Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Beginner

We are flying on United, next week for our cruise. We are allowed TWO checked bags each, at no cost because we purchased our tickets last September (thank goodness)

HOWEVER, I almost made a hugh mistake by not only paying attention to the 50 lb weight restriction....but also the linear inches for the size of the suitcase. I happened to be purchasing two new suticases for my hubby and me, and an airline employee pointed out to me that I was getting ready to purchase luggage that was over 62 linear inches (25 inch laggage piece)...it would have cost me $100.00 per suitcase for that mistake!!!!!
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Passenger

The only thing left, really, is to charge for luggage by the pound!
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Default Luggage Locks

Since we are talking about luggage let me tell you about my recent purchase of TSA approved locks. Before my recent cruise I bought four TSA locks two for my wife and two for myself,while learning how to set the the combinations one one of them locked and I was unable to open it no matter what combination I used,even the factory setting did not work,so I decided not to use them in case it happened while attached to the luggage. Yesterday I started to fiddle the with the lock,still no luck so I went on the Internet to see if I could find some help. What I found at the TSA website was a eye opener as far as locking ones luggage,in the New York airport they have pulled out from under the luggage conveyor belt 2444 locks in one month,some with the zippers still attached. To see the pictures of this go to http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/custome...agedlocks.shtm

Since the rule of not locking bags came out I have been using the small cable ties to keep the zippers together,I think I will keep on doing it that way.

Also you can use the small bread ties or the small key rings. At least the zippers are held together,a thief will get in no matter what lock you use.

My advice remove all locks from your luggage.
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have always maintained that luggage locks are basically a waste of time. The cable ties secure the zippers so it keeps "the honest people honest." You need a scissors, nail trimmers or some other small cutting tool to get the cable ties off.

If a baggage handler, porter or other person really wants to get into your luggage they will be able to take a screwdriver or knife to the zipper and have it opened in less time than you can undo the combination on the luggage locks.

Plus, as OldSalt stated, the locks are notorious for getting stuck on conveyor belts and ending up on the floor or tearing your bag.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me