Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
david30101

Default Kilt wearing around the ship

I have gotten a Kilt recently and like wearing it most of time. Its not one of those types you see the Scottish wearing, its more like a casual skirt made for guys. its all cotton/denim wrap style and worn with a t shirt and tennis shoes or a collared shirt as well. Even around the deck and pool area as a coverup since i wear speedos most of time. How would some react if I wore something like that around the ship? Not that I care. I have worn it in public with no problems. If I could post a pic here Id show you. Im in very good shape and go to gym alot. "V" shape with a 30 waist. I guess what this question aims towards is, if women can wear skirts in dinning room for dinner, I should be able to wear a kilt..Right?..Since its not considered "shorts". (non formal nights).
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Familiar Face

go for it if you want...but personally not a fan of men in skirts or kilts.

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:20 AM
david30101

I know what you mean..Most women who think of a guy in a kilt lets say..They are 50-60s, out of shape, and not worth looking at..Im the oppisate..I do shave my legs and have the body of a swimmer..Even though im on the thin side. My next cruise may be Thanksgiving week on the Miricle (cant spell)..Its a long way off..
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

that is a really good question. I would say that your casual kilt would be fine for daywear around the ship and on the islands. You might be able to get away with it on island or casual nights, with a polo shirt and casual dockers type shoes, or leather sandals. The person to ask for a difinitive answer would be the Maitre D on board
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Not a big fan of kilts on non-Scots. Samuel L Jackson tried to rock a kilt a few years ago and it didn't catch on.

However, on my last cruise there was a Scotsman wearing the full regalia on formal nights. It looked really good, a la Sir Sean.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

green_rd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
However, on my last cruise there was a Scotsman wearing the full regalia on formal nights. It looked really good, a la Sir Sean.
That's an interesting photo. The kilt looks very similar to a tartan called "Lord of the Hunt."

Norm.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Well, to be honest, if it ain't plaid, it's not a kilt. It would be a skirt. A kilt, by definition, is representitive of what clan a man is a member of. A kilt is something to be worn proudly. However what you are talking about is similar to the whole ska scene a few years back, so it's your risk to take, socially speaking.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

http://www.utilikilts.com/?page_id=10
There are some really funny commercials about utilikilts at the site above. I especially liked "don't ask" and "call me".
And it tells you all about the "utilikilts". There were several Dear Abby comments in our local paper this week about kilts and apparently quite a few men wear them. If my DH wanted to wear one it would be ok with me. Be ready for the possibility of some ribbing though. It will be determined by how comfortable you are wearing one. I also imagine the more sophisticated cruises would work better too.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

I still think only Scottish kilts are acceptable, but then I am a traditionalist, having some Scottish ancestry.
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Only if you wear bikini underwear with it.. Boxers might look not right... then again, did you say wear a skirt or kilt?
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

HMMM Short, cotton/denim on a guy. I have seen guys in them, look like shorts to me. Trying to use the "well, women can wear skirts like that to dinner.." is rather pushing it. But there is always at least one guy who insists upon and shows up at dinner in shorts. Guess that can be you that cruise if you want. But you said it- you wear it like a cover-up at the pool. You just classified it yourself. Beach/pool wear. Not what falls in even the smart casual dress code. But unless you are trying to crash formal night dressed like that, I can't imagine anyone making an issue of it.
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

You really should look up the utilikilt.com site and look at the kilts. There is a formal black fabric one with a shiny strip down the side like formal pants. Look at the site read some of the stuff on it and be sure to look at the Mocumercials. There are a lot of kilt sites.
While I don't see it becoming a trend I think the guys need to do what they want too just as we women started wearing pants. Why shouldn't it be ok?
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Admiral

I see men in formal kilts all of the time at social functions. I like the look and they seem very comfortable. I have no problem with you wearing whatever you want around the ship as long as it covers up all the parts kids shouldn't be looking at.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Admiral

but beware of the winds on deck...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Living in a town founded by Scotsmen and keeping their tradtions alive (how many towns have a bagpipe brigade?), I see kilts a lot. It took some time to get used to it, in spite of my being mostly Scot/English, but now I really like it. It takes self confidence to pull it off (so to speak), and that is attractive in anyone.
Marty
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to april19820

I think it would be a great thing to wear. I think it would look HOT.

Carnical Fascination~ 12/12/2009
RCL Majesty of the Sea~ 8/25/2008

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Passenger

We were our Scottish tartans proudly in my family...If the kilt fits.....
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Brad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, to be honest, if it ain't plaid, it's not a kilt. It would be a skirt.
Absolutely! And a particular plaid pattern is called a tartan. And a true Scotsman would have a hat and a scarf of the same tartan as his kilt, and probably tapestries of the same tartan in his home as well.

The Massachusetts State Police Pipes and Drums has its own tartan and a kilt uniform. IIRC, this unit has competed in Edinburgh's annual Military Tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A kilt, by definition, is representitive of what clan a man is a member of.
That's generally true, but there are also organizational tartans that military and other organizations wear as uniforms and, apparently, special tartans worn by people who hold certain offices or positions. On my first visit to Scotland, I found a tartan named "Lord of the Hunt" that, I presume, is worn by the official in charge of some sort of ceremonial hunt, perhaps in the same way that officials in a football game wear striped shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A kilt is something to be worn proudly.
Absolutely!

I think that the "black tie" outfit worn with a kilt is very classy indeed!

Norm.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Captain

Actually, I'm Irish and I do know the Irish wear kilts also but they are not as well known as the Scots! Irish kilts are often solid colors as opposed to the tartans of the Scottish kilts. Yes- clan significance is the major factor here just as the Irish are known for their Aran Island sweaters.

But back to the OP's question...why not? If women can wear slacks, jeans and pant suits, why not?

Times are changing...I'm no fashion police, but sneakers? Ah, man....
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM
david30101

The type Of kilt I would be wearing is the Utilikilt and Practikilt, Olive, Black, and desert camo types. These types are designed to be worn all the time, Not just for special occasions. I dont have any scottish heritage or background. Im wearing them because I want to..If women can have the choice of shorts, pants, and skirts, etc. Then im wearing kilts.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Admiral

David,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The type Of kilt I would be wearing is the Utilikilt and Practikilt, Olive, Black, and desert camo types. These types are designed to be worn all the time, Not just for special occasions. I dont have any scottish heritage or background. Im wearing them because I want to..If women can have the choice of shorts, pants, and skirts, etc. Then im wearing kilts.
Generally, I think these kilts would be fine for daytime wear but probably not appropriate eveningwear on most of the major cruise lines.

Norm.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
david30101

From the past 16 cruises Ive been on and what ive seen others wear as "evening wear" , a kilt wont be a problem. The only time I wear any type of "formal or eve" type of dress is during the dinner and capt party on formal nights. After those occasions I wear what I want. Im not a formal type person, however, I dont walk around in holy cutoffs and wifebeater shirt either. I wear clean and nice looking t shirts or collar shirt with the kilt of course. The utilikilts I have look pretty nice as compared to normal pants (solid color ones) (olive and black).
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Default On the fence...

David,

I followed this thread fully supporting your right to wear your kilt anywhere on board until you mentioned the type/color. While I can appreciate a guy in a kilt/skirt (whatever you want to call it), I think "cammo" anything would not be appropriate for formal night.

What if you were to compromise and get a "formal" kilt for the cruise? Get an authentic tarton complete with formal jacket like the picture with Sean Connery. Second to that I would say the black Utilikilt with a tuxedo shirt/jacket (or just the vest) would be the next best thing and probably would not be as controversial.

Just like any outfit, it's how it is put together. Yes, women can wear a skirt to formal night but there are some skirts that are best saved for shore excursions. A nice dark, pleated skirt would be better for dinner over the bright flowery short skirts worn during the day.

In any case, it is your vacation - be yourself and be comfortable. Wear your kilt with pride!
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM
david30101

Like i said in earlyer posts...I dont have a "formal" kilt other then the 2 solid color UKs..I wont be wearing them for dinner on formal night.But other nights during dinner i will wear them. I have a normal tux for that. However, after dinner is over..The kilt goes back on..I will most likely wear the desert camo ones during day when outside or ashore for the hot weather..The UKs (olive and black) are to "hot" for the tropical climate where im going so I will mostly wear those for the "night life" around the ship.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure where your ship is going but just a FYI... if your ship is going to Barbados, camo is illegal to wear on the island. I was surprised to hear this but when our cabbie gave us the explaination it made sense.

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
david30101

Im not going to Barbados. Going to St Maarten, St Kitts, and St Lucia. Leaving in 4 days..
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina View Post
I'm not sure where your ship is going but just a FYI... if your ship is going to Barbados, camo is illegal to wear on the island. I was surprised to hear this but when our cabbie gave us the explaination it made sense.
What was the reason? I was there 4 yrs ago on the Legend.
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Only military personnel on Barbadoes are allowed to wear Camo. This stems from their worry about rebel and/or terrorist groups. Actually its also illegal in Dominica as well. These small islands take secruity very serious because tourism is big business.

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I have gotten a Kilt recently and like wearing it most of time. Its not one of those types you see the Scottish wearing, its more like a casual skirt made for guys. its all cotton/denim wrap style and worn with a t shirt and tennis shoes or a collared shirt as well. Even around the deck and pool area as a coverup since i wear speedos most of time. How would some react if I wore something like that around the ship? Not that I care. I have worn it in public with no problems. If I could post a pic here Id show you. Im in very good shape and go to gym alot. "V" shape with a 30 waist. I guess what this question aims towards is, if women can wear skirts in dinning room for dinner, I should be able to wear a kilt..Right?..Since its not considered "shorts". (non formal nights).
Forget public dining room reaction, believe me you are NOT wearing a KILT. You are wearing a skirt as a man in public. Hey ho thats your call, but again it's not a kilt. How dare you associate my national dress with cross dressing. Its your call what you wear, but dont try to associate it to others. I quote "Its not one of those types you see the Scottish wearing" So its not a kilt its a skirt, please do not associate us SCOTS with skirt wearing.

You do your thing, just dont "DRAG" the KILT into it
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM
david30101

I just got back from my cruise last night and wore A Kilt the whole time (Utilikilt and Practikilt). Got allot of positive comments and general comments. Wore it to dinner as well..Its not a scottish "tartan" like you said..However, its a Masuline mans garment made for men. I dont do "drag". I still wear other "mens" clothes with it..I dont try to dress like a women..BTW..I will do it again on my next cruise..The Kilts I have are more appropiate for the activitys and climate where im going..What your stating is something you wear to a function like playing Bagpipes etc.I would Look kinda stupid carrying bagpipes around the ship to go lay out in sun or to the beach woundnt it? So I wear one that fits the envoriment...Call it what you want IM NOT BASHING SCOTS. At least I have a dark tan to prove that..To cold in Scotland for sunbaithing for most.