Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Admiral

Default buying versus renting a tux for a cruise

What does everyone think about the age old debate of renting versus buying a tux for a cruise? On the one hand I can get a really nice tux for around $200 or less but on the other it may be better for me to rent since I am trying to pack light.
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Admiral

What's more important to you - packing or cash. If you wish to wear a tux on formal nights you can burn up that $200 bucks in about 3 cruises (depending on the rental rates.) However, in renting a tux it will be cleaned and pressed and waiting for you aboard the ship.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Keep in mind too, you may be able to wear your tux for other occasions at home and always have one ready for the "next cruise" It will pay for itself in 2 cruises as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Admiral

I currently own one tuxedo, but my size will change significantly by the time my cruise comes around. I know the cruise line(Carnival) charges $160 and it includes alot of things I do not need. The $200 ones I have been able to find are worth around $500-$700 at full retail value, and I do have a garment bag that does well with my current tuxedo and suits. Just want to know if it is worth it to get a second one and maybe rent an ivory dinner jacket(or buy a used one if I can find a good one).
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pennys sells a tux of pretty good quality for $129, that is frequently on sale for $99. The shirt/tie/studs/cumerbund set is $30. You can also go to a tux rental shop, where they frequently have used pieces for sale at a reduced price. Also, check out the Goodwill and Salvation Army racks.
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I generally keep track of the men's formalwear discount shops. I know for a fact I will be going on 2 cruises a year, minimum, plus I tend to go to other black tie events. However, I also see the fact that I am cutting it close. Perhaps I will look around.
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Some of the larger tux rental outfits have semi annual sales through their warehouse, you can find some great deals and buy brand new or used. Keep an eye out for one of those.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

True, right before I go on my cruise in October alot of formalwear retailers will be selling out their summer weight stock at highly discounted prices.
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
First Mate

There is a happy medium:

http://www.tuxedosonline.com/
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

I have found less expensive sites. etuxedo.com and greattux.com are two of my favorites.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: buying versus renting a tux for a cruise

brad813,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What does everyone think about the age old debate of renting versus buying a tux for a cruise? On the one hand I can get a really nice tux for around $200 or less but on the other it may be better for me to rent since I am trying to pack light.
You can buy a good tuxedo (jacket and pants) for $99 at J. C. Penney. The trick is to go to a tuxedo shop and get decent shirts and decent vests or cummerbunds with matching ties, then go to a good shoestore and get a decent pair of evening dress shoes (which you also can wear with a business suit). Remember that you will need two to three shirts and sets of accessories for cruising. The package, except for the shoes, will come to about the cost of two to three rentals.

So, should you rent or buy?

>> If you are reasonably certain that your next cruise will not be your last, or if you have other occasions to wear formalwear (a "gala" evening for your favorite charity, for example), buying formalwear is the way to go.

>> But if you don't anticipate another occasion to wear formalwear, renting is the less expensive option. This situation would include (1) anybody who is taking a first cruise and is not sure of wanting to do a second and (2) anybody who is very likely to outgrow formalwear before another occasion to wear it comes around (children, for example).

I hope that this helps.

Norm.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Well, I already have the accessories and shoes. My main need other than a tux is for shirts. JC Penny I am a bit wary of buying anything from when it comes to formalwear, seeing as I tend to trust the quality of designer brands. My current tux, which will be too big by October, I wore to the opera. My primary career is in the entertainment industry so I will always have a use for a tuxedo, and in addition I also ballroom dance and I know there are black tie gala events in that circle.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Admiral

brad813,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Well, I already have the accessories and shoes. My main need other than a tux is for shirts. JC Penny I am a bit wary of buying anything from when it comes to formalwear, seeing as I tend to trust the quality of designer brands. My current tux, which will be too big by October, I wore to the opera. My primary career is in the entertainment industry so I will always have a use for a tuxedo, and in addition I also ballroom dance and I know there are black tie gala events in that circle.
The quality of J. C. Penney's "Stafford" brand is surprisingly good, and you cannot beat the price.

But weight change is also a consideration. If you are still working on losing weight, you'll probably spend less if you rent until you reach your target weight....

Norm.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I have until October to figure everything out, thank goodness.