Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default What Not to Bring

As many of us are struggling with fitting everything into a small amount of luggage, what with airline restrictions and just not wanting to carry so many damn suitcases, I though it would be a good idea if, instead of posting what they did/will pack, people post lists of things that they did pack but later found that they really didn't need, so future cruisers will be able to cut some things out of their packing list.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: What Not to Bring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches99
As many of us are struggling with fitting everything into a small amount of luggage, what with airline restrictions and just not wanting to carry so many damn suitcases, I though it would be a good idea if, instead of posting what they did/will pack, people post lists of things that they did pack but later found that they really didn't need, so future cruisers will be able to cut some things out of their packing list.

Anyone?
I'm not trying to be too glib but 90% of the things that people tell you "to" bring are good things not to bring.

I've never had a use for duct tape and I don't think I would bring a bungie cord. The door doesn't have to stay open.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:39 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
[
I've never had a use for duct tape and I don't think I would bring a bungie cord. The door doesn't have to stay open.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Peaches99,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Anyone?
If you use the packing lists in the "Packing Made Simple" thread as a guide, with the adaptations and ajustments described therein, you will have what you really need and not much else.

Norm.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would suggest to bring as few pairs of shoes as possible. I am bringing TWO with me (dressy flats and thongs--aka flip flops), and I will wear the sandals.

I also have no use for duct tape or bungee cord--why keep the door open at night? I don't see a reason to bring a cooler with pop in it. I don't see a need to bring pop at all when you can get it on board. A fountain card is around $40 for an adult, and it is unlimited for the day. Yes, it is one at a time, but you can finish one and get another!!!!

I streamline my list to what I need. I pare it down by seeing what I brought and didn't need....Needless to say, I won't be going with a few items I went with last time!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Admiral

i used to bring a change of clothing for everyday when i was an inexperienced cruiser, not anymore, 2 days out of a pair of shorts, 2 nights out of a pair of slacks or skirt, i only bring one pair of dress shoes, 1 pair of casual sandals, i wear my sneakers and pack 1 pair of water sandals. I don't pack air freshener, hairdryer, sanitizing spray, bungee cords, duct tape, powerstrips or a nitelite
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Captain

[
Anyone?[/quote]

I'm not trying to be too glib but 90% of the things that people tell you "to" bring are good things not to bring.

Take care,
Mike[/quote]

Obviously you undervalue a good bungee cord!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Passenger

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...I usally travel heavy (including framed photos of my dogs to put out on the furniture), personal appliances (steamer, hair blower, etc.), favorite wines, suits, lysol, and anything else I think I might want while away. Life is too short to spend what is supposed to be the most relaxing time of your life wishing you had things, and feeling like you're "doing without". If I have to pay for another suitcase, so be it. I've never regretted taking as much as I do, nor had a problem managing my luggage--that's what porters are for!
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04