Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Passenger

Default best way to pack suits and formal dresses

Need help with a new-cruiser question as my husband and I have different opinions about this: what is the best way to pack suits and formal dresses ---in garment bags or folded in suitcases? I would like our things to look decent upon unpacking. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Admiral

We always go for suitcase. Garment bags can get folded up, even crumpled in the piles of luggage that they move from dock to cabin. Same problem for airlines. So, unless you are not flying and can carry the garment bags onboard yourself, I say luggage.
Marty
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yea, if you have a garment bag, go ahead and use it...I have this fairly newer luggage that has one side as a garment bag built right in, but I put the formal wear in the plastic cleaner bags as well, saves on the wrinkles.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: best way to pack suits and formal dresses

merry cruiser,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Need help with a new-cruiser question as my husband and I have different opinions about this: what is the best way to pack suits and formal dresses ---in garment bags or folded in suitcases? I would like our things to look decent upon unpacking. Thanks
I have always folded my suits and dinner jackets very carefully and put them in the suit section of a suitcase, and they have always been wearable on arrival.

If you bring a garment bag, your airline will count it as a piece of luggage. TSA rules state that you are allowed to carry on ONE piece of luggage that meets your airline's size requirements and ONE "personal item" such as a pocketbook, a brief case, a computer case, or a small backpack. If you have a garment bag and a suitcase, you will have to check one or the other and, depending on your airline, your frequent flyier status, and the fare class of your ticket, pay the applicable baggage fee.

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I am a huge fan of the garment bag, we use ours as our main suitcase, of course ours is a heavy-duty one, have had it for over 25 years, we cram that sucker full when we cruise! lol. shoes and all go into the garment bag, we use our suitcase for shorts, tops, swimwear, socks and undergarments