get it past the airline weigh in and you are out of luck. After paying the additional fee on a recent trip, I came home and weighed the empty, aforementioned monster on my bathroom scale. 16 POUNDS! No wonder I went over, you are doomed before you start packing.
I now have a smaller suitcase for flying and only use the huge one when I drive directly to the ship. I do have some guilt about the poor steward who now has a hernia as a result of moving my bag. It also does not fit well under the bed.
Use a smaller suitcase and put the formal wear in a dress bag!!!

Happy packing and sailing! Planning your outfits and packing is half the fun!
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Passenger

It's all about the WEIGHT and the airlines will weigh the bags and if more than 50 lbs in a bag you will PAY dearly for it.
Bigger is not better if there is much weight involved.
Dress up can be simple, no need for a formal, but long is good.