Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Sorry, Brad, but several lines do NOT require the kind of dress code that you are talking about, especially for casual night. NCL and Carnival....definitely not, HAL not so much, etc.
Marty
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Default Casual night dress

They may not require it, but many prefer it. In any case, the rules for formal night was more or less to look appropriate across the board, not just for one specific line. I know RCI specifically wants a pair of slacks, shirt, and tie for their formal night, with a jacket being optional. Carnival and RCI are the two I have done the most research on, but I will have the dress codes for all CLIA member lines memorized within a few months due to the fact I will be selling cruises before too long. I tend to think it is always better to go with slacks for a man instead of jeans for dinner because it simply looks better. There are still a few lines that require black tie for formal nights so it is a good idea for men and women to learn the etiquette for that, in case they decide to take a cruise on such a line. I can only speak from my understanding of it however.
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

With all due respect, Brad, if you are to be selling cruises, it might help your career to be able to steer people to the type of line that fits their preferences...in dress code as well as activities, etc. Some people love to dress up...I do, hubby does not. So, we usually go on a cruise line that does not require true formal wear. I can do my thing, he does his and we both have fun. He loves the quirky take on clothes, especially formal nights. Last cruise, he wore a silk formal jacket and trousers....from China. Mandarin collar and embroidery. He is Irish! He got nothing but compliments.
Just FYI, I've been on 36 or 37 cruises...lost track along the line. I grew up in a household where men all had black tux, with white waiting in the closet for summer. Women had separate shoes, purses, etc. for different seasons. Except for gloves...elbow length white for formal, with silk shoes died to match the gown. ETc., etc. I am SO glad those days are over. Those who long for that particular aspect of the good old days never had to wear the layers and layers of undergarments that we did.
Cheers!
Marty
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Brad, I suppose if your in the cruise business your answer should agree with what the cruise lines publish but in the real world things are a little different. Formal on most of the top three cruise lines means that most will be dressed with a suit (some tuxes). Princess doesn't even require a tie lately on formal evenings (open shirt is fine) & jeans are OK on casual nights with a golf type shirt. Princess doesn't say a word if not dressed as requested & on most formal nights my jacket is usually hung on the back of the chair. If it weren't for the better food in the dr I wouldn't bother to dress up at all & just eat at the buffet. Some people spend to much time worrying about how others dress instead of just enjoying themselves & can't enjoy themselves if another cruiser doesn't fit in the mold.
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Default more thoughts, and why i look at things the way I do

I was just giving some general rules of thumb was all. I, of course, was not getting into specifics just yet. I mean no disrespect to anyone's preferences, but was siting some examples. I, personally, hate to wear t-shirts. I tend to aim more for polo and golf shirts for casual wear, with the occasional hawaiian shirt thrown in. I consider dinner on a cruise to be a chance to impress while in a relaxed atmosphere. Obviously there would be some things that are unacceptable. If a man were to wear a pair of jeans to dinner, assuming the line allows it, they should be a bit dressier than ordinary blue jeans. Perhaps a Black, White, or Khaki colored denim would work well. I do understand personal preference is key, but you don't have to go outside of your element to appear a bit more dressy. It is simply a matter of adapting your personal style to the situation. My main thing with my post is that blue jeans and jeans with holes in them shouldn't be worn. There are plenty of variations that will allow someone to look nice without being over the top dressy.
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Default further explanation of my intent

Rich, I am just learning right now, but I was simply citing some examples. I am well aware of what Carnival and Royal Caribbean publish(though I would still tend to lean torward a pair or two of black slacks or khakis being packed just to be sure you were prepared for the formal nights). My goal was to explain some general rules and differences between the types of dress between all lines, nothing specific. The two cruises I am taking next year I am using for a dual vacation/business purpose to hopefully put towards my CLIA ACC certification. I fully understand there will always be people who wear jeans to casual nights and suits to the formal, but there will also be people who wear suits/sport coats and slacks to casual night and tuxedos to the formal night, even on the most relaxed of lines. I am of the latter opinion myself, but to each their own. The main thing is that on most lines there will be variations on the dress code. I certainly did not intend to get this debate started, but do think people should take the dress codes and come up with their own idea of how they wish to dress, in accordance with it. I want to get people thinking about how they choose to present themselves in short. The choice is always going to be up to them.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: further explanation of my intent

Brad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Rich, I am just learning right now, but I was simply citing some examples. I am well aware of what Carnival and Royal Caribbean publish(though I would still tend to lean torward a pair or two of black slacks or khakis being packed just to be sure you were prepared for the formal nights). My goal was to explain some general rules and differences between the types of dress between all lines, nothing specific. The two cruises I am taking next year I am using for a dual vacation/business purpose to hopefully put towards my CLIA ACC certification. I fully understand there will always be people who wear jeans to casual nights and suits to the formal, but there will also be people who wear suits/sport coats and slacks to casual night and tuxedos to the formal night, even on the most relaxed of lines. I am of the latter opinion myself, but to each their own. The main thing is that on most lines there will be variations on the dress code. I certainly did not intend to get this debate started, but do think people should take the dress codes and come up with their own idea of how they wish to dress, in accordance with it. I want to get people thinking about how they choose to present themselves in short. The choice is always going to be up to them.
As a travel agent, your answer to any question regarding "proper" attire should be to provide the customer with the guidelines issued by the cruise line in question, with clear indication that compliance with the published guideline is expected during the cruise. If the customer indicates a desire to wear something different, you should suggest a different cruise line that's compatible with the customer's preferences.

There are two reasons for this.

>> 1. Your customer will invariably be happier on cruises where they "fit in" with the other customers rather than on cruises where they don't "fit in," and they are much more likely to "fit in" on a cruise line that matches their preference for dress, etc., than on a cruise line that does not.

>> 2. On a cruise line where your customer is a misfit, your customer is likely to draw ire of other passengers that will degrade both your customer's experience and the other passengers' experience beyond that of a normal "misfit" situation.

It's true that you have to do what your customer wants if your customer insists on booking on a particular line.

If your customer expresses concern over the cost of complying with a cruise line's dress code, it's fair (1) to suggest a different line that has a different dress code and (2) to suggest ways to conform to the dress code at low cost. Conversely, it is totally inappropriate to suggest that your customer can get away with not complying with the dress code.

Norm.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

I am aware of this, but am still learning, so you will have to forgive if I make a few mistakes. Still processing all of the information.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Admiral

There are very few cruise lines that require true formal wear. Folks who can afford that kind of cruise are likely to already own the appropriate attire. If not, they can certainly afford it. I just have a problem with trying to get people to spend money on clothing that they have no other need for and will not really need on the cruise.
Marty
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Admiral

In my particular case, I will be needing tuxedos often. Galas, benefits, award ceremonies(when I am invited or win one), and ballroom dance. My primary career is as an actor, writer, and filmmaker. Working as a travel agent is one of my planned "day job" businesses. I am still a travel student so I am learning still.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Brad,
I wasn't referring to you. I meant your future customers. I have had people come to me (knowing that I am a cruise junkie) and ask if they have to buy a tux or dark suit in order to go on a cruise. You need to know whether the cruise they have chosen really requires it or not.
Some folks feel that all cruisers should be forced to conform to old style, out of style, standards of dress. On some lines, they should. On others, they are likely to look overdressed, which is just as much as a faux pas as the reverse.
Marty
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Admiral

I suppose that would depend on their sense of style. I personally try to keep up with current fashion(not easy considering that changes from one month to the next) but part of fashion is also finding your personal style. One thing I know about is image, since it accounts for about 90% of my primary career(acting). I do think that, at least in the evenings, people should make sure they look nice, but they should certainly be comfortable. Black tie is certainly only one stylish option, suits are another, but pants and a nice shirt can also work for someone, depending on the type of person they are. Just my thoughts.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Another factor is where they live. We are in Florida, and "dressy" down here tends to mean a t-shirt with nothing written on it.
Okay, maybe I am exaggerating, but not by much!
Marty
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Another factor is where they live. We are in Florida, and "dressy" down here tends to mean a t-shirt with nothing written on it.
Okay, maybe I am exaggerating, but not by much!
Marty
Where I live, "dressy" is wearing anything that identifies you as a Green Bay Packers fan (cheeseheads for formal night only!).

Golden Princess 8/30/2008 -- 1st cruise but not the last!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Most people where I live think dressy means something without holes in it, except on Sunday(redneck area of the Bible(looks strangely at the the screen with an eyebrow raised while writing this) belt). I, however, having lived in a larger city, have a more cosmopolitan outlook on fashion. That plus GQ and Details fills in the gaps for me.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Jayne, I'm with you. I think you are onto something about bringing alot of black and white and adding splashes of colour to it. With the airlines charging for luggage now, we need to rethink what we are bringing with us. Black always looks classy and sexy. Can't go wrong there.
It is a new era with fuel surcharges and luggage charges and overweight luggage charges. Need to travel smart.
Did I read correctly....are nice jeans NOW allowed?? For real??

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Sally,
Depending on the cruise line, nice jeans are now allowed...just not for formal/dressy nights.
I find jeans too hot for the Caribbean...and for Florida, so I rarely wear them, but lots of folks live in them, including my DH.
Marty