Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Default Formal Night Dress...

Thanks to some major weight loss over the past year (yay wedding!), all of my 'formal' outfits no longer fit. I have purchased a new dress for the cruise, but since there are 2 formal nights, I'm wondering... is it alright to wear the same dress to both or should I be on the lookout for yet another dress? I don't have reason besides the cruise to wear such dresses (not too many events in my life *lol*)

Thanks for the advise!
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Is there anyone you might be able to borrow a dress from? Also, I have seen people mention cocktail dresses or just a plain colored skirt with a nice blouse as appropriate. It may be cheaper to buy like a black skirt with a nice top. Also, if you have a Ross's in your area I got a nice formal dress there once for about $10-15. Congrats on the weight loss by the way!

Old December 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Captain

You can wear the same dress both nights if you want. I would and a shawl, or scarf, maybe a dressy sweater to make it look different. Accessories can make a big change in a dress.
I have a long black skirt for formal nights. One night I wear a gold top and the other night a silver one. makes life easier for me.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal Night Dress...

precious_blue,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks to some major weight loss over the past year (yay wedding!), all of my 'formal' outfits no longer fit. I have purchased a new dress for the cruise, but since there are 2 formal nights, I'm wondering... is it alright to wear the same dress to both or should I be on the lookout for yet another dress? I don't have reason besides the cruise to wear such dresses (not too many events in my life *lol*)

Thanks for the advise!
I don't see any reason not to wear the same dress on both "formal" evenings. As others have noted, you might want to bring two sets of accessories to give it a different look.

Norm.
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your tips and advice! I was able to find another dress for $40 this weekend so now the hard part will be deciding which formal dress for which formal night (one dress is more formal than the other).
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Admiral

The first formal night with the Captains Cocktail Party is usually the more "dressy" of the two.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Beginner

I shall keep that in mind, thanks!!
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Take a look and vote in the fantasy formal dress poll. I made sure to include cheaper priced dresses and plus sized dresses. http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587998

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

woohoo $40.00 for a cocktail dress, you rock!
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Passenger

wear the same thing, add a shaw if or scart if you want it to look different but likely no one will care.
people from the Unkied Kingdom only get to bring 40 lbs or something like that and they pack light wearing the same outfit every other day.
No big deal!
It is your vacation.
They do take your picture on formal nights so if you plan to do that you really won't care if it is the same outfie as you likely will only buy the one best picture.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Formal Night Dress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by precious_blue

Thanks for the advise!
Have you tried a consignment shop? Many excellent condition dresses end up there. People pay big $$$, wear a couple times, and someone else gets it at a fraction of the cost...not a bad deal!
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Nights

I would not worry about wearing the same formal dress twice....who will remember, but you?? You don't have to go to the dining room on the formal night if you don't want to...the buffets on the decks are always just as good on most ships.