Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Beginner

Default Should I bring the laptop?

This is my first cruise and I'm debating where I should be bringing my laptop. I would use it to charge my cameras and unload photos. I don't have another way of doing this without my laptop. I could buy extra memory cards and chargers; however, it maybe a challenge for me to get them before I leave and this devices are kinda expensive. If it helps I'm going on a 13 day cruise to Alaska in less then two weeks!! and plan on taking TONS of pictures. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Should I bring the laptop?

I've brought mine along the last 6 years. Just don't expect to Internet with it - expensve and slow connections aboard.

In addition to photos, I use the critter for mapping (MS Streets and Trips), any online transporation rerouting, the occasional free wireless airport linkup to email, and to enter the kin in my genealogy databases. Have yet to fail to find another relative on a cruise - in a book, a magazine, a newspaper, or etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoimkd
This is my first cruise and I'm debating where I should be bringing my laptop. I would use it to charge my cameras and unload photos. I don't have another way of doing this without my laptop. I could buy extra memory cards and chargers; however, it maybe a challenge for me to get them before I leave and this devices are kinda expensive. If it helps I'm going on a 13 day cruise to Alaska in less then two weeks!! and plan on taking TONS of pictures. Any advice?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

I agree with Divemaster. I took mine, and it proved to be a good way to organize my photos into folders based off which port I took them at. I couldn't get the wireless to work, so I jut used the internet in the library.

Old June 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I have taken mine on every cruise since 2000. I have used it to offload photos, write up travelogues, send email and use the Internet.

My situations have been a bit different than an average cruiser and the Internet access isn't "really" needed but is nice. It does come with a cost. About $.35 minute for Internet or email access. You can usually get a 250 minute package for around $100.

There is an alternative to taking your laptop and still have the benefits.

If you only use a laptop for photos and some email I would suggest purchasing three or four 1 gigabyte memory cards and use those. If you shoot at around 4 megapixels, they will take hundreds of pictures and you can organize them when you get home. Just use a different card for different ports. It's easier than carrying a laptop. You can use the Internet Cafe to check email.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If that is how you charge things then I say bring it by all means. It is nice to know you have the luxury of being able to download your pictures and re-use your memory cards. And you can use your cell-phone in Alaska because it is the U.S.

By the way, if your cellphone downloads email be sure to turn digital roaming OFF while on the ship or you may get a huge bill when you get home.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
First Mate

Also if you have an ipod with a large harddrive, buy an Apple ipod camera connector ($29) and transfer photos and video to the device. Depending on the model it can hold unlimited memory.

Look into buying a portable multi-outlet.

Old September 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Passenger

My motto: "If in doubt, PACK IT!"
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Default laptop

The downside here..........customs could potentially confiscate it for up to two weeks(it's possible). Generally memory cards are inexpensive now(most take SD Card which cost $25 or less for a 1GB now) and if your camera takes AA batteries, just buy a set of rechargables. You should definitely take your laptop if there isn't a stop off at a canadian port, but most alaskan cruises now include stops in canada. I will let you be the judge given this information I am presenting.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Beginner

Default Laptop?

My partner and I just got back from a 7-day cruise through Alaska's inner passage. If you have the space, I would recommend packing the laptop. We packed ours are were glad that we did. Alaska was so gorgeous, we couldn't help but try to capture it's beauty. In all we took over 1400 pics between the two of us and used about 8 GB of memory. Had it not been for the laptop, we would have had to eliminate a lot of photos.
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I really would like to take my laptop with me, but with everything else I have to pack as carry on, I doubt I could do it. I typically have my beach bag FULL and then have my carry on bag full with a spare change of clothes.

I am a wee paranoid about failure of electronic devices. I always have extra batteries with me (I bring 6-8 disposable plus 4 rechargable, and my spare Lithium for my Olympus). I also have a HD hard drive video camera and I need two extra batteries for that as the HD videocameras go through battery power faster than my MiniDV. I have to bring my MiniDV videocamera because with the two spare Lithium battery TSA rule for personal digital devices I need to bring it for the attached battery!!!!! I have charges for my Olympus camera, Energizer AA's, and Energizer videocamera batteries. If I bring my Zen microphoto or Zen Stone (with speakers!) I have another charger for that....

I also am paranoid about failure of memory cards. I have a 1GB/2GB card for my Olympus, and a total of 10 GB for my Canon camera (2-1GB, 2-2GB, and a new professional 4GB card.

Does anyone not worry about the safety of the laptop when not in use, meaning it gets stolen? I would!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
First Mate

I suppose it would depend how much time is spent on your laptop, how much personal info you have on it, and what other connections you have to the world.

I have brought one, and I have not. I have an expensive camera and all the cards needed. I have an Ipod, which is wonderful on long flights, delays, and (not again!) standby.

My turning point would be Internet service via cell phone. If I know that at my ports free wifi is not available, but my cell service is, I'll leave the laptop at home. Catching up with important news back home is important to me.

Memory cards are cheap, if all you want to do is preserve pictures, there are many, many ways to do it. Buy more memory, use the ship photo services, or even find cheaper port services.

I guess it depends on how much you depend on your laptop. It's great for travel if you prefer watching DVD's, checking flights and weather, or checking email. Not so good if your entire life is imprinted on it and can't afford to 'lose' it.

It's a personal preference, as well as the ability to lug it around. My next trip has plenty of free internet service, which is cheaper than my current phone plan. Is it worth lugging in carry on? I'll let you know in September...

Sweet sailing!!!!

Old November 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio
My motto: "If in doubt, PACK IT!"
Only problem with that motto is with the airlines charging by the bag and/or charging for overweight bags, it could cost serious money.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004