Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Default Formal dress for kids

HAL Oosterdam cruise Dec 22 to Mexican Riviera.
I think I have the formal wear for the adults covered but I have 13 & 7 y.o. boys and 15 & 11 y.o. girls.
Not even worried about the girls much, but do the boys need a jacket? or will shirt & tie be acceptable?

Also this time of year is it cool/warm out at sea? in port? Stressing about packing for all 6 of us.

Thanks, Michele
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Wow there is not much information out there about kids wear on formal night. So I will just go with my feeling. HAL seems like an upscale type of line I would get jackets for the boys. One being 13 years old and a teenager is part of the reason I feel this way. I was searching kids formal and find this outfit. No way a 13 year old will wear this but the 7 year old might. I just thought it was cute. This website does have affordable formal wear for kids I have never used it I don't know how good it is. http://www.b-onekids.com/boys-c-25.html This site has the offical cruise packing lists and may help you it includes things to bring for kids. Hope that helps.
http://www.bestcruisespot.com/cruise...king-list.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Even on HAL, I would not worry too much about the kids. A shirt and tie will probably be fine. Most people get that kids outgrow clothes fast and I would be amazed if you ran into any fashion police who were tacky enough to say anything.
Re. the weather, it can get a tad breezy and chilly on deck, especially coming back, but one sweater each and disposable poncho's would be all I would take. In fact, that's all we are taking on our December cruise.
Have fun. I've done the Mexican Riviera many times and you should have a ball.
Marty
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

technically the dress code has no age, all passengers are expected to dress formal on formal night. Your best bet for your boys would be to either get them a suit on sale at like JC Penney,watch the sale papers, shop the discount/thrift/consignment stores for like new suits, or you could go for suit separates-which they might get a little more wear out of.
Another option would be to rent a tux-price it out, it might be cheaper to rent a tux than buy a suit that your boys will outgrow and be able to wear only once.
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I love our son's pictures in their suits on formal nights shaking hands with the Captain. We once bought 2 Brooks Brothers suits for my oldest at Savers for only $12. He looked so good in them. On non formal nights we brought 1 pair of black dockers and they worked well. They would change back into their shorts after dinner. They actually liked getting dressed up and still do in the Marine Dress Blues.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Passenger

I would suggest finding a higher end consignment store (or just one that is picky about what they bring in). I don't know what is available in your area but in Ottawa I went with a friend to find a suit for her son to wear to a funeral and we found a Dior suit for $100! It looked as though it had never been worn (although it had been). He wore it to the funeral and then to a wedding before he grew out of it and she returned it to the same consignment store and picked up another suit for him. They had some that had never been worn but they were pricier. For younger kids you have a much better chance of finding something that has only been worn once or twice (or never) because kids grow out of them so fast. Good luck!
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal dress for kids

Michele,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
HAL Oosterdam cruise Dec 22 to Mexican Riviera.
I think I have the formal wear for the adults covered but I have 13 & 7 y.o. boys and 15 & 11 y.o. girls.
Not even worried about the girls much, but do the boys need a jacket? or will shirt & tie be acceptable?
Lisa is correct in saying that the dress code makes no distinction as to age. The boys should wear either "black tie" (tuxedos or dinner jacket outfits) or dark -- and I do mean DARK (navy, charcoal, etc.) -- business suits, and the girls should wear "party" dresses (either full length or cocktail length) with appropriate accessories on the "formal" evenings. Of course, dress shoes are in order for both boys and girls.

From a practical point of view, your best option depends upon the children's situation. If you expect that the boys will wear business suits on other occasions (weddings, award ceremonies, etc.) before they outgrow the suits, the most economical option probably would be to buy suits for them. If they will not have other occasions to wear them, it probably will cost less to rent formalwear for them. For the girls, you probably can find "party" dresses priced reasonably at major retailers.

Quote:
Also this time of year is it cool/warm out at sea? in port?
All of the ports of call along the Mexican Riviera are in the tropics, so expect daytime temperatures around 85 F (30 C) or warmer and nighttime temperatures around 70 F (20 C). You might want a light jacket or "shell" if you encounter rain.

The temperatures probably will be slightly cooler on the first day at sea and the last day at sea, when the ship is transiting to and from the tropics. On these two days, you might want a sweater, sweatshirt, or light jacket if you decide to go out on deck.

Norm.
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Beginner

I just wanted to send a quick "thank you" to you all. We spent Saturday shopping for the men/boys. Found great suits for the boys and I am very excited to see us all dressed up for the formal nights. They even got excited about looking so fine!!

Michele
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Beginner

My 15 year old has cruised 4 times with us; we usually get him a suit(a boy who likes to get dressed up) with 2 shirts and ties; and the other nights he wears khakis and polo shirts