CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   What to wear where???? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/343855-what-wear-where.html)

Sassy2005 December 27th, 2007 03:18 AM

What to wear where????
 
Ok this board is really confusing me as to what is proper attire for certain areas.
I got the formal dining thing. I have formal dresses and cocktail dresses, and my husband has his Army dress uniform. Other than that, I am slightly confused. So smart casual he should wear a sports jacket and slacks? I can wear a pant suit? We have that sort of attire. Then casual in the dining room is like a button up shirt and slacks? My husband is a t-shirt guy, so if I don't tell him he can't wear jeans and a t-shirt, he will.
Also, I've seen people complain about dress at the buffet. What's appropriate there? Once again, husband is a t-shirt guy. People say no swimsuits, so what is appropriate cover up? I have board shorts but they aren't exactly lengthy. Are tank tops appropriate cover up for women, or should I wear a t-shirt? What are everyone's thought on flip flops? I obviously wouldn't wear them in the dining room, but I'd wear them about anywhere else.

katlady December 27th, 2007 02:08 PM

Dress codes vary widely depending on the cruiseline. In the buffet reguardless of cruise line Jeans and a t-shirt should be find there. Also I would think that shorts and tank tops would be fine in the buffet area. Just not a bathsuit by itself. Flip-flops are also fine in the buffet area. Eating any meals (Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner) in the dining room does require nice dress. No tank tops, no flip flops.

If you are on Carnival this cruiseline no longer prohibits jeans in the dining room so on casual night on a carnival cruise a nice jean is allowed. However, the other extreme is Celebrity in which case jeans are prohibited from the dining room. Carnival has only has Formal and Smart Casual nights. Celebrity has Formal, Informal and smart Casual nights. Informal is a nice pant suit, or a nice dress suit and casual is a nice pant and blouse (no t-shirts, no jeans). I hope that helped and didn't just confuse you more.

Donna December 27th, 2007 04:31 PM

Yep, flip flops are fine all day around the ship and in port, also by the pool, etc. You can also wear them to the buffet for breakfast and or lunch if you want.

trish1c December 28th, 2007 03:40 PM

On most mass market lines daytime is casual & you will see everything, even things you woudl prefer not to have seen :roll:

Smart casual is fine. Think of it this way, if you can wear it on a golf course (other than the short) or to the O-Club on post, you should be fine. Some lines do prefer men to have collared shirts so a T-shirt probably won't cut it but a golf shirt or a Hawian shirt will be fine. he doesn't always have to have a jacket on; I "make" my guy throw one over whatever he's wearing so I can sneak things into the pockets or steal it when the AC gets to me. :D

Sassy2005 December 30th, 2007 02:54 AM

Well I appreciate all the help. The advice really did help because I had to break it to my husband that he can't wear jeans in the dining room, and he needs to go buy slacks. I even gave him the link to the Royal Caribbean oage that described what is "formal," "smart casual," and "casual." He was not happy, but he could probably use some slacks!

mehawk December 30th, 2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Well I appreciate all the help. The advice really did help because I had to break it to my husband that he can't wear jeans in the dining room, and he needs to go buy slacks. I even gave him the link to the Royal Caribbean oage that described what is "formal," "smart casual," and "casual." He was not happy, but he could probably use some slacks!

Another one I don't understand... <shaking head> why is it so tough to dress up somewhat??

katlady December 30th, 2007 09:48 PM

Mehawk everyone is different some people feel comfort in a tux some people in jeans and a t-shirt. I will never understand why some women say they feel comfortable in high heel shoes they will so uncomfortable to me. Seriously does this shoe look comfortable to wear.

It is cute as all get out and a bargin at only $740 I love fantasy shoe shopping. I'm sorry what were we talking about. LOL
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/produ...BGX05MZ_mp.jpg

Rev22:17 January 2nd, 2008 06:08 PM

Re: What to wear where????
 
Sassy2005,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Ok this board is really confusing me as to what is proper attire for certain areas.
I got the formal dining thing. I have formal dresses and cocktail dresses, and my husband has his Army dress uniform.

A military uniform is quite approrpiate for the "formal" evenings. Or course, it should be his "mess dress" ("black tie") uniform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Other than that, I am slightly confused. So smart casual he should wear a sports jacket and slacks? I can wear a pant suit? We have that sort of attire. Then casual in the dining room is like a button up shirt and slacks? My husband is a t-shirt guy, so if I don't tell him he can't wear jeans and a t-shirt, he will.

The term "smart casual" is inherently confusing because it is not part of traditional social etiquette. The first reference that I have seen to this term was in 2001, when Princess changed to its present dress codes. In Princess's literature, the explanation of "Smart Casual" is identical to the explanation of (evening) "casual" attire before the change -- gents wear a shirt with a collar (no "T" shirt) and slacks (no bluejeans) and ladies wear a top with either slacks or a skirt. More recently, however, posts on this board indicate that Royal Caribbean is using the term "Smart Casual" to mean what Celebrity now calls "Informal" -- gents wear a jacket but not a tie and ladies wear a cocktail dress or a pantsuit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Also, I've seen people complain about dress at the buffet. What's appropriate there? Once again, husband is a t-shirt guy. People say no swimsuits, so what is appropriate cover up? I have board shorts but they aren't exactly lengthy. Are tank tops appropriate cover up for women, or should I wear a t-shirt? What are everyone's thought on flip flops? I obviously wouldn't wear them in the dining room, but I'd wear them about anywhere else.

I usually wear a shirt and shorts over my swimsuit when going to and from the pool area, so it's no trouble to pull them back on. "T" shirts are fine for daytime wear, but I find it more convenient to bring polo or golf shirts because they pass muster for "casual" evenings as well as for wear during the daytime. Also, flip-flops are acceptable footwear during the daytime.

For ladies, the wraps that are part of a lot of swimsuit outfits geneerally are adequate "cover-up" for the buffet restaurant. If you wear a one piece suit, you can just pull your shorts on over it so it no longer looks like a swim suit.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

LisaK January 8th, 2008 10:20 AM

Sassy -on Royal Caribbean smart casual for men means a nice pair of dressy slacks and a button-down shirt, most of the men did not wear sportsjackets and or ties on smart casual nights

lindazoo January 25th, 2008 04:56 PM

buffet; make sure you wear more than a bathing suit. Cover up a bit.
dining room/smart casual; men- slacks and a sports shirt, women pant suit, dress, whatever, just not shorts and halter tops

formal night; long or short dress for women, men suit or sports coat and slacks.

Remember it is your TRIP, dress how you feel comfortable.

2bethinagain February 6th, 2008 07:44 AM

Dress?
 
OK now I'm confused. reallyI am. The last post said no halters for formal. I bought a really pretty coctail dress for one of the formal nights and it is halter style, I did buy a wrap to go around the shoulders, is this not ok?
And has anybody ever seen a cruise turn someone away because they were not dressed right?

colorcrazie February 7th, 2008 01:32 PM

A halter top style formal dress is fine. I think what was meant is the barely there casual halter that some women wear. I used to love them when I was young...and thin..enough, because they are cool, temp wise, not fashion wise. But, don't get too hung up on terminology.
Marty

Rev22:17 February 7th, 2008 08:20 PM

Re: Dress?
 
2bethinagain,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
OK now I'm confused. reallyI am. The last post said no halters for formal. I bought a really pretty coctail dress for one of the formal nights and it is halter style, I did buy a wrap to go around the shoulders, is this not ok?

Hmmm....

Some cocktail dresses are more formal than others. The option of a cocktail dress for "formal" evenings presumes a style, material, etc., that's approprate for that standard of dress -- which obviously can be a judgement call. I'm not going to say that all cocktail dress with halter ties would not be appropriate, but somebody else apparently thinks so. But in any case, I doubt that it would get you turned away from the dining room, shows, etc., on any of the major cruise lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
And has anybody ever seen a cruise turn someone away because they were not dressed right?

Yes, I have seen Celebrity's staff turn people away from the shows as well as from the dining room due to inappropriate attire -- though not on every cruise. Standards of dress tend to degenerate to "anything goes" when cruise lines fail to enforce them, totally changing the ambiance of the cruise.

Norm.

RTALLEN February 10th, 2008 04:40 PM

You could do a nudist cruise, then all of this would be moot :mrgreen: rofl

Sassy2005 February 10th, 2008 10:29 PM

Apparently you can wear jeans with a spaghetti strap tank top with your bra straps showing in the dining room and no one says anything... not that I did this, but I did see someone else. I also saw very few jackets on smart casual night. I saw a lot of jeans. And not even nice jeans. We followed the dress code, but most did not. Formal nights were typically good, but casual was a free for all. What's the point in having a dress cose if it's not enforced???? I also saw bikini tops in the Windjammer. Maybe they didn't care because she was skinny???????

2bethinagain February 13th, 2008 11:34 AM

Nude No Way!
 
For my hubby only! But that does not mean I can not dress sexy, not slizzy! Just to see the other men looking some times gives your spirit a boost! :-P

Jayne10 March 16th, 2008 05:15 PM

I started a diet before I found out about the cruise. I have already lost a size in pants, and have every intention of keeping on. I sure don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe just for the trip. New is nice, but when travelling, you want to be confortable. I am planning on going with 90% black and white with maybe a splash of red, or as someone has said, yellow. Everything will mix and match, and everyone will think I brought way more clothes than I did. I have a lot of black and white now. White jeans can be dressed up with a v-neck t, pretty beads, and nice shoes, and voila....dressed up. I have a black and white print voile layered skirt, that by golly, I might have to take a tuck in it, but it goes for sure, with a longsleeve white shirt, that can go with black or red under it. I have seen some things that would be perfect....i want a slinky black number for formal night.....I have one that is not black, but not sure if it will fit. I always pack light, and never wear everything I take, so just so my family doesnt go Ewwweeeee.....I have to mix and match.
Jayne

RichC March 20th, 2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
What's the point in having a dress cose if it's not enforced????

It's give them an opportunity to sell those overpriced photo's.

Sassy2005 March 21st, 2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
What's the point in having a dress cose if it's not enforced????

It's give them an opportunity to sell those overpriced photo's.

LOL very true. However, I think in the future I will not worry so much. I'll dress up for formal nights, but I won't make my husband wear a jacket for smart casual, and I may dress down a little more. I forgot who posted about halter dresses, but both of my formal dresses (one long, one short, knee length) were halter, as you can see in my photo. I love halter dresses. I work out so sometimes I like to show off my back!

HoustonTodd March 21st, 2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Well I appreciate all the help. The advice really did help because I had to break it to my husband that he can't wear jeans in the dining room, and he needs to go buy slacks. I even gave him the link to the Royal Caribbean oage that described what is "formal," "smart casual," and "casual." He was not happy, but he could probably use some slacks!

Another one I don't understand... <shaking head> why is it so tough to dress up somewhat??

Because ... some ... of ... us ... don't ... feel ... comfortable ... dressed ... up. I have to dress up for work, when I am outside of work I WILL not dress up. I hate it, I am uncomfortable in it. Maybe you like it, maybe it feels good to you, maybe it makes you feel good about yourself. It doesn't do that for everyone.

I think dressed up is ugly. I think most women when they get dressed up for a formal occaision look FAR worse than they do on a normal every day-to-day basis. I think formal clothes are by and large unatractive.

It is simply cultural differences, and there is no right or wrong within that. Oh, rules of modesty should always apply I would think, but beyond that, whether it is a tux or jeans and a polo, or (my prefered dress) khaki shorts and a polo, what difference does it make? It is just clothes! It is just simple cultural differences, there is no moral right or wrong in it.

LisaK March 21st, 2008 09:43 AM

HoustonTodd- when you cruise you KNOW that the cruiselines have specific dress codes for dinner and out of respect for the cruiseline, the cruise personnel and your fellow passengers you are expected to follow those guidelines. Most cruiselines offer casual options for formal night so that you don't have to get dressed up if you so choose.
As for your point about formal wear i have to totally disagree with you on that point, i think that my husband looks so dapper and sexy when he gets all dressed up and i feel very special and extra sexy when i get all dressed up in a form-fitting halter gown cut low in the back with a slit up to the knee

HoustonTodd March 21st, 2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
As for your point about formal wear i have to totally disagree with you on that point, i think that my husband looks so dapper and sexy when he gets all dressed up and i feel very special and extra sexy when i get all dressed up in a form-fitting halter gown cut low in the back with a slit up to the knee

And that is ok that you feel that way, I don't sit in judgment over that, it is simply a difference in socio-cultural views. I have no problem with people who like to dress up. And I will wear slacks/shirt/tie for formal night - but no jacket, and definately no tux. My point though is that those who are nazi's about fancy dress around here generally act as though there is something inherantly or morally wrong with those of us who care for a more casual look. I take offense to that very ethno-centric and narrow minded opinion. Preferences are just that, preferences. And if your night is ruined because someone else chose to wear jeans then you are far too uptight.

RichC March 21st, 2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
HoustonTodd- when you cruise you KNOW that the cruiselines have specific dress codes for dinner and out of respect for the cruiseline, the cruise personnel and your fellow passengers you are expected to follow those guidelines. Most cruiselines offer casual options for formal night so that you don't have to get dressed up if you so choose.
As for your point about formal wear i have to totally disagree with you on that point, i think that my husband looks so dapper and sexy when he gets all dressed up and i feel very special and extra sexy when i get all dressed up in a form-fitting halter gown cut low in the back with a slit up to the knee

You're saying you dress out of respect to please the cruise line, cruise personnel & the passengers? WOW ! Like they really care how you dress. The only thing the ship personal care about is how happy you are so they'll get their tips. I dress for how I feel what is appropriate & if it isn't up to the so called standards of other passengers in the DR it's to bad their meal is degraded because of it. They've got other problems if my dress isn't up to their idea of what my appearance should look like.
If dressing up makes you feel special, then do it every evening of you like but don't begrudge others for not doing so.
When they start offering the same exact food at the buffets is when I'll stop eating in the main dr.

geek March 23rd, 2008 02:00 PM

1. Do not overpack
2. Dress for dinner as you would at any nice resturant, that really is the dress code.
3. Formal wear is really no longer a "have to" Suit for a guy, nice attire for the women, that really is it.
4. Most of the time you will be strolling some where, so comfortable footwear, shorts, tee shirts is the uniform that makes sense.
5. We have cruised numerous times, my wife over packs, always regrets it.
6. Transporting luggage from the time you leave your home till you get home is always a pain, and less is better. I travel extensively during the year and if you get by with 1 carryon and 1 checked bag that is the way to go.

Rev22:17 March 24th, 2008 07:31 PM

HoustonTodd,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Because ... some ... of ... us ... don't ... feel ... comfortable ... dressed ... up. I have to dress up for work, when I am outside of work I WILL not dress up. I hate it, I am uncomfortable in it. Maybe you like it, maybe it feels good to you, maybe it makes you feel good about yourself. It doesn't do that for everyone.

Fortunately, the cruise industry is big enough to offer options for all tastes and styles, with several lines catering to the "all casual" crowd.

>> In the "premium" segment, both Azamara Cruises and Disney Cruises are "all casual."

>> In the "mainstream" segment, Norwegian Cruise Line now advertises "formal optional" evenings rather than "formal" evenings.

And there are also several lines that offer "all casual" cruises aboard smaller vessels. If you don't wish to dress for "formal" and semiformal" or "informal" evenings, these lines are very viable options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I think dressed up is ugly. I think most women when they get dressed up for a formal occaision look FAR worse than they do on a normal every day-to-day basis. I think formal clothes are by and large unatractive.

Some of us obviously don't agree with that! Many of us think that ladies and gentlemen look quite classy in their formalwear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
It is simply cultural differences, and there is no right or wrong within that. Oh, rules of modesty should always apply I would think, but beyond that, whether it is a tux or jeans and a polo, or (my prefered dress) khaki shorts and a polo, what difference does it make? It is just clothes! It is just simple cultural differences, there is no moral right or wrong in it.

I agree that dressing in "casual" attire is not immoral, but I also think that the rules of social etiquette and common courtesy govern this situation. When I book a cruise that includes "formal" evenings, I expect the ambiance and style of "formal" evenings -- and FBOW, the proper dress of the participants is a major component of that ambiance and style. Those who book such a cruise with no intention of conforming to the prescribed evening attire, and thus offer the cruise line the choice of acting to enforce the evening dress standards or failing to deliver the product for which other passengers have paid, show themsevles to be inconsiderate buffoons who are totally lacking in class and social grace. In this context, the obnoxious attitude of "It's my vacation and I'll do as I please!" is the epitomy of arrogance. Social etiquette dictates that those who do not wish to dress should either choose an "all casual" line or limit themselves to the "casual" alternatives offered by the line that they do choose. On many cruise lines, the latter are very limited.

Norm.

katlady March 25th, 2008 02:22 PM

I agree with you Norm, there the cruise lines vary just as people's taste vary. So a casual cruiser would be comfort on NCL just as a cruiser who likes to dress up would be more comfortable on Celebrity. The problem arises when the TA or the person booking doesn't understand Cruise lines differences and puts a casual cruiser on a formal line. I'm in between Celebrity is to formal and NCL is too causal. Carnival is just right for me I like jeans and formal night. :D

Hub June 11th, 2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Mehawk everyone is different some people feel comfort in a tux some people in jeans and a t-shirt. I will never understand why some women say they feel comfortable in high heel shoes they will so uncomfortable to me. Seriously does this shoe look comfortable to wear.

It is cute as all get out and a bargin at only $740 I love fantasy shoe shopping. I'm sorry what were we talking about. LOL
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/produ...BGX05MZ_mp.jpg

No, they don't look comfy, but they do look HOT :-P

Andrea007 July 13th, 2008 09:19 PM

I think it would be fun to dress up at least one night and look pretty, and eat a fancy meal with your friends. My boyfriend who only wears t-shirts or polos with jeans or shorts and always the same pair of athletic shoes, is excited to wear his "pimp shirt" which is just a longsleeved button up from american eagle. Its nice to know we can wear jeans to dinner though, cuts down on packing, and we are more comfortable in them.

SandyBreit July 15th, 2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Well I appreciate all the help. The advice really did help because I had to break it to my husband that he can't wear jeans in the dining room, and he needs to go buy slacks. I even gave him the link to the Royal Caribbean oage that described what is "formal," "smart casual," and "casual." He was not happy, but he could probably use some slacks!

Another one I don't understand... <shaking head> why is it so tough to dress up somewhat??

Because ... some ... of ... us ... don't ... feel ... comfortable ... dressed ... up. I have to dress up for work...

HoustonTodd, I think I'm in love with you...

Not so much that I think dressed up is ugly - but... I work at home, if I'm wearing shoes I am dressed up, if you get my drift.

I'm not sure everyone can relate to this, but I think "dressed up" varies according to where you live. Here in the Michigan UP - very rural to be sure -- the nicest restaurant is happy to see you if you look clean (and pay your bill). Hey, you all that want to dress to kill wouldn't look so good if it wasn't for the comparison to the rest of us, right?! :-P

brad813 September 14th, 2008 12:09 AM

rule of thumb for casual nights
 
Most lines require pair of slacks(either black, navy, or khaki) and button up shirt for the casual nights, sometimes a tie is required. For the informal nights just add a sport coat and tie. Formal nights vary by line but can vary from a black or navy suit to black tie(tux and appropriate black tie type accessories, look it up and memorize black tie ettiquette...........will serve you well). I get that there are athletic guys out there who don't like to get dressed up, but lay it out for him as a chance to shine as if he were in a hot manhattan or los angeles 4 star resteraunt. Really all the dress codes are about are atmospher and the practicality of making sure nobody dresses inappropriately to dine. Btw, just to mention, the only places he should be wearing white is as a shirt, a pocket square, or as a white/ivory dinner jacket(though definitely not required on Royal Caribbean) this time of the year. These are just basic rules to go by.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1