Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Default Summer in the Mediterranean

We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise in June and I have read that women should keep their knees covered - no shorts - at a lot of the major attractions in port. What types of outfits would be appropriate? Most of my sundresses have bare shoulders, which I also hear is a no-no. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Get a very light weight shirt or shrug to put over the sundresses. I do this anyway, since it can get very cool on board the ships, especially at night.
Marty
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks, I never thought of that!
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Default summer in the Med

How about capris? They cover the knees and are much cooler than pants. If you love shorts (and have the legs for them!) carry a sarong, folded up small, then wrap it around you as a skirt. My teen daughters did this when we did a 2-week Med cruise. I always wear a light-weight blouse over a sleeveless shirt, then I'm prepared for the heat and the cathedrals. Have a great cruise, you will love the Mediterranean.
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Summer in the Mediterranean

Georgie Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We will be going on a Mediterranean cruise in June and I have read that women should keep their knees covered - no shorts - at a lot of the major attractions in port. What types of outfits would be appropriate? Most of my sundresses have bare shoulders, which I also hear is a no-no. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
The primary issue here is that many of the tours visit churches and other houses of worship that, in the Mediterranean region, tend to enforce fairly strict dress codes. Your sundresses will be fine, so long as they fall below the knee. Bring a couple wraps that coordinate with your sundresses so you'll have something with which to cover your shoulders while you are in the churches.

JTOL, many of those churches also require women to cover their hair with a hat or a scarf....

Norm.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Admiral

I have been reading up on this and I like the suggestions I read here. Very helpful. According to Slow Travel Italy the Italian women use scares and Pashmina Shawls something like this can change the look of your sundress so it can be used more then once and look different. This will help you to pack lighter and make more room for shoes.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Beginner

I am not going until June, but are you saying women can't wear shorts into churches, etc...never thought of this; we are doing 10 days on Galaxy to Mediterranean...any suggestions would be helpful.
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Admiral

wwleader,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am not going until June, but are you saying women can't wear shorts into churches, etc...never thought of this; we are doing 10 days on Galaxy to Mediterranean...any suggestions would be helpful.
In churches that have dress codes, the basic rule is that clothing must cover the shoulders, the knees, and everything in between -- and this is for both males and females, regardless of age. For ladies, the most comfortable option probably is skirts that fall below the knee with tops that are not sleeveless (and, of course, do not have plunging necklines) or sundresses. Capris also meet the letter of the requirement, but don't allow as much ventillation -- and I can assure you that the added ventillation of a skirt or a sundress will be welcome in the Mediterranean heat.

For guys, knickers actually are acceptable but slacks probably are the more practical option since most of us don't have other occasions to wear knickers.

Norm.
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Beginner

Thank you; at least I have lots of time to work on it..
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
wwleader,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
In churches that have dress codes, the basic rule is that clothing must cover the shoulders, the knees, and everything in between -- and this is for both males and females, regardless of age. For ladies, the most comfortable option probably is skirts that fall below the knee with tops that are not sleeveless (and, of course, do not have plunging necklines) or sundresses. Capris also meet the letter of the requirement, but don't allow as much ventillation -- and I can assure you that the added ventillation of a skirt or a sundress will be welcome in the Mediterranean heat.

For guys, knickers actually are acceptable but slacks probably are the more practical option since most of us don't have other occasions to wear knickers.

Norm.
Beleive or not Norm Skirts and Sundress can be NOT very comfortable to wear. I would much prefer the Capris. But thanks for the input cause I'm going to the Med in May 08.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Captain

Some very good suggestions here. We took the Grand Med in May 2007. The few days prior, we spent in Rome. The mornings and evenings in late April were cool enough for a light sweater. From mid morning to mid afternoon it was warm enough for a long sleeve or light sweater. From May 1 - May 13, while on the cruise, I was comfortable in most ports wearing shorts, light weight slacks, and capris and loose skirts. I wore shorts, only when I knew we would not be entering into churches or cathedrals. We packed rain ponchos every day and carried light sweaters or jackets into port to be prepared. I believe I remember the capers having a weather forecast for each port, or at least it was posted on-board. When we returned to Rome for a couple of days mid-April it was extremely hot during the day, so I can imagine that June - August must be very hot.

Since I get cold in the dining room and theatre, I always pack a shawl or Pashimi for our cruises. The shops on the Carnival ships sell some very nice ones at about $10 each.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Admiral

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Beleive or not Norm Skirts and Sundress can be NOT very comfortable to wear. I would much prefer the Capris. But thanks for the input cause I'm going to the Med in May 08.
Yes, I do believe that dresses and skirts can be uncomfortable or even embarrassing in certain situations. In particular, I remember a (female) band director in my junior high school advising the girls in the band not to wear miniskirts for our band concert because, when seated on stage with foot spots on the band, they could afford the audience quite a view....

And skirts really are impractical for certain activities, like riding horseback.

But I don't think anybody was suggesting that one wear skirts where they would be embarrassing or impractical.

Norm.