Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default Change in Airline Luggage Policy....

Everybody,

United Airlines just announced a new policy for checked luggage on DOMESTIC flights. For (1) travel by non-members or general members of "Mileage Plus" (United's frequent flier program) (2) occurring on or after 05 May 2008 (3) on non-refundable coach tickets (4) purchased on or after 04 February 2008, the airline has reduced the free baggage allowance to ONE (1) item that does not exceed fifty (50) pounds. The airline will assess a service charge of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for a second checked item.

It appears that this service fee will be assessed at each check-in, so one would pay it twice on a standard round trip.

Note that this new policy does NOT apply to passengers who are "Premier" (or higher) members of "Mileage Plus" and that it does NOT apply to passengers travelling on first class, business class, refundable (unrestricted) coach, or "Mileage Plus" award tickets.

When going on a cruise, I strongly recommend booking on an airline that has not adopted this policy.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Pack light!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Sure hope this new policy is not going to become a "trend" with the other airlines. But.......

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Default Baggage!

Next thing you know we will not be able to wear clothes aboard to lighten the load! Every company in the travel industry trying to rack you over the coals! These companies are going to lose business......
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Admiral

mehawk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Pack light!
No. Rather, boycott United Airlines until this policy gets reversed.

Unfortunately, United won't notice my participation in the boycott since I fly on Delta or anther SkyTeam airline. Nonetheless, I would be calling competitors to see if they would match my standing to gain my business even if I were a "Premier" member of "Mileage Plus." Having one's family members or other travel companions nailed for $25 (presumably each way) for a second checked suitcase when going on a cruise is NOT acceptable.

Norm.
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Mermaid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Sure hope this new policy is not going to become a "trend" with the other airlines. But.......
If United loses noticeable business because of it, it won't.

Norm.
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
mehawk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Pack light!
No. Rather, boycott United Airlines until this policy gets reversed.

Unfortunately, United won't notice my participation in the boycott since I fly on Delta or anther SkyTeam airline. Nonetheless, I would be calling competitors to see if they would match my standing to gain my business even if I were a "Premier" member of "Mileage Plus." Having one's family members or other travel companions nailed for $25 (presumably each way) for a second checked suitcase when going on a cruise is NOT acceptable.

Norm.
Good point. I don't fly hardly ever anyways.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

It looks like we need to add US Airways to the list of airlines that we need to boycott. US Airways just announced a new luggage policy similar to United's ($25 surcharge for a second checked bag, privileged few excepted), effective the same date.

Just an additional thought, too -- this policy will result in a lot of passengers carrying their second bag onto the plane when they would have checked it otherwise, resulting in more competition for the limited space in the overhead bins. A few years ago, the airlines were actively encouraging checking of luggage to diminish this problem. Now, United and US Airways are exacerbating it.

It's not surprising that US Airways would adopt United's policy, as they are partners in the global "Star Alliance."

Norm.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Beginner

seems like the best way to handle this is to take your 2nd checkin as a carry-on and they'll simply take your bag for free at the jetway (so long as it looks like it meets "carry-on" size, ie 22in rollerboard)

otherwise, passengers will just bombard the cabin and cause even more delays due to this assinine policy of charging $25 for the 2nd checkin
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Captain

Default delta

Sorry to tell you all but as of May 5th Delta is getting on board. Only 1 checked bag!

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I can't recall which airline it is but one is now going to charge extra for a window or aisle seat...

Old April 19th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Passenger

From Northwest's site:

Coach Class for tickets issued on/after March 29, 2008 for travel on/after May 5, 2008: Each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage.

I'm glad I got my tickets in January!!
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: delta

jhearty1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Sorry to tell you all but as of May 5th Delta is getting on board. Only 1 checked bag!
That announcement came from US Scareways.

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Captain

Default Quote directly from Delta Website!

Norm,

Checked Baggage
Currently, you can check two bags per passenger free of charge. Starting May 5, 2008 this will be reduced to one free bag per passenger traveling in the U. S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Airtran has also joined on the bandwagon of charging for the 2nd bag. Working for the airlines, about 75-80% of travellers only carry 1 bag with them. Really the only ones who bring a 2nd bag are those who are going on vacations.

The real reason for this is not to stick it to the passenger as what many people think, but to "lighten" the load/weight on airplanes. The heavier they are, the more fuel they use, and we all know well what has happened to gas prices. The cost of jet fuel has nearly doubled from what it was a year ago ($65 a barrell in 2007 vs $117 a barrell in 2008) Fares remain very low... due to competition. In order to survive, the airlines have to do something to counter the increase in fuel. Naturally, those pax who add extra weight with checked bags will feel the pain first.
Also.. those pax with overweight bags will also see increase fee's.

All I can say is get used to one bag.... cause I don't see things getting any better.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Quote directly from Delta Website!

jhearty1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm,

Checked Baggage
Currently, you can check two bags per passenger free of charge. Starting May 5, 2008 this will be reduced to one free bag per passenger traveling in the U. S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.
As a Medallion member of (Delta) SkyMiles and thus an "Elite" passenger on all SkyTeam airlines, I'll still be able to check two bags without paying extra. :-) It just means that any other airlines that thought that they might have a chance of getting some occasional business from me won't.

And I will continue to fly enough on SkyTeam airlines to maintain at least "Silver Medallion" status. Heck, I just might turn up at the annual meeting of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and ask a couple embarrassing questions because... well, in addition to getting the attention of senior executives, the flights to and from Miami will count!

Norm.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Beginner

Do you think this is their way of trying to cover the gas prices?
I always felt like cattle before and flying has become increasing un-fun over the years but now it's getting ridiculous.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Captain

I'm worried about how to get all my souvenirs home. Thought I'd take an extra bag with us, but I guess I can't now unless I want to pay for the extra.

10/19/08 Crown Princess
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Default American Airlines - $15 for FIRST bag

Well, starting June 15 AA will charge for the very first bag, unless you're in 1st or pay full fare economy: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...eAllowance.jsp

Ouch. Well, IMHO checking luggage is a bad deal even when it's "free". Waiting in line and occasionally losing a bag have a serious cost ... to my sanity.

It takes some careful packing, but is not that hard on a 7-day cruise.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

according to US AIRWAYS website passengers traveling to Europe can still check two bags minus the $25 second bag fee.

i leave for Barcelona and 15 days for a 12 day cruise. i think i'll still plan on carrying on a small rolling luggage complete with a couple of outfits and toiletry items just in case my big luggage doesn't make it...

but the news makes me happy in case someone in our group has to check more than one
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: American Airlines - $15 for FIRST bag

PBnJ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, starting June 15 AA will charge for the very first bag, unless you're in 1st or pay full fare economy: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...eAllowance.jsp

Ouch. Well, IMHO checking luggage is a bad deal even when it's "free". Waiting in line and occasionally losing a bag have a serious cost ... to my sanity.

It takes some careful packing, but is not that hard on a 7-day cruise.
I'm guessing that American's policy will not last more than a week from the date when it takes effect. The overhead bins in the airplanes simply do not have enough room for every passenger to bring a carry-on bag. After a few days of massive disruptions to American's flight schedules while ground crews put the "excess" carry-on bags in the hold, I expect that the executives will have to back down from this one.

That said, I much prefer to check my bags for two reasons.

>> 1. That way, I don't have to drag all my luggage out to the gate, from concourse to concourse when connecting (which is most of the time), and from the gate to the curb upon arrival.

>> 2. By checking my bags, I also don't have to deal with the "3-1-1" restrictions on fluids and gels in carry-on bags. Unfortunately, some of my travel containers are bigger than the three ounces now permitted under the TSA's rules.

I should also mention that the post-"9/11" requirements for baggage matching have greatly diminished the incidence of misplaced or misdirected luggage.

Norm.
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I can't recall which airline it is but one is now going to charge extra for a window or aisle seat...
I heard that to which is crazy. Paying for the luggage is a little bit more reasonable. I'm flying SPIRIT for my next cruise and you have to pay for each suitcase both ways. YOu don't even get a free one but it's worth it as SPIRIT is very reasonable.
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I find it ridiculous that they make you pay that much for an extra suitcase. The airline is making a small fortune over and above the fuel surcharge with this luggage charge. If you calculate each flight and each person has a second bag, the airline can make anywhere from 14000 to 50000 for each flight.

Personall,y I think it is a way for the airline to make more money and that is it..

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
First Mate

Quote from Norm:
I should also mention that the post-"9/11" requirements for baggage matching have greatly diminished the incidence of misplaced or misdirected luggage.

Enlighten me Norm. Our baggage is all supposed to 'match'?
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I heard that to which is crazy. Paying for the luggage is a little bit more reasonable. I'm flying SPIRIT for my next cruise and you have to pay for each suitcase both ways. YOu don't even get a free one but it's worth it as SPIRIT is very reasonable.
mehawk, that airline is USAirways:

Starting May 7, we'll introduce our new Choice Seats — select aisle and window seats in the first several rows of Coach. You'll have the option to purchase a Choice Seat assignment during Web Check-in (from 24 hours and up to 90 minutes prior to departure). That means aisle and window seats are likely to still be available even for last minute travelers. Dividend Miles Preferred members have the benefit of reserving a Choice Seat assignment free of charge.
The price for Choice Seats varies by destination and length of flight. Choice Seats are available on all US Airways operated flights except the US Airways Shuttle and Colgan operated Saab 340 aircraft.

We thank you for your business, and as always you may find complete information about all US Airways programs at usairways.com., Frequently asked questions.

NJ Kathy, do the luggage on line - it saves $$....costs more if you wait till you get to the airport.
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Admiral

kd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Enlighten me Norm. Our baggage is all supposed to 'match'?

One of the security measures introduced after the "9/11" attack requires that airlines "match" checked bags to passengers who actually board an aircraft and remove bags checked by any passengers who fail to board. This is a significant element in the policy now requiring all passengers to board an aircraft at least ten (10) minutes before scheduled departure.

Anyway, the systems that "match" the bags also flag bags that are not loaded and give the ground crew the same window -- ten minutes -- to locate them and get them onto the plane. Thus, there's a lot less missing luggage now.

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Captain

The way the airlines are going we may all be riding Amtrak soon
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Passenger

I have been reading with interest all of the posts regarding packing "light".
For my next trip I was hoping to get by with just a carry-on (22" roll-on), and no checked luggage. However, I just purchased my 1st SLR camera & with the lens & other accessories it is quite large. The bag I bought actually looks like a soft-sided cooler! If I go with the roll-on as my carry on bag, would the camera case still be considered a "personal" item?
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Georgie Girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have been reading with interest all of the posts regarding packing "light".
For my next trip I was hoping to get by with just a carry-on (22" roll-on), and no checked luggage. However, I just purchased my 1st SLR camera & with the lens & other accessories it is quite large. The bag I bought actually looks like a soft-sided cooler! If I go with the roll-on as my carry on bag, would the camera case still be considered a "personal" item?
What's considered a "personal item" is up to the discression of the TSA agents who screen your luggage and the gate agents who board the flight. The published examples typically include "a purse, a computer case, a brief case, or a small backpack" or something similar -- some of which can be pretty big! They probably would accept a camera bag if it's of similar size to typical examples of the listed items.

Norm.
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Default Charge for soft drink in Flighr

Not confirmed but I heard they will start charging for soft drinks and coffee while in flight.