Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Default Hats-a normally overlooked important article of tropicalwear

I am looking for a suggestion for a hat to take with me for my days when I will be exposed to alot of sun. At home I typically wear a fedora, but I wonder if the tropical version of the fedora(the panama) isn't a little cliched. I am definitely looking for something with style but I also don't want to stick out(more than I am trying to anyway). I know one of the days I will be on a shore excursion I won't be taking a hat due to the activity I have chosen.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just be sure to wear a sun block on your face when you don't have a hat, you should be OK then. You can also pick up a sun visor, you'll see a lot of ladies that wear them, they seem to do the trick.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Brad,
Keep in mind that it can be very hot. Even the coolest looking hat doesn't look good if you are dripping sweat from under the brim.

My husband is a hat junkie. What he prefers for cruises is a tropical hat (I don't know the name of the style). It has a flat crown, with a band of mesh around it below the crown, then a wide, flat brim. It is made out of cloth and the mesh lets air in. It is also very easy to take with you in ports, since it will lie flat or can be folded up.
If you want, PM me and I will send you the name of the online company that sells them.
Marty
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Passenger

I carry two hats when I travel. A synthetic ball/cycle cap and a Columbia Booney hat. Both pack flat and are not bothered by rain. The ball cap is more stylish but the booney cap really keeps the sun off. Even I have to say that I look like a tourist while wearing the booney. It works and I continue to use it but there is not much good I can say about the looks. But, when I am in the sun at the equator all day long (I have a shaved head & blue eyes so the sun really burns) I wear the booney. The bottom of the hat is black to absorb everything reflecting up from the sand & water and the brim is mesh to keep my brain cool. Just dont' ask for a picture of me wearing it.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

brad i think that a classic hat like the panama will never go out of style
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
Admiral

True enough, but one also doesnt want to look older than they are. I prefer an "updated classic".