CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Space Bags (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/351559-space-bags.html)

thecruisequeen May 25th, 2008 11:06 PM

Space Bags

Has anyone used Space Bags before???? :-? :-?

Almost looks to good to be true! Is the clothing super wrinkled when you unpack the space bag.

Kelly Ripa is always raving about Space Bags on her morning talk show.

Was wondering if anyone has actually used them?? :-?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...b14f60_300.jpg

cutiecat May 25th, 2008 11:24 PM

i love those. i have used them on my last three cruises and they save me a junk ton of room. i currently have the kind that you have to roll out the air, but i am going to buy the kind that you vacuum out the air for my next one (IN 16 DAYS YAY!!!!!) because sometimes i can't get all the air out.

i swear by them. i've never had much of a problem with my clothes being wrinkled...even my dresses travel well in them. they are as good as the commercial says the are :) surprising, i know...

you can buy them at Wal*Mart

:)

thecruisequeen May 25th, 2008 11:33 PM

Why thank you CC! :D

Are there different types? Does it come with a mini vac to get all the air out??

cutiecat May 25th, 2008 11:42 PM

there are different types...but the pack usually comes with two large two medium or something similar.

you use the hose on your home vac to suck the air out. i'm sure the ship has a vac you can borrow from the steward if needed...i've heard of others doing this.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2626229 these are the ones that you can roll the air out of. i usually roll on top of the bag ::insert visual image and lots of laughing here:: wal*mart sells the kind you vacuum too.

thecruisequeen May 25th, 2008 11:53 PM

So if I got the ones you vacuum I would ask the cabin attendent if I can use the Vacuum??

Although rolling on the bag to get the air out sounds like fun! rofl rofl

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/24...a99f01.jpg?v=0

I'll head out to walmart or target this week to check the bags out. :D
So your formal wear did not get super wrinkled or do you use space bags only for casual stuff.

cutiecat May 26th, 2008 12:02 AM

everything goes in my space bags. i had no problem with my formal dresses...but they are material that can be easily folded and once brought out the wrinkles come right out. if in doubt, you could always take a small bottle of wrinkle releaser with you (buy the wrinkle releaser and then a small spray bottle so you don't have to pack the big one).

nice pic :) and i would ask the room steward for the vacuum LOL

https://www.spacebag.com/spacebag/902303/ that is the spacebag website

thecruisequeen May 26th, 2008 12:06 AM

OK Got It!!

I will buy them!!!!

Thanks CC!!!! :D

cutiecat May 26th, 2008 12:12 AM

and yet another one convinced LOL

you're welcome

thecruisequeen May 26th, 2008 09:22 AM

Hey CC I bet DTW can pack alot of Speedos in a space bag! He would have enough Speedos to cruise for a few months!! rofl rofl rofl

ket920 May 28th, 2008 05:04 PM

thanks for the info! we were looking into buying space bags for our first cruise in 1 month and 12 days-to alaska!

i saw some in the xtreme geek catalog. they are 2 for $12.95.

cutiecat May 29th, 2008 01:58 PM

CQ, I'm so posting that on the speedo board!!!!!

Russell in MD May 29th, 2008 05:01 PM

Ive used them and dont care for them. One or two ripped rendering them useless after like the second use. 2 gallon ziplock bags do a better job if you must go the plastic bag route and cost a fraction of the cost of space saver bags.

I'm completely sold on pack-it folders for travel. Campmor, who sells camping stuff, has them on closeout every once in a while. They're worth the investment.

My $0.02

Divemaster May 30th, 2008 10:48 AM

Also get a few cheap disposable pocket ponchos and take a few quart ziplocks (for camera, cellphone etc.) for possible drizzle days. Invest in a set of binocs for critter watching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ket920
thanks for the info! we were looking into buying space bags for our first cruise in 1 month and 12 days-to alaska!

i saw some in the xtreme geek catalog. they are 2 for $12.95.

ket920 May 30th, 2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster
Also get a few cheap disposable pocket ponchos and take a few quart ziplocks (for camera, cellphone etc.) for possible drizzle days. Invest in a set of binocs for critter watching.

thank you! i wouldn't have thought of ponchos or the ziplock bags.

Repsol Rod May 30th, 2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Hey CC I bet DTW can pack alot of Speedos in a space bag! He would have enough Speedos to cruise for a few months!! rofl rofl rofl

Ladies, I may give DTW a run for his money. :-P

Another one sold on space bags. I reckon these would also come in handy if a bottle of Coppertone were to explode enroute.

Rep

thecruisequeen May 30th, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repsol Rod
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen

Ladies, I may give DTW a run for his money. :-P

Another one sold on space bags. I reckon these would also come in handy if a bottle of Coppertone were to explode enroute.

Rep

Yep you never know what can explode in the suitcase! LOL
DTW has some competition!!! LOL

AF1 June 3rd, 2008 05:30 PM

I used space bags for my cruise thru the med last year. They worked fine. I had a large and two mediums. Saved on my packing; and saved space for my camera equipment. You can put almost anything in them.

thecruisequeen June 3rd, 2008 08:57 PM

THanks all looks like everyone loves space bags! :D :D

Joe323 June 16th, 2008 12:20 PM

Never used them but my DF says they work.

Andrea007 July 13th, 2008 09:32 PM

I bought a foodsaver recently and wanted to mess around with it. I ended up "foodsaving" all my toiletries, so if that bottle of coppertone did explode it would be contained in its own bag. There have been times when my toiletries leak and while the ziploc bag did contain most of it, some still leaked out.

Hub August 13th, 2008 10:03 PM

CQ have you used your space bags yet?

thecruisequeen August 13th, 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hub

Hub I never did end up getting them. I was worried about space but I did fine without the space bags.

:D :D

thecruisequeen August 13th, 2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hub

Hub I never did end up getting them. I was worried about space but I did fine without the space bags.

:D :D

sandyj55 August 23rd, 2008 06:02 PM

I just got back from a trip and I used the space bags from Walmart that you just squeeze the air out. They worked wonderful!! I packed today for my cruise this week and I was able to get everything I wanted to take in my bag and didn't go over the weight limit. That is the only problem with the bags........you can go over weight limations!!! I got 2 large and 2 meduims at Walmart for $12.95....

They are great to put your dirty clothes in on the way home to keep the clean away from the stinky stuff!!!

cutiecat August 23rd, 2008 06:14 PM

yep, i use them to seperate my dirty clothes from clean ones when i come home. i love them :)

Maruccio September 8th, 2008 04:30 PM

Although, as I've said before, the vacuum thing is NOT intended for travelling, unless you have a very small suitcase, the bags will essentially enable you to easily surpass the weight limit for one suitcase on the airline (if you are flying).

If you aren't flying, and don't mind the potential stress of not having a vacuum available at the moment that you are packing, by all means, go for it!

mikeandcindyz September 13th, 2008 09:24 PM

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm logging onto the WalMart site and ordering my space bags. We leave in 13 days so I should have plenty of time to get them. Thanks for the wonderful advise! Cindy Z

mikeandcindyz September 18th, 2008 02:21 PM

The space bags have arrived! Whoo Hoo! It's amazing how much space they save in my suitcase! I also bought a Tobi Quick clothes steamer at Target to remove the wrinkles from the post-space bag clothing. Now I have more room to bring home "more stuff"! Stuff I don't need, but just have to have because I'm in Hawaii! LOL We don't leave until next Friday but we are already about 75% packed. Can you tell that we are ready for this vacation??? :wink:

Cindy Z

cutiecat September 24th, 2008 10:21 AM

just be careful...sometimes they can cause you to overpack and exceed the weight limit!

but woohoo, i love space bags!

spencercoop November 30th, 2008 08:47 PM

They make special travel ones that you roll. Then that gets all the air out just like using a vacuum.