Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default Ship itinerary for formal night etc.

I have looked at RCCL website for info on my cruise.
Is there a place to find the schedule for more formal nights in the dining room?
I would like to schedule my Chops dinner that night as I am not much for formal.
It would be nice to see the ship event schedule before I go..............am I missing it or do they announce after you board?
Thank you.
P
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ship itinerary for formal night etc.

Grandma P,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have looked at RCCL website for info on my cruise.
Is there a place to find the schedule for more formal nights in the dining room?
I would like to schedule my Chops dinner that night as I am not much for formal.
It would be nice to see the ship event schedule before I go..............am I missing it or do they announce after you board?
Thank you.
P
On most cruises, you'll get the official schedule of evening attire when you arrive aboard. Nonetheless, the pattern is pretty standard.

>> On cruises with two or more formal evenings, the second evening and the next to last usually are "formal." On cruises with more than two "formal" evenings (generally cruises longer than seven nights), the additional "formal" evenings usually fall on days when the ship is either at sea or leaves port early such that they are spaced more or less evenly throughout the cruise.

>> On cruise lines that still have "semiformal" or "informal" evenings, they usually fall on days when the ship is at sea or when the ship leaves port no later than 6:00 PM. On such lines, you can expect that the number of "semiformal" or "informal" evenings and the number of "formal" evenings will add up to about half of the duration (in nights) of the cruise.

>> The first evening, the last evening, evenings when the ship remains in port late, and evenings of deck parties are reliably "casual."

That said, Chops might not be the escape that you wish. On most cruise lines, specialty restaurants require the same evening attire as the main dining rooms.

Norm.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Grandma P - Norm is correct, the dress code for the evening applies to all the restaurants with the exception of the Windjammer buffet, and the bistros along main street, actually folks seem to get a bit more dressed up when they go to the specialty restaurants.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Nights

From my cruising experience the formal nights are usually on the night when the ship has been "at sea" and not in a port.
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Default also worth noting

It is also worth noting that you may get some information on this in your cruise documents, but don't count on it. Just go through your cruise documents carefully when you get them for information about shore excursions and packing recommendations(they will always include at least the dress code).
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In almost all my cruises, the second night out is usually the first formal. Also, Keep in mind that even on a non-formal evening, you have to dress for Chops if I recall. Why not just pack for a formal night and enjoy all the festivities, dinner in the dining room is worth going to on a fomal evening, you don't want to miss that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

P,
I agree....go to the formal night. You don't have to wear a ballgown, just a nice dress or even pants suit with some nice accesories. Even just a great brooch and/or earrings. Just something to dress things up a bit.
Marty