CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   packing for a 4 day - do it in a carry one and pers item (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/362384-packing-4-day-do-carry-one-pers-item.html)

Angie McDonald March 14th, 2009 11:36 AM

packing for a 4 day - do it in a carry one and pers item

My DH and I would like to take a four day cruise. Can we pack everything we need in a carry on a piece and a personal item a piece? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

colorcrazie March 14th, 2009 01:14 PM

Probably. I used to travel very light when I was young, especially when I worked for an airlines. I could do a 4 day no problem. I learned to roll things like t-shirts and put rubber bands around them. Now, with space bags, you could probably get even more in there. Just wear your bulkiest shoes.
Marty

CA Cruiser March 14th, 2009 02:56 PM

If this is a 3 night/4 day cruise, We've done this twice. What we wore getting on, we wore getting off, brought nice black slacks/dark shirt and tie for him and black slacks and fancy top for me for formal night and a couple tops and shorts and swimsuit for the day. Bring travel size toiletries and leave the hair dryer at home. We even brought a 6 pack of soda and 4 waters. Have a great time.

worthew8 March 14th, 2009 04:36 PM

I did the carry-on for 10 days, visiting 3 countries. Any souveniers bought were mailed home. I made use of laundromats and sinks if I had to.

Of course, these were all 'warm weather' countries. :wink:

Donna March 16th, 2009 09:47 AM

This could work if you were just driving to the port. If flying is involved, don't forget the restrictions with what you can carry-on. May be work it to use one piece of luggage to check, less wrinkles in the clothing and certain items that need to be checked.

homeatlast March 29th, 2009 03:46 PM

I try never to bring more than I can carry on a plane (for several reasons) and have done 8 day cruises with just carry on items. The trick is to pick clothes that can be worn with eachother. Mix and match. You can dress up or dress down several outfits depending on accessories. And don't forget the ability to do laundry if you have to. I only pack enough to get me about 4 days into a cruise (assuming it is a longer cruise) than plan on washing clothes as I need to. On really short cruises like the one I am taking in 4 weeks there are no formal nights so packinig is a breeze. But on the longer ones where there is formal requirements I bring a long dress (from TravelSmith-I love those guys) that does not wringle and I can roll it up to pack. You really don't need a lot of "stuff" We are planning a 16 day cruise to Europe in two years....that will be a chalenge but I bet I can do it....

Rev22:17 March 31st, 2009 08:53 PM

Re: packing for a 4 day - do it in a carry one and pers item

Angie,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
My DH and I would like to take a four day cruise. Can we pack everything we need in a carry on a piece and a personal item a piece? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I would not do it unless you are on a cruise line that does not hold "formal" evenings. Most cruise lines do hold one "formal" evening -- for which you will need very dressy attire -- on a four-night cruise so you'll need a formal dress and your husband will need a tuxedo or a dark business suit with shirt, tie, and accessories. Also, each of you will need dress shoes. I can put five changes of "casual" clothing in a carry-on with no problem, but carry-on bags are not really big enough for the formalwear.

There is one significant consideration to bear in mind. There are some items that the U. S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) permits in checked luggage but forbids in carry-on luggage. You will have to check at least one piece of luggage if you wish to bring any such items.

Note, also, that the TSA has imposed the "3-1-1" rule on liquid and gel tolietries and cosmetics (this includes things like toothpaste) in carry-on luggage, including personal items.

>> The containers must be no larger than THREE fluid ounces (3 fl. oz.). Note that it's the size of the container that matters, so a 6 oz. bottle that's only half full is NOT acceptable.

>> Each passenger must pack all of such containers in ONE (1) sealed transparent plastic bag (ZipLok, etc.) no larger than ONE quart (1 quart).

>> At the security checkpoint, each passenger must remove the plastic bag from his or her luggage and put it into a separate plastic bin for scanning.

These restrictions do not apply to toiletries and cosmetics in checked luggage. Thus, it's really easier to put the toiletries and cosmetics into a checked bag and not have to deal with this hassle.

Some time ago, I put togther a packing list for a two-week Celebrity cruise and a lot of tips that I have garnered over a decade of cruising, and started the "Packing Made Simple" thread. At the time, Celebrity was still holding "Informal" evenings, which most lines had dropped but which also required dress clothing, in addition to the "Formal" evenings. If you remove the items for the "informal" evenings from that list and divide all of the quantities by three (3), rounding up, you should come out about right.

Norm.

colorcrazie April 1st, 2009 12:59 PM

Whether you need formal wear or not depends on what cruise line you are going on. Carnival and NCL no longer have true formal nights and a 4 day cruise is usually more casual than the longer ones.
Marty

Kelship April 28th, 2009 12:45 AM

Definitely. My first cruise ever was a 5 day Western Caribbean. My boyfriend and I each had a carry-on and a bookbag. Everything fit wonderfully, and I think I even had a couple of shirts I never wore! I leave in 2 days for a 4 day cruise to Cozumel, am in the middle of packing now.

I, personally, hate checking luggage at the airport, unless I am on my way home. Here's how I do it, it may not apply to everyone.

I am from Michigan...my first (and only) cruise, we left during a blizzard, so I was able to wear my bulky items...I wore jeans, socks and tennis shoes, two t shirts, a hoodie and a zip up fleece. I'll be doing something similar this time around, if it gets too hot i can put whatever I take off into the bookbag or around my waist.

Bookbag=cruise and airplane tickets, identification, money!, keys, snacks for airplane, books/magazines, camera, cell phone (and chargers for both), ipod, portable dvd player, undies, toothbrush, meds, purse items, tiny sized toiletries in a quart sized bag, whatever else I need to bring that didn't fit in the carry-on.

Not sure if this is any help or not, but we each take a clear quart bag for toiletries. Mine has tiny versions of shampoo, toothpaste, sunblock, febreeze, hairspray, purell. His will have shampoo, conditioner, contact stuff...I think that's it. We'll also bring a bar of soap.

carry-on=shorts, shirts, curling iron and hair dryer (sailing the Holiday, no hair dryers!), summer shoes (2 pairs, both fairly sturdy and/or clunky sandals), jammies, one bathing suit...I pick and choose mix and match clothes, I don't have a standard list. I bring less bottoms than needed and more tops. I don't mind wearing the same shorts a couple times or whatever, but I need changes of shirts.

But that's it! It works for me. Boyfriend (would DB be the proper term here? :) ) is much easier, he finds 4 pairs of shorts and 5 tshirts and puts them in a bag with some undies and socks and a hoodie. Lol. We'll mix and match a little, just in case.

Oh yea, formal night. Now, the last time around, we did not eat dinner in the dining room at all, mostly because we didn't pack properly...we pretty much had jeans and shorts only. This time around, we are definitely eating in the dining room. I'll be bringing some thin dressy pants and a dress that is easily foldable, and both go with one of the pairs of sandals I had already planned on bringing.

Sorry I wrote a novel, hope this helps?!

erikhag April 28th, 2009 02:08 AM

One alternative is to check in one bad when you fly to your cruise, then you can bring all the toiletries you need. When you fly back home, no toiletries is needed and you can carry all your luggage.

CornerAftPlease! August 8th, 2009 10:02 AM

It's actually quite easy to take just a carry on and one personal bag for a one-week cruise. Most people take so much unnecessary junk, and it's expensive!

This is plenty for a warm-weather cruise:

5 shorts outfits (ideally, bring light cotton tops that you can wash out in the sink and hang to dry . . . and if the shorts are too dirty to wear twice, send them to the laundry -- the cost will be less than the checked bag)

2 dinner outfits & accessories (make sure both match the same pair of shoes -- this is enough for us because we typically only eat in the MDR 3-4 times for dinner, and we don't do traditional dining . . . so we don't sit with the same people)

2-3 swimsuits and coverups

Pajamas, under garments

One pair of comfortable sandles in brown or white
One pair of flip-flops or pool shoes

Toiletries, including plenty of sunscreen
Medicines you might need
Books, magazines, reading material

StormKat August 10th, 2009 09:02 PM

There's a lot of good advice in these posts. For me, I lay out everything I think I'm going to need and then cut the pile in half. Really! You'll find that you've picked a pair of shoes that goes with only one of your outfits. That outfit and those shoes go back in the closet. Also, don't take anything "just in case". Just in case, there's the ship's cleaners and some ships even have self-service washers and dryers. Just in case there's also the ship's shops. DH and I each have a rolling duffle and a carry-on and we got through 16 days and the Panama Canal without having to purchase anything.

janek09 August 11th, 2009 04:09 PM

Here's a great article that wraps up what to pack (and not pack) on a cruise...Caribbean's more casual than Europe, for example -
http://bit.ly/YhiSd