Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Luggage fees-I give up!

That is it, I am going to bring two pieces of luggage for January and begrudgingly pay the $40 it will cost, even though travellers to Europe don't have to pay luggage surcharge. I'm flying UNited in Janaury and there is no way I can pack for a seven day cruise and have enough room for all the goodies I bring home. I tried in in September and I spent $400 less than I want to in buying goodies because I had ZERO room in my rolling carry on for anymore goodies after Cozumel (port #2 of 4!). I could have bought some stunning maya carved limestone in Belize, but there was no room in my suitcase. I also wanted to buy a wonderful carved box in Roatan, alas, no room in the suitcase!

My one suitcase (free on Air Canada) was so full the extender had a hard time closing. I also packed it just right--the one suitcase weighted EXACTLY 50lbs.....I am glad they didn't weigh the carry on, it proably weighted 30-40lbs with the heavier/breakable items packed in it....

No, I will pay $40 each way to bring two pieces of luggage. I'm going to have to pay $60-80 for cab fare to get home from the airport at midnight anyhow....

Please, if any airline exectives are reading these posts, STOP the domestic/transboder baggage fee! It is a cash grab by the airlines so they show a profit....be nice to us passengers, stop the charge!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, with the fuel prices going down, they should at least adjust the charge, I would hope?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
First Mate

For years now, I have been using postal service to send things home. Once in Hawaii, my luggage 'broke' half way through the trip. I packed it with all the goodies I bought and mailed it home.

Of course, a post office trip takes time out of your vacation. It also costs some money, depending on the weight. But if I see something I want to purchase, I will get it.

Heck, I have shipped my dirty clothes home a couple of times.

Keep smiling...

Old November 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Luggage fees-I give up!

misguidedangel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That is it, I am going to bring two pieces of luggage for January and begrudgingly pay the $40 it will cost, even though travellers to Europe don't have to pay luggage surcharge. I'm flying UNited in Janaury and there is no way I can pack for a seven day cruise and have enough room for all the goodies I bring home. I tried in in September and I spent $400 less than I want to in buying goodies because I had ZERO room in my rolling carry on for anymore goodies after Cozumel (port #2 of 4!). I could have bought some stunning maya carved limestone in Belize, but there was no room in my suitcase. I also wanted to buy a wonderful carved box in Roatan, alas, no room in the suitcase!

My one suitcase (free on Air Canada) was so full the extender had a hard time closing. I also packed it just right--the one suitcase weighted EXACTLY 50lbs.....I am glad they didn't weigh the carry on, it proably weighted 30-40lbs with the heavier/breakable items packed in it....

No, I will pay $40 each way to bring two pieces of luggage. I'm going to have to pay $60-80 for cab fare to get home from the airport at midnight anyhow....

Please, if any airline exectives are reading these posts, STOP the domestic/transboder baggage fee! It is a cash grab by the airlines so they show a profit....be nice to us passengers, stop the charge!!!!!
Actually, it's the baggage fee that's terribly misguided -- and I suspect that the airlines will drop it like a hot potato as soon as they figure out that delays to check carry-on baggage for which there isn't enough room in the overhead bins are delaying departures sufficiently to gum up their operations.

Norm.
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Yes, it seems that it takes forever to load a plane and the overhead is now getting more and more overloaded because people are packing a rolling carry on and bringing one bag (like I did). The flight I took in September should have been loaded and ready to take off by 12:20-12:30am (red eye flight), but it was a few minutes before 1am before we taxied away from the gate and left. I didn't mind as I had 3h45m to kill at Toronto Pearson waiting for the flight to Miami....alas, travelling alone means you can't crash for a while because no one is there to keep an eye on your bags.....

I am going to make the final decision if I bring two suitcases or one+rolling carry on + packed duffle bag a during the Xmas break cuz that is when I'll be pulling the suitcases out and packing 75% of my clothes!!!! The good thing about travelling when it is cold (and winter) is you can wash all the tank tops, shorts, and summery clothes and pack them because it tends to be too cold to wear a tak top and shorts outside when it is colder than zero degrees celcius....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Familiar Face

Go Westjet! Then you can take two pieces of checked luggage AND two carry on.

I avoid AC whenever I can. (especially since I am from the West!)

Celebrity Eclipse, 2014
Carnival Valor, 2013
Carnival Miracle, 2010
Carnival Glory, 2009
NCL Sun, 2007
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Real Batman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Go Westjet! Then you can take two pieces of checked luggage AND two carry on.

I avoid AC whenever I can. (especially since I am from the West!)
As a WestJet stockholder, I certainly appreciate seeing unsolicited recommendations!

But seriously, the real secret is to fly 25,000 miles per year -- and to concentrate it all on ONE major airline. That brings automatic membership in the first elite tier of the airline's frequent flyer program -- the perks of which include a waiver of ALL fees for checked luggage up to seventy (70) pounds. It's not difficult to find places where you can go for an economical weekend getaway to accrue a few miles.

Norm.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Beginner

I am cruising next month and have already decided that i am just going to pay the fees and not worry about two pieces of luggage. My plan is to pack a folding lightweight bag in my one big bag going down to Florida. I will use that extra to bring back my souveniers and pay for the second bag on the return flight. The bag is similiar to a duffle bag, I bought it on my last HAL cruise since at the end of the cruise I couldn't fit everything I had bought in my first suitcase.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Hollyday

Below is a link for a method of packing that I found. I didn't believe how much you could get in a suitecase using this method until I tried it. Last two 7-day cruises I've only taken one case for each of us except his suit & my dress in a garment bag. With what the airlines are charging for checking bags these days this could also save you some money. It also make embarcation and debarcation a breeze. The link gives you step by step instructions so even I could do I.

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90

Hope it helps.
Holly
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Southest does not charge for bags at all. I dont know if that will help you or not, but they are a really good airlines and they have a heck of a sale right now.

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks Hollyday!

The packing light link is great.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

United is still charging for BOTH bags. I was charged $40 Canadian going down to Florida and $40 US when coming home to Canada.

My flight for FLL is with Air Canada--NO luggage fees so I can bring two and no charges.....I'll bring one big one and the smalller rolling carry on+a carry on bag just in case I spend too much...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory