Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default luggage problem

I just purchased a new suitcase. With the strict baggage policy at Delta(baggage can only be 62"), I measured mine and it is just 62". Has anyone had any close calls with this problem and how was it handled.
Booe's mom
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sounds like you should be OK, just make sure the weight of the packed bag doesn't go over 50 pounds...

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Familiar Face

Delta, just sent me an email about the baggage, but it was a form letter. I even suggested going to our very small local airport to let them measure it. I sure don't want to get a $150 penalty.
Booe's mom
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Passenger

I would not make a trip to the airport just to have them measure my bag. You will probably get a different measurement from each person you ask. Even the scales have quite a range. On our last cruise I put my bag on 2 different airport scales and they were almost 3 pound different. So if you are ever a pound over, look for the scales that read light.
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: luggage problem

Booe's mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just purchased a new suitcase. With the strict baggage policy at Delta(baggage can only be 62"), I measured mine and it is just 62". Has anyone had any close calls with this problem and how was it handled.
It should be no problem. Airline employees have good eyes and they pretty well know what size a bag is. They seldom actually measure a bag. Rather, they just assess the fee if the bag is obviously too big.

The big "gotcha" with a bag of that size, however, is weight. Most airlines charge a fairly nominal amount ($20 or $25) for bags that weigh over fifty (50) pounds but less than seventy (70) pounds. If your bag goes over seventy (70) pounds, however, you'll pay a lot more (typically $100) for it.

Norm.
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: luggage problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by booe's mom
Booe's mom
As Norm said, the airlines have pretty good eyes when it comes to luggage and if you measured it and it is exactly 62", then you should have no problem.

The BIG concern I would have is the actual weight of the luggage itself. If the luggage is around 20 pounds it's basically worthless. You are using 2/5 of your weight allowance on an empty bag. You will only be able to pack 30 pounds of stuff in it. You will probably have loads of empty space.

We retired our 30" bags for this reason.

I suggest a smaller, lighter, bag that you can put more stuff in.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Familiar Face

Our group is flying Delta, and we just heard today that they are going to charge $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second. I just can chance getting charged again for over the weight limit. It is just not worth it.
I didn't realize that I'll over $125 in baggage fees even before the trip starts. We are a family of three. And I thought gas prices were going down,.
Booes mom
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Admiral

booe's mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our group is flying Delta, and we just heard today that they are going to charge $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second. I just can chance getting charged again for over the weight limit. It is just not worth it.
I didn't realize that I'll over $125 in baggage fees even before the trip starts. We are a family of three. And I thought gas prices were going down,.
Booes mom
If it's any concern, the new charge does NOT apply to tickets issued before today. It also does NOT apply to unrestricted, business class, or first class tickets or to "Medallion" members of SkyMiles.

Norm.