Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Default packing for 14 night, S. American, Freestyle cruise??

This is my first 14-day cruise, and I'm budgeting for laundry one time during the cruise -- we are a family of 5, so I can't see taking the luggage for 14 nights for all 5 of us.

But, I'm having trouble figuring out --
--how do I pack efficiently for the weather changes? Seems it would be most space-saving to rely on jackets rather than long sleeve combos??

--and, how do I pack for Freestyle cruising??? How many (optional, I know) formal nights can I expect on a Freestyle, and if we do choose to dress up, will we be in the minority??

--also -- "no tank-tops" -- does this equal "no sleeveless shirts" at all? I get the no "hanging out at the beach" tank-tops, but just wondering if that extends to nice, clearly dressy tops/dresses that happen to be sleeveless???

We've cruised once before, on Carnival, a 5 day. This is a whole new ball game, though....thanks for any tips!
mom to 3 great boys, ages 12, 9 & 4
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Admiral

I've done 14 day cruises and NCL, but not the two together. The tank top rule seems to apply to the beachy ones. I certainly have worn nice ones to dinners. I have some that are silk and I throw a thin dressy "jacket" over them and I'm good to go. NCL seems to have the same percent of dressier nights...2 per week. And, we saw a huge variety of dress styles. Don't worry about fitting in.
Marty
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I've done 14 day cruises and NCL, but not the two together. The tank top rule seems to apply to the beachy ones. I certainly have worn nice ones to dinners. I have some that are silk and I throw a thin dressy "jacket" over them and I'm good to go. NCL seems to have the same percent of dressier nights...2 per week. And, we saw a huge variety of dress styles. Don't worry about fitting in.
Marty
Thanks, Marty. Since I don't get to dress up in "real life" I'm looking forward to dressing up a bit on the cruise.

As for the guys -- they'll be wearing jeans during the day on the colder parts of the trip; can they wear them into the main dining rooms at night on casual nights?

NCL's website says "jeans okay in most restaurants" but I can't pin down which allow it and which don't.

I tell ya -- packing for: 14 nights, 2 or 3 climate changes, and "freestyle-we refuse to spell out our dress code", then doing it for 5 people (3 who are kids) -- well, I'm glad I'm starting the planning NOW when I have 6 months left, !
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: packing for 14 night, S. American, Freestyle cruise??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHeather
This is my first 14-day cruise, and I'm budgeting for laundry one time during the cruise -- we are a family of 5, so I can't see taking the luggage for 14 nights for all 5 of us.

--how do I pack efficiently for the weather changes? Seems it would be most space-saving to rely on jackets rather than long sleeve combos??

--and, how do I pack for Freestyle cruising??? How many (optional, I know) formal nights can I expect on a Freestyle, and if we do choose to dress up, will we be in the minority??

--also -- "no tank-tops" -- does this equal "no sleeveless shirts" at all? I get the no "hanging out at the beach" tank-tops, but just wondering if that extends to nice, clearly dressy tops/dresses that happen to be sleeveless???

We've cruised once before, on Carnival, a 5 day. This is a whole new ball game, though....thanks for any tips!
A light jacket and layering is your best bet for the changes in weather. You will be going from quite warm "80's F" to the mid 50's F. Pack a couple of sweaters and long pants and disposable ponchos for shore excursions. We just did a 12 day Baltic cruise and packed less than we have ever packed before. I love Freestyle and not needing formal wear or even a need for a sport jacket. I never felt out of place.

With Freestyle you are not required to have "any" formal nights. You can wear jeans in any restaurant except the main dining room. This includes Le Bistro.

There is onboard, self service laundries onboard, the washer and driers are free but the soap is $1 per box. This really helps with t-shirts, and under garments and cuts down on packing. There will also be a couple of "fill the bag" laundry specials during your cruise.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Admiral

mix and match separates, and light layers are the way to pack. jeans are ok but they take up the space of 2 pairs of dockers type chino pants in your luggage, something to think about.
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
mix and match separates, and light layers are the way to pack. jeans are ok but they take up the space of 2 pairs of dockers type chino pants in your luggage, something to think about.
this is true, but for the cold weather stuff, jeans will be much warmer.

and I'm embarrassed to admit -- my boys don't even OWN long pants that are not denim. They are far too rough & tumble to have dockers type pants as their normal everyday clothing.

I guess we perpetuate the Texas stereotype.....oh well; what's true is true, right?
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: packing for 14 night, S. American, Freestyle cruise??

TexasHeather,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

See the first post in the "Packing Made Simple" Thread for packing lists and tips with regard to several of your questions. If you plan to do laundry once, you can cut all the quantities in the packing lists in half. Also, you can delete the items for the "informal" evenings.

I'm not really familiar with all of the nuances of "Freestyle Cruising" on Norwegian Cruise Line, but I do know that the line advertises "Formal Optional" evenings rather than true "Formal" evenings. I would take that representation at its face value, with the caveat that some of the ship's restaurants and other venues apparently do require true "Formal" attire on those nights while others do not. The safest course probably would be to bring enough formalwear for a couple evenings to preserve the option of going to such venues if you wish.

Norm.
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Only the main dining room (one of them) requires "formal wear". And, I put that in quotes because NCL's definition of formal is nowhere near the higher end lines. "Dressed nice" might be a better choice of words, but I suppose that would really be too vague.
Marty
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Only the main dining room (one of them) requires "formal wear". And, I put that in quotes because NCL's definition of formal is nowhere near the higher end lines. "Dressed nice" might be a better choice of words, but I suppose that would really be too vague.
On the other side of the coin, misuse of the term "Formal" -- which has a specific meaning in social etiquette -- also breeds considerable confusion. In fact, even the attire that Celebrity and Princess describe as "Formal" really should be called "Modified Formal" since it provides options other than true "black tie."

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Passenger

thanks for all the help, everyone.

Norm, that list is a great starting point - thanks for that! I'll do some tweaking, but it's a good jumping off point.

Sounds like for the most part I can relax on the dress clothes; that's very good news and should cut down our luggage significantly. I think we are going to enjoy Freestyle very much!

now, off to update my siggy, since that has the kids' ages from '06....yikes!
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

TexasHeather,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Norm, that list is a great starting point - thanks for that! I'll do some tweaking, but it's a good jumping off point.
You're welcome!

A "good jumping off point" is exactly what I intended the packing lists to be. It's impossible to create a packing list that's right for every passenger going to every destination on every cruise line since individual tastes, preferences, and interests, the climate and activities offfered by each destination, and the style of each cruise line obviously will influence what we want or need to take with us. That's precisely why I included suggestions for modification, depending upon these considerations, with the lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Sounds like for the most part I can relax on the dress clothes; that's very good news and should cut down our luggage significantly. I think we are going to enjoy Freestyle very much!
Yes, my understanding is that you can. Again, though, I would recommend bringing at least one set of dress clothes for each person so that you'll have the option of going to the dressy restaurants and events if you wish to do so. Indeed, there's no reason not to wear a dress two nights, perhaps with different accessories, on a cruise, and a second dress shirt, tie and cummerbund for a guy don't take much space, either.

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
TexasHeather,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

You're welcome!

A "good jumping off point" is exactly what I intended the packing lists to be. It's impossible to create a packing list that's right for every passenger going to every destination on every cruise line since individual tastes, preferences, and interests, the climate and activities offfered by each destination, and the style of each cruise line obviously will influence what we want or need to take with us. That's precisely why I included suggestions for modification, depending upon these considerations, with the lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, my understanding is that you can. Again, though, I would recommend bringing at least one set of dress clothes for each person so that you'll have the option of going to the dressy restaurants and events if you wish to do so. Indeed, there's no reason not to wear a dress two nights, perhaps with different accessories, on a cruise, and a second dress shirt, tie and cummerbund for a guy don't take much space, either.

Norm.
thanks, Norm.
Yes, I do plan on dressy clothes for each of us for at least 2 nights. Not quite "formal wear" in the truest sense of the word (ie, suit & tie, not tux, and no ties for the kids) but I think that will still be appropriate given NCL's "formal optional" and other wording in their dress code.

I do appreciate the tips you included in your list on how to adapt for various scenarios -- I found it very helpful indeed. Thanks for writing it all out, and for bumping it often for us "newbies".
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Admiral

TexasHeather,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, I do plan on dressy clothes for each of us for at least 2 nights. Not quite "formal wear" in the truest sense of the word (ie, suit & tie, not tux, and no ties for the kids) but I think that will still be appropriate given NCL's "formal optional" and other wording in their dress code.
A (dark) suit is fine for gents, since that's one of the options that the cruise lines have long prescribed within their standard of "modified formal" attire. One suggestion, though -- do bring neckties for your sons. The evening dress for children is exactly the same as for adults since the cruise line does not prescribe otherwise.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
TexasHeather,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A (dark) suit is fine for gents, since that's one of the options that the cruise lines have long prescribed within their standard of "modified formal" attire. One suggestion, though -- do bring neckties for your sons. The evening dress for children is exactly the same as for adults since the cruise line does not prescribe otherwise.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Well, I don't think I can find neckties here (we are living in Brazil) for the kids; neckties in general are not often worn here. But if I can find ties for the boys, I'll certainly bring them. (although I've found folks to be quite forgiving of "under dressed" kids, so it shouldn't be a problem if I don't find neckties for them.)

Thanks again!