Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I know you are teasing, but purses are just easier to have snatched in a port. I use the fanny pack, then tie a long sleeve shirt around my waist over it. Shirt is handy if I start to sunburn, plus I like having my hands free.
Since you said you didn't know where to get one, I'll send you one if you like!!!
Marty
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Boiler Cuiser,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
NEVER...NEVER...go anywhere on foreign soil without your passport!!! If you are stopped by the police or need to give proof of ID, almost all countries will not accept anything but your passport. Without your passport with you, you are considered no more than an illegal alien...subject to possible jail and deportation. Even the local US consulate will not help you without proof of citizenship!!
Your point about needing a passport to present as official identification is true of some countries but not all. Nonetheless, all U. S. Embassies and U. S. Consulates will act to assist you if you present yourself and provide verifiable information (name and date and place of birth or naturalization, for example) as to your status as a citizen. Indeed, one of the functions of U. S. Embassies and U. S. Consolates is to issue a temporary passport that permits you to return to the United States if you lose your passport in a foreign country!

Beyond that, "kd" is quite correct.

>> 1. Cruise ships often collect the passports of all passengers so that they have them available for immigration staff when the ship enters a foreign port. If you wish to keep your passport, you will have to appear in person at "oh-dark-thirty" when the ship arrives -- that is, if the staff allow you to board without complying with their instructions!

>> 2. Some foreign countries have laws requiring hotels therein to retain passports of foreign visitors from check-in to check-out so that they can present them to authorities if authorities question the identity of a guest. Of course, this also (1) prevents foreign visitors from leaving the country without paying their hotel bills and (2) provides authorities with immediate identification of any guest who leaves the hotel without paying!

More fundamentally, the cruise lines know the requirements of each nation that a ship will visit and provide appropriate direction to their purser's staffs with regard to passports. I have been on cruises during which the staff collected our passports for several ports of call, then returned them to us for a couple ports of call where we had to bring them ashore, then collected them again for the duration of the cruise. It all depends upon the laws of the countries that each cruise visits.

Norm.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sanuk4u

Thanks for posting this list, I had gotten random emails about taking things on your list. It is nice to get an entire list of little things we don't think about to pack! Greatly appreciate this! Also great for my future vacations to other countries as well!

Happy Sailings!

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Admiral

In some European countries there can be pick pockets. As you are looking up at an old building, someone is in your purse robbing you blind. Or someone cuts the strap of your purse off and runs around with it.

Money belts or Security Purses are the key. I used a money belt in Italy and never had a problem. However, I did hear passengers talking about being pick pocketed. Security Purses have a slashproof front panel, steel wire-reinforced adjustable shoulder strap with interior anchor, and concealed safety hook on the front flap.
My mom has this one made by Magellan. Magellan makes lots of security stuff including backpacks and laptop cases all with the slashproof front panel. We got are stuff at REI, but you can order direct.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sanuk4u

As I look through this list, it totally makes sense to bring just about every thing on it. Seeing as how there isn't a convenient store where you can just go and pick it up from. Well, at a reasonable price at least. A hanging shoe rack seems to be the common thing from everyone. Seems bulky, no? But I have something similar so maybe I will just try it. Thanks again!

Don't for get a photo copy of your ID's and passports, just incase!

Happy Sailings!

Old September 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Beginner

We're preparing for our first cruise. These message boards have been such a help in choosing our destination, cruise line, and rooms. And now thanks so much for the great packing lists! I have a document in word that I've been adding to. I'm a little confused tho about the passport issue...we're going to the southern caribbean...do we take the passport ashore or should I make several copies?
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Admiral

In the Southern Caribbean, you are dealing with a variety of countries. Some, I would carry the original with me, others, like the Dutch Antilles, I take a copy. Not an expert on this, just what I do to ensure my comfort level. Venezuela is one where I took the original, but we can't go there anymore, so it's not relevant.
If you post the ports, maybe we can help more.
Marty
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Default PASSPORTS

The only place that took our passports was in Brazil.-the Princess line.and we did get them back during the cruise.. I would strongly recommend you photostat your passports (several copies) and unless your going to a bank on shore.DO NOT TAKE YOUR PASSPORT OUT OF THE SAFE.. Everybody here is paranoid.. Of course you can go to Venezuela, frankly there are several Caribbean islands I wouldn't even bother about anymore.. starting with Antigua (not just because of the recent incident, but because of the surliness of the people we met) ..but I'm sure the cruise ships aren't going...Each person should carry a copy of theirs and their partners..keep them in your luggage and on you... For camera bags and cameras..Parrot Pop bought through one of the travel magazines.. a strap that has metal through it and cannot be cut off...for the bag and the camera..He also has a holder that going through the TSA he wears around his neck.. and then can attach to his belt and drop into his pants.. As for my handbags.. I have a large SAFETY PIN.. THAT i pin my $$ or Euros in a little change purse in my bag.. either to a metal pull or the lining.
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Thank you for explaining what the over the door shoe hanger is for.

We are going on our first cruise in Dec. I'm reading as much as I can, but could figure what the shoe holder was for. I now think it would be worth bringing.
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Default SHOE BAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Joelle
Thank you for explaining what the over the door shoe hanger is for.

We are going on our first cruise in Dec. I'm reading as much as I can, but could figure what the shoe holder was for. I now think it would be worth bringing.
BUY THE least expensive..not the vinyl..but mesh. I've been using one for more than 20 years and it makes all the little stuff fine "a home"