CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   TRAVEL STEAMERS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/341592-travel-steamers.html)

CookieMami October 24th, 2007 03:31 PM

TRAVEL STEAMERS

Hi All,

I'll be travelling on the RCI Majesty of the Seas Nov. 5th - Nov. 9th. I am aware of their "NO IRON" policy. I'm trying to avoid having to pay to have my clothes pressed on board. I'd rather save that money for drinking :)! Can anyone recommend a place/store to buy/they've bought a travel garment steamer.

Thanks!

kimmerpa October 24th, 2007 08:15 PM

I got one at Walmart for $20.

Kim

SeaTeach December 1st, 2007 03:43 PM

:-P Try Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I purchased a great one there.

longbeachlarry December 12th, 2007 03:27 PM

Got mine at Macy's in the luggage dept. As a backup, take a small spray bottle with some downy wrinke remover.

kd April 8th, 2008 04:23 PM

Check with RCL's website. On Celeb site, they now state no irons OR steamers. Pretty silly really. Are we going to ban steam hair curlers and curling irons? I have taken our steamer but stopped doing so...just one more pound of 'stuff' to cart around. Seldom used it. Hang things up in steamy bahroom for a while. Also tried the wrinkle reducer spray but didn't think it worked great.

kathyann July 20th, 2008 08:18 PM

No irons?!? That's almost as bad as not allowing me to bring any liquor into my cabin! As cruiselines keep adding restrictions, land-based hotels start to look better and better.

Do they search your luggage to check for an iron? Or search your room? I can't imagine not being able to do quick touch-up ironing on my clothes after they've been folded up in a suitcase.

NY Cruisin Mama July 22nd, 2008 09:48 PM

Actually, if you ROLL your clothes - wrinkles shouldn't be too much of a
problem. On top of that - who cares about a few wrinkles, anyway, unless
you are wearing linen (which IMO is not a good travel fabric.). I'd rather
have some wrinkles than have my clothes possibly damaged in the ship's
laundry. JMO

mehawk July 23rd, 2008 02:52 AM

BB&B

NY Cruisin Mama July 23rd, 2008 10:43 AM

Michael: what does "BB&B" mean??

Boogeygolfer July 24th, 2008 03:40 PM

Travel Steamer

I have one that I always take on cruises and I bought it at either Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linen and Things. Hope this helps!

kathyann July 28th, 2008 12:36 PM

Re: Travel Steamer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogeygolfer
I have one that I always take on cruises and I bought it at either Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linen and Things. Hope this helps!

Well, it still doesn't answer the question about not being allowed to use travel irons or steamers in the cabins. Will my bags be checked for them?? Will it be confiscated from my room if I bring one?

NY Cruisin Mama July 28th, 2008 12:41 PM

Yes, it will be scanned - I read on another post that a passenger had to
go to the Purser's office as there was a "questionable object" in her bags.
It turned out to be her GPS (which was acceptable) but she mentioned
that there was a "pile of at least 50 irons/steamers on the floor". So I
quess it's your call whether you want to chance having it confiscated or not. Maybe carrying it in your carry-on might work ?? :roll:

colorcrazie July 28th, 2008 01:00 PM

They scan your carry-ons just like at the airport.
Marty

Jeff of Torrance July 28th, 2008 02:50 PM

The "no iron" policy is there for a very good reason, that being the ship operators (and, possibly the agencies that regulate cruise lines) don't want some idiot passenger causing a fire in their cabin. I've been on enough cruises to note that there are no shortages of idiots.

NY Cruisin Mama July 28th, 2008 03:59 PM

Hi: I also have read that your cabin stewards are instucted to look for
any "illegal" stuff like irons and steamers and if they see it - will report to
the head housekeeper who, then in turn, will take it out of your cabin. (Don't know if they do this with your permission or not). :roll: