Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SeaTrek helmet excursion

My DH and I did the helmet thing in Cozumel. He went right down the ladder and disappeared. I started down the ladder and froze. I don't know what happened. I am not a scaredy person. Maybe it was the thought of that helmet just sitting there and the water might come under it. I finally, after much coaxing from staff and others wanting to get in the water, just sucked it up and went on down. It was great right away. DH did not know until later that my anxiety level went sky high and I almost didn't go.
One thing I should mention is that I wore my T-shirt over my bathing suit and it kept ballooning up and pushing my helmet over enough that I had to keep pushing the helmet back so I could see. But there was never a safety issue. I would not wear a T-shirt again. Don't wear one. It is a fun thing to do. Then we ate some lunch at a restaurant right on the site. They had some nice jewelry for sale but unfortunately we didn't take much money with us or a credit card so no neat jewelry.
I don't know how they do it at all of the helmet places but this one you went down a ladder right by the shore. I think I've seen some others advertised where you go out in a boat. That sounded interesting too.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Admiral

my hubby and I did the helmet dive in Cabo San Lucas. They had us wear wetsuits over are clothes; so I had no issue with clothing. However, the ocean at Cabo has quite a current so the waves were moving. This made it hard to get down the ladder. The ladder keep pulling away from me and the helmet was moving around until I got under the water. After that everything is calm and peaceful; I loved it. Now getting back out of the ocean was a pain in the bass. The helmet pulled up and hit me right on the lip. So I had a bit of a fat lip for a few hours. I would do it again, but in much calmer seas. We get some great pictures with the underwater camera.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sea Trek helmet

I wish excursions would tell you more about where and how you will do things and what equipment you will be using. Did you know you would be wearing a wet suit?
Of course the water temperature in Cabo and the temp in Cozumel would be much different. I can see why you would wear a wet suit in Cabo.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

No I didn't find out about the wet suit until I showed up. I'm a big girl so I was a little concern. One that the suit won't fit and two that I would be mistaken by a shark for a huge seal. Wet suit is not the best look on me. Right before we went into the ocean I saw something oddly shark or dolphin shaped jump out of the ocean did make me a little nervous.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994