Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Default No More "Formal" Night? Carnival?

Since the update on the website in the past few days, I've reread the FAQs and was surprised to see the the word Formal has been removed from what are now called Cruise Casual and Cruise Elegant Dining nights. The Mens dress code now only lists dress slacks and a dress shirt.

I'm not dreaming am I? This did just change? With the addition of the fees most of the airlines just imposed on the 2nd checked bag, it couldn't have come at a better time.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
kookylabooka

As a new Carnival cruiser I agree with the new dress code. Those who want a more "uppidty" experience can choose a another line. Carnival is more for the casual,laid back type.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No More "Formal" Night? Carnival?

vamartha59,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Since the update on the website in the past few days, I've reread the FAQs and was surprised to see the the word Formal has been removed from what are now called Cruise Casual and Cruise Elegant Dining nights. The Mens dress code now only lists dress slacks and a dress shirt.

I'm not dreaming am I? This did just change? With the addition of the fees most of the airlines just imposed on the 2nd checked bag, it couldn't have come at a better time.
I have heard rumors of such a change in the last couple months, and I really welcome it. The term "formal" has a specific meaning ("black tie") in social etiquette, and misuse of that term only leads to confusion.

And when posters on the Celebrity Cruises board are looking for a cruise that does not have "formal" evenings, I'll be sure to mention Carnival as an option from now on!

Norm.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Noooo... I enjoy dressing up.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Default Newbie here

Appealing to the masses is what will define the bottom line so I guess I can't knock Carnival for relaxing the dress code. This is simply good business. The reality, though, is that many look forward to, and quite enjoy, the opportunity to don finer attire while on a cruise. I happen to be one of those and will continue to sport my formal attire no matter what may be suggested.
I certainly hope, though, dress doesn't become so relaxed that smart-casual equates to cutoffs and flip flops.

Repsol

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Passenger

Personally, I like to get dressed up for formal/elegant nights. On the other hand, traveling with my family and having to purchase suits for each cruise (3rd for the boys) who seem to never stop growing and complaining about being uncomfortable, I kind of welcome the change in the dress code. But, I still like seeing all the people dressed up in their finest!
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM
Familiar Face

They might as well make the whole thing casual! Starting June 15th, American Airlines will charge for ALL checked bags!

http://tinyurl.com/4skz4e

Wow! It's almost if you don't live in a port city, with the price of gasoline, airfare and baggage - cruising is getting to be less and less affordable!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Beginner

Default Rules catching up to reality?

Well, IMHO it's been this way for a while on Carnival. I've been on a few 7-night and 3-night cruises and I've always seen guys with no jackets ... and sometimes even tee shirts.

And for those who want to wear tuxedos ... well, why not? =)
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Newbie here

Repsol,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Appealing to the masses is what will define the bottom line so I guess I can't knock Carnival for relaxing the dress code. This is simply good business. The reality, though, is that many look forward to, and quite enjoy, the opportunity to don finer attire while on a cruise. I happen to be one of those and will continue to sport my formal attire no matter what may be suggested.
I certainly hope, though, dress doesn't become so relaxed that smart-casual equates to cutoffs and flip flops.
If you enjoy donning a tux for a true "formal" evening, simply book on a different line that still has true "formal" evenings! There are plenty of choices, including Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Princess.

BTW, Celebrity still has both "Formal" and "Informal" evenings. Gents now wear sport coats, but not neckties, on the latter.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Admiral

L2cruiz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Personally, I like to get dressed up for formal/elegant nights. On the other hand, traveling with my family and having to purchase suits for each cruise (3rd for the boys) who seem to never stop growing and complaining about being uncomfortable, I kind of welcome the change in the dress code. But, I still like seeing all the people dressed up in their finest!
If your sons don't have other occasions on which to wear their suits, it probably would be more economical to rent tuxes for them than to buy suits that they will outgrow before they can wear them again.

Norm.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the tip Norm. Wifey and I will, of course, consider other lines when seeking out future voyages, but we're not going to let a relaxed dress code deter us from Carnival. We've had great times on Carnival and don't suspect that will ever change.
To our advantage, fewer cruisers dressing to the nines will allow us to stand out even more. I wasn't in the spot light much growing up so I pounce on every opportunity I get.

Rep

Carnival Destiny 7-27-08
Carnival Glory 6-18-05
Carnival Fascination 6-7-97
Carnival Mardi Gras Summer '83
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

6 night Liberty cruise had one very formal evening and the second formal night was titled "elegant"

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
Passenger

The Air Lines don't care about the cruise ships NCL stop formal night the rest will change soon people will get tire real fast paying around $40.00 or more for their luggage. These people who need to wear a Tux then wear it I don't need it on a cruise ship I'm on VACATION I wear my Tux enough here in LA Calf. Aug.10 I'm on the Norwegian Gem leaving from Barcelona if you wear a Tux I'll take your picture if I see you wearing it and I will e-mail it to you. Let me know you are a cruise mates member and saw it here online. [/youtube][/url][/list][/list][/code][/quote][/u][/i][/b]