Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to h-e-a-t-h-e-r
Default exactly how formal??

I've got a formal dress I purchased for the last time I had a cruise planned. Now that I've done some digging, I've found that the formal nights are maybe not as formal as I expected. Exactly how formal should I be??
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

Sorry to seem like I am repeating the same questions as everyone else. I'm so nervous about the freakin formal night!!! My boyfriend is a firefighter & will have on his dress uniform. I want to dress accordingly. The dress I already have is backless (well is laces up the back, nothing back there but me & the laces) and a halter-type top (with the same lace). It is full length & has a slight "poufiness" to the bottom. I'm just not sure if I should go with this or with something more cocktail-ish. We are cruising in November, so I also worry I may freeze in the one I already have.

Carnival Magic
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Admiral

What cruise line are you going on? some cruise lines are more formal then others.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
Familiar Face

as long as you wont be uncomfortable go with it, no matter how formal or nonformal other people are dressed, its all about you and how you feel! do you hav e a pic of the dress?

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the replies. Had a hard time getting a decent pic. I agree I just want to be comfortable, which is why I'm so worried now. I want to make sure I'll be dressed accordingly. I don't want to be too fancy and feel self conscious, or not fancy enough and feel even more self conscious! Plus since my bf is going to be looking oh so HAWT in his dress uniform, I want to match, yanno??

Carnival Magic
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Wear that dress! You will look and feel fabulous. And no one will care if you are over dressed. Besides, some of us like to dress up, so there will be others that dressy, too. A light shawl will keep your shoulders warm. The time of year is not terribly important except for a stroll on deck. The dining rooms seem to be the same temperature no matter what.
Enjoy!
And thank to your guy for being in such a high risk, but terribly important profession. Dress for him.
Marty
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Familiar Face

I agree. Wear it and enjoy. My experiance has been some people really dress up, others not so much. You will not feel out of place if you do dress more formal than others. And do have a picture taken of the two of you, you both should look great.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Admiral

your dress will be just perfect, it might be a good idea to pack a nice, lacy black shawl or wrap to cover your shoulders, the ac in the dining rooms can be a bit chilly
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i agree~that dress is great. i dress to the nines on formal night and never feel overdone. i love dressing up for dinner!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Beginner

[quote="h-e-a-t-h-e-r"]Sorry to seem like I am repeating the same questions as everyone else. I'm so nervous about the freakin formal night!!! My boyfriend is a firefighter & will have on his dress uniform. I want to dress accordingly. The dress I already have is backless (well is laces up the back, nothing back there but me & the laces) and a halter-type top (with the same lace). It is full length & has a slight "poufiness" to the bottom. I'm just not sure if I should go with this or with something more cocktail-ish. We are cruising in November, so I also worry I may freeze in the one I already have.[/qu

Your dress sounds beautiful Heather. What a handsome couple you will be!
I suggest you wear a big, colorful shawl for cover-up when you stroll the decks with your Boyfriend, and if it's cool in the dining room, fold it so it gives a peak of that bare back.
Be sure to get a portrait taken before dinner, showing that laced back view and a flirty look for the Boyfriend.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Admiral

There will be those that dress more formally and those that will dress down some. Of course there will always be a few who try to ignore the rules altogether. What is most important is if you want to wear the dress or not. If it turns out not many women wear more than a regular dress or a cocktail dress you will just end up shining if you wish to dress formally. Same for us GQ/Bond, James Bond types who insist on a tuxedo or dinner jacket for formal nights even on the less dressy lines.