Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Default New Luggage

I'm in the market for new luggage. I've struggled over that broken zipper and that ripped outside pocket for the last time! No more, "just one more trip!" For me, buying new luggage is much like buying a new car: Those first dings really smart. Plus, hmmm, I could put this money towards something else, like a cruise!

I've gone the cheap route and the expensive route, and I now buy luggage somewhere in the medium price range. I tend to do best with a 26 to a 28 inch size for my largest suitcase as it seems I have the knack for utilizing every square 1/16 inch of a bag, hence making a larger one too heavy to fly w/o $$ penalities.

Any suggestions for something sturdy, but lightweight? I never have had one of those "spinners" but the idea seems good. What's your can't do without piece? Rolling garment? Carry-on? Or, the best tote ever?

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
First Mate

we've been purchasing pieces of the Travelpro Walkabout Lite line. We now have 2-29", 2-26", 1-20", the rolling garment bag and just added the two rolling totes. We have rolling totes that were fine but these weigh about half as much. All of these pieces are lightweight (at least 25% lighter) but sturdy--this company is the maker of the luggage that many pilots and flight attendants use. We've used it on several flights and cruises and hauled them around Ireland for 10 days and it is very durable. My husband chose this product in part because the important parts, like wheels, etc., can be replaced if they get damaged, instead of having to toss the entire bag.
I've found great deals on it at www.luggagefactory.com or ebags.com

Happy shopping!
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Admiral

I am shopping also. I'll peek in for ideas.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Im leaning toward cheap and donate it to good will at the first sign of serious stress. I got a 5 piece set at the last minute before the last cruise from Wallymart for like $50. I took along the big piece and left the small ones home and guess what its survived the trip with minor damage.

My expensive hard Samsonites have been pretty well destroyed on the last couple trips. My big piggy back cost close to $300 back when it was purchased. And now that you cant lock them when flying they have become dinasours.

They throw them around so bad anymore without ever bending at the waste I see no point in premium baggage. I say just look for good zippers and stitching and then let your wallet be your guide.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Admiral

I actually don't remember buying my current set of luggage. My second wife says I had it when we got married in 2000 but I don't remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I highly recommend picking up some "Travel Pro". Now, with some major airlines charging for the 2nd bag, there is a garment section right in the bag, so I no longer use that. Its very durable and at the same time, light weight. They say the airline people use them, and I did look and they do....Worth looking into.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Sometimes cheap is cheap. On a trip to Turkey the very first time I used some new luggage, the pull handle came right out at the airport in Istanbul. I go for medium priced and have been very content with the way it's held up. On my last cruise, I got off the ship in San Juan, and went to Marshall's to pick up another piece of luggage because I bought too much in St Thomas. I got a really nice piece with a built in garment hanging area, 24", for $64. i was thrilled. And the wheels go in all directions, and there are 4 of them.... oh happiness.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Passenger

i highly recommend anything from the brand Eagle Creek. We've bought luggage at Container Store from that brand and it's fabulous! The wheels roll really well and the bags are super spacious and sturdy - handy for a ten day cruise! They sell the brand on eBags.com if you want to check it out...

http://www.ebags.com/search/index.cf...=eagle%20creek
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll remember this info when we're in the market for new luggage, which may be real soon.

We bought some cheap stuff the last time around because we were sick of seeing our luggage get banged, nicked or ripped. We're sorry we bought the junk that we did. They have two wheels and two "legs", which are no help in keeping the luggage upright! If we unzip the expandable zipper to get some additional packing room, it sets the case off balance. and they topple right over!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Go Hard side

I'm a hard side suitcase guy. I got fed up with the broken zippers and ripped fabric and pockets of the soft side kind. I was replacing it almost anually! I'm real happy with my spiffy new Samsonite Oystershell 29". For $80 you can't beat it. Got mine at www.baggageforless.com.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Passenger

We buy duffel bags with wheels at resonable price. I was constantly struggling with the airlines 50lb limit on bags. We weighted our 'lightweight' luggage and it was over 15 lbs EMPTY: our duffel bag weight 8 lbs. Luggage gets trashed no matter what price you pay. So we buy cheaper and then just donate when they get a little rough. We travel with 2 -3 duffel bags (depending on lenght of cruise) and one garmet bag with 'good' stuff. We did a 1 week Mexico cruise in January and we took only 1 duffel each - didn't know at that time we were practicing for the new 1 bag airline rules. We still had clothes that we didn't wear but I admit having a self serve laundry on Princess also helped.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Go Hard side

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdude
I'm a hard side suitcase guy. I got fed up with the broken zippers and ripped fabric and pockets of the soft side kind. I was replacing it almost anually! I'm real happy with my spiffy new Samsonite Oystershell 29". For $80 you can't beat it. Got mine at www.baggageforless.com.
For those who want to go to this website, you have to remove the period after "com"

www.baggageforless.com

Thanks dvrdude - another shopping website!!!!
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Beginner

Default Luggage

I had to purchase a new luggage recently for our upcoming cruise (april 24th HAL)....I have looked online but really wanted to get a "hands on" feel for it so I stopped by Ross and found a spinner Samsonite 30 inch for $63 plus tax! Of course I had to settle for red instead of pink but the price was just right. I hope this helps!
Laure
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I had no luggage until December 2006, which I needed to buy some for a January 07 cruise. I was fortunate to come across a store that sold luggage, purses, and bags of all sorts that had a darn good sale on. I picked up two pieces (19" and a 24") for $80 Canadian. Later that summer, I bought another 24" because I found that I can fill the two originals FAST, too fast.....

If you can go with one BIG one and a small 19" rolling carry on size, go that way because it will be so much easier to drag through airports and such. I wish I would have bought one of the 29" instead of a 24". They are holding out well so far. They've gotten through three cruises unscathed.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Default Luggage

I have the "spinner" (four wheels) luggage. It is so easy to push that I'll never buy anything but the spinner type from now on. No matter how full I pack it, I can push it with one finger. Sometimes on carpet it's a little more difficult but still easy to handle. Instead of pulling it all over the place, you can just stroll along with it beside you, or in front of you, or if you really want to pull it, you can.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

If you have a TJ Maxx store always check in there. They do have some good mid to high end ranges of luggage at VERY reasonable prices. TJ's is my favorite store and my kids HATE when I want to stop in to look around.

Don't forget to look out there too on retailmenot.com for discount codes for online purchasing. I have used several codes and have saved just on my cruise trip.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Costco has a 3 piece Samsonite Spinner set that will be on sale for $149 ($100 off) on Thursday. The sizes are 29", 27", and a tote. I know that Samsonite spent alot of money on advertisements, but is it quality luggage? What are your thoughts on traveling with luggage as large as 29 and 27 inches?
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I also choose the hard side luggage.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I love hard shell luggage but Delsey makes a kick arse luggage set, Fusion,

This is the set my Nana bought my sister for her trip I am taking her on for her high school graduation, a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. I've used this particular luggage before and it is sturdy, rolls easily, has tons of room. You can find it online or at Belk for a really good price.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Captain

We've been very happy with our pieces from Atlantic, made from Ballistic Nylon . . . but when we weighed the empty 29" pullman this weekend we discovered that it weighs 17lbs all by itself. Now we're discussing getting some new stuff, or going with wheeled duffle bags & maybe just one new carry-on piece- with a suiter.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Familiar Face

Maybe I am measuring wrong, but I am getting 30" on my piece I just got. Are there 29" or 30"? I really need to know because of airline restrictions. I don't want to pay $150 in penalties for a piece that measures 62 1'2 " or 63".
Booe's mom
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

This is the time to buy new luggage. You need to find the purses/bags/luggage types stores in your local malls and scope out what sales are out there. Heys and Swiss Gear are excellent luggage, but they are very expensive. I bought my Air Canada luggage (2 large 24" and a rolling 19" carry on) for $100 in Dec 2006. My Mom bought a 24" and a 19" for the same price and they are slightly better than what I have.

You will want to get luggage that stands out and is easily identified, thus, avoid beige, and black. I have peacock blue, and was tempted to get fuschia.

I don't roll my clothes in my suitcase, I lay the clothes and layer everything. I find I can get more in if I layer. Also, my cat likes to sleep in my luggage when it is out and he does a wonderful job of compressing the clothes so I can get just a little bit more in there.....He may only be 9lbs, but 9lbs at around 1-4 hours at a time does wonders after a week....Too bad I can't pack him and take him with me on my cruise.....alas, that where I have to put my own weight behind it......

57 days....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default WORST PIECE OF LUGGAGE

We finally bought all new Samsonite twirler luggage .. two 29" a carry on and a garment bag.. Lets just say I hate garment bags so matter what... Samsonite has been great because if there is a problem they repair the luggage for free or replace it..(I buy at the outlet stores). The new Samsonite comes with little garment bags, toiletry, shoe bags, etc.. The secret is NOT to buy expensive luggage.. because it seems to draw thieves to it and I've heard too many stories about items being stolen.. We use wide nylon straps to keep our luggage together and if TSA wants to open it.. they wll have no problen as we use their locks..
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Default Luggage

I buy Eagle creek. It is expensive but guarenteed for ever. Go to Zappos.com They have it for a discount which is hard to find on sale and no taxes or shipping. They are fantastic. I buy shoes an a lot of things. Very easy to return if you don't want it they pay for the return. Customer service is number one. Try them!!!
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Beginner

Default Costco

We just picked up a couple of Samsonite wheeled duffels at Costco for forty bucks a piece. they're very large with plenty of pockets/nets/etc. Great value !