Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Katlady,

Your advice is fine on Carnival, but Celebrity is not the only cruise line that forbids jeans in the dining room. I think that my suggestions would be "safe" in that they would be acceptable on ALL cruise lines.

Norm.
My posting the Carnival information was based on the fact the OP was taking a 4 day cruise out of Galveston. So I knew he had to be on either Royal or Carnival. Turns out I was right and he is on Carnival. I feel that a cruiser should know and understand the dress codes of the cruiseline they are crusing. The dress codes vary quite a bit between lines. So there no longer is one good suggested dress code for all cruise lines.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Captain

You cannot compare a cruise to any main land dining event. We are on a ship and in the middle of the ocean. It is not like you can just get up and go anywhere else to eat. A person who wants to dine in the dining room on formal night should be allowed even if that person is not dresses up. This person paid the same fare as you did and is ENTITLED to eat where he or she so pleases, dressed to the hilt or not.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Trucker,
There are other places to eat if you don't want to dress, so either dress accordingly and go to the dinning room or go to the buffet dressed more casual. The dress codes are clearly spelled out in all the cruiselines brochures and in the last few years have become more casual anyway. Its not really a big deal to wear a suit for an evening, try it, you may like it :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Familiar Face

I completely agree. With the airlines charging extra for bagage I consider my tie and Jacket excess bagage. I no longer bring dress shoes I have a black pair of sneekers. We have been on at least 15 cruises and I am tired of dress codes! I do understand slacks(dockers) for dinner. After dinner I am back in shorts and sandals. That is why I like NCL. Same dinning room and service formal or not!
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

Never has a formal night extend beyond dinning.

Quote:
wayneb64,

You're missing the point that it is a "formal" evening -- not just a "formal" dinner. On most cruise lines, the dress code extends through all of the main entertainment areas, and many cruise lines hold very dressy special events on the "formal" evenings that don't occur on other nights. In particular, the first and last "formal" evenings usually feature an event with complimentary cocktails hosted by the master of the vessel that require proper attire.

Norm.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Actually, from all my cruises, the dress code does include the whole evening, at least almost all stay formal, casual, etc...I know on Princess on one of the formal evenings they will have the champagne waterfall, which is part of the formal evening.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Default Dress codes!

If the OP feels that uncomfortable perhaps he should look for a land vacation or know ahead of time that the dining rooms in the evening will not admit him.. so his other alternative is eating at the buffets. Yes, with the airine restrictions I can understand not wanting take a tuxedoo/suit/dark sport jacket..but there has to be something left of the old fashioned cruising experience, unless y ou are on a schooner
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Admiral

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
My posting the Carnival information was based on the fact the OP was taking a 4 day cruise out of Galveston. So I knew he had to be on either Royal or Carnival. Turns out I was right and he is on Carnival. I feel that a cruiser should know and understand the dress codes of the cruiseline they are crusing. The dress codes vary quite a bit between lines. So there no longer is one good suggested dress code for all cruise lines.
I agree in principle with your point, but your earlier reply did not mention one line or another, thus giving the misimpression that it was universal and creating a need for clarification. This is not the Carnival board, so we all need to be clear as to the line to which we are speaking when our advice is not universally applicable.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Truck Cruiser,

Quote:
You cannot compare a cruise to any main land dining event. We are on a ship and in the middle of the ocean. It is not like you can just get up and go anywhere else to eat. A person who wants to dine in the dining room on formal night should be allowed even if that person is not dresses up. This person paid the same fare as you did and is ENTITLED to eat where he or she so pleases, dressed to the hilt or not.
That is factually false on two counts.

>> First, when you book a cruise, you agree to follow the cruise line's policies with regard to dress and conduct, whether you agree with those policies or not. Many cruise lines now have "zero tolerance" policies, whereby passengers who fail to do so have their cruises terminated in the next port of call -- especially if they act belligerantly toward staff whose job is to enforce the rules.

>> Second, when you book a cruise that is advertised to include a certain number of "formal" evenings, you have a right to expect that the advertised "formal" evenings will have the ambiance characteristic of such evenings. This is actually a matter of the "universal warranty of merchantability and fitness" that's a standard part of the civil contract law of every state of the United States and nearly every foreign jurisdiction as well. Since the formal attire of all participants is a major element in establishing the ambiance of a "formal" evening, a cruise line that fails to enforce the dress standards thereof is legally in breach of contract and in violation of the "universal warranty of merchantability and fitness" in a manner that entitles the consumer to legal redress that could include full reimbursement of cruise fare, all associated expenses, and legal fees in addition to substantial punitive damages.

Thus, fundamentally, a cruise line that advertises "formal" evenings has a legal duty to enforce the respective standard of dress on those evenings.

BTW, a similar legal argument would pertain to standards of dress generally.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Good point Rev., it does make a bit of difference from one cruiseline to another.

I've noticed in just the last few years, the dress codes have becomore more lax or casual. I think in part, from the airline restrictions, you can only pack and carry so much, but one or two formal outfits don't weigh that much.. I take half the pairs of shoes I used to and if I am on a ship that does have the self service laundry, I pack less expecting to do at least clothes once during the week, does save on the packing, along with mix and match.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

kseltzer,

Quote:
Never has a formal night extend beyond dinning.
On which cruise lines have you cruised?

I have daily programs from both Princess (before 2004) and Celebrity (more recent) that state the following quite explicitly.

"The prescribed evening dress applies throughout the whole ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM."

The "designated casual areas" generally consist of the buffet restaurant, the pool area, and the gym.

And yes, on several of my cruises (thirteen on each of those lines), I have personally witnessed enforcement of such policies.

Norm.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Quote:
If the OP feels that uncomfortable perhaps he should look for a land vacation or know ahead of time that the dining rooms in the evening will not admit him.. so his other alternative is eating at the buffets. Yes, with the airine restrictions I can understand not wanting take a tuxedoo/suit/dark sport jacket..but there has to be something left of the old fashioned cruising experience, unless y ou are on a schooner
Actually, there are several cruise lines that offer an "all casual" cruise experience including Disney Cruises, Azamara Cruises, Oceania Cruises, and, IIRC, Holland America Lines. Also Norwegian Cruise Line officially advertises "formal optional" evenings rather than "formal" evenings and Carnival has replaced "formal" evenings with "elegant" evenings that make formalwear optional. Thus, there are plenty of alternatives for those who don't want to dress up for true "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM
First Mate

Quote:
kseltzer,

On which cruise lines have you cruised?

I have daily programs from both Princess (before 2004) and Celebrity (more recent) that state the following quite explicitly.

"The prescribed evening dress applies throughout the whole ship, except designated casual areas, after 6:00 PM."

The "designated casual areas" generally consist of the buffet restaurant, the pool area, and the gym.

And yes, on several of my cruises (thirteen on each of those lines), I have personally witnessed enforcement of such policies.

Norm.
Actually Princess only asks you to be formally dressed during dinner in the DR and not for any other events. There are many people who change into more comfortable clothing immediately after dinner to enjoy the shows, movie or just lounge around. I'm not really sure when the change took place but it's been that way for quite a while.
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
katlady,

I agree in principle with your point, but your earlier reply did not mention one line or another, thus giving the misimpression that it was universal and creating a need for clarification. This is not the Carnival board, so we all need to be clear as to the line to which we are speaking when our advice is not universally applicable.

Norm.
Here is my first post. I put a link to Carnival's dress policy in it. So I think I was clear I was talking about Carnival. Here is the first post again:

4 day out of Galveston makes me think you are either cruising Carnival or Royal. Norm's advice is good for Celebrity, but the dress codes have changed on Carnival and they no longer have "formal" night they have "elegant" night. Here is the dress codes for Carnival. Frequently Asked QuestionsHere is Carnival's dress code:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

According to this all you need on Carnival for Elegant night is Dress slacks and a dress shirt. The dining room to me is a special feature of cruising. In normal live we don't get served that way. So don't let your clothing make you miss this special experience. I hope that helped.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Admiral

RichC,

Quote:
Actually Princess only asks you to be formally dressed during dinner in the DR and not for any other events. There are many people who change into more comfortable clothing immediately after dinner to enjoy the shows, movie or just lounge around. I'm not really sure when the change took place but it's been that way for quite a while.
In practice, that's what was happened on a few of my Princess cruises in 2002 and 2003, in spite of what appeared in the Princess Patter -- which was that the evening dress code applied throughout the ship, except in designated casual areas -- at the time.

I have not cruised on Princess since 2003, which is why I was careful to state that the policy was "before 2004" on Princess. I would not be surprised if Princess has subsequently changed the policy to reflect what passengers actually are doing.

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Beginner

This is common sense. Employers are absolutely entitled to create their own dress codes - and whoever told you that "dress codes are illegal" unless you have to wear a uniform is a complete idiot.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I have never understood the problem with dress codes, the details are in the brochure/website, not reading them is no reason not to comply. To adhere to published dress codes is just normal good manners. The luggage thing is another one, everyone is "in the same boat" so to speak so we all have the same limitations on what we take, wearing the same outfit more than once is expected. If your clothes are uncomfortable blame the clothes, not the dress code.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Admiral

It is possible to still be all dressed up and be comfortable...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Beginner

I am fairly new to cruising this is only 2nd one coming up. I feel that dressing up is just as comfortable as wearing a tight pair of jeans. My husband is the type that personally does not like a suit (but will tolerate it for weddings, graduations, and funerals). I am trying to get him to come around, but after this many years, it still is not working. He is simple, and humble, and never wants to look better than anyone else. That being said, with the high cost of checked luggage, a suit or sport coat is a lot of space or weight in the suitcase, but then I overpack my own clothes and shoes since I am the opposite of him. Apparently opposites do attract. If he would take that sport coat I would gladly give up some of my space in the suitcase.
Old May 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Default welcome TGI

Thanks for the post & welcome....I think it's mainly men that object to dressing up, don't see it myself, what's wrong with looking nice?
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Admiral

TGIFriday,

Quote:
I am fairly new to cruising this is only 2nd one coming up. I feel that dressing up is just as comfortable as wearing a tight pair of jeans. My husband is the type that personally does not like a suit (but will tolerate it for weddings, graduations, and funerals). I am trying to get him to come around, but after this many years, it still is not working. He is simple, and humble, and never wants to look better than anyone else. That being said, with the high cost of checked luggage, a suit or sport coat is a lot of space or weight in the suitcase, but then I overpack my own clothes and shoes since I am the opposite of him. Apparently opposites do attract. If he would take that sport coat I would gladly give up some of my space in the suitcase.
If bringing the suit is the issue, your husband can use the cruise line's tuxedo rental service. Just submit his sizes or measurements in advance, and the whole outfit will appear in your cabin on embarkation day. When you vacate your cabin on the last day, you just leave it in the cabin for the ship's staff to collect.

Norm.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:01 AM
Beginner

You're definitely right! Plus I don't see why you shouldn't abide by the rules, if everyone can do it so can you! Besides you wouldn't want people to see you being rejected in any place just because you're not following the dress code.
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
I COMPLETELY disagree with your statement here. First of all, any time that you engage in something, weather you are a paid participant or not, it is your responsibility to know what it is that you are paying for. The lines are pretty clear about the expectations and the dress code and it is your responsibility to be informed about that before purchasing your tickets. By purchasing the ticket, you are in effect, agreeing with the terms the liner has laid out.

I have no right to show up at a baseball game and demand the players play football because I paid the same amount as everyone else, so now the players are required to cater to MY wants and MY needs.

Sorry, it just doesnt work that way. you know when you buy your ticket what you are buying into. If you do not like it, then don't buy a ticket. but don't buy a ticket and then complain as if you are being treated unfairly because you are held to a standard that is layed out in print before you even purchase your ticket.

We all must follow rules in life. its time we get used to it, and grow up. personaly, I do not care how much you paid for your ticket. I do not care what you want out of your trip. I do not care if you are happy about the rules or not. I do not care if you feel it is unfair to you. If you do not like it, then by all means, stay in your own cabin...and if all you can do is sulk and complain about it, by all means, stay off the ship. You paid the same price that I did....true. But you also booked the same cruise I did. and the cruise I booked, clearly stated the expectations before I paid for my ticket. you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
I COMPLETELY disagree with your statement here. First of all, any time that you engage in something, weather you are a paid participant or not, it is your responsibility to know what it is that you are paying for. The lines are pretty clear about the expectations and the dress code and it is your responsibility to be informed about that before purchasing your tickets. By purchasing the ticket, you are in effect, agreeing with the terms the liner has laid out.

I have no right to show up at a baseball game and demand the players play football because I paid the same amount as everyone else, so now the players are required to cater to MY wants and MY needs.

Sorry, it just doesnt work that way. you know when you buy your ticket what you are buying into. If you do not like it, then don't buy a ticket. but don't buy a ticket and then complain as if you are being treated unfairly because you are held to a standard that is layed out in print before you even purchase your ticket.

We all must follow rules in life. its time we get used to it, and grow up. personaly, I do not care how much you paid for your ticket. I do not care what you want out of your trip. I do not care if you are happy about the rules or not. I do not care if you feel it is unfair to you. If you do not like it, then by all means, stay in your own cabin...and if all you can do is sulk and complain about it, by all means, stay off the ship. You paid the same price that I did....true. But you also booked the same cruise I did. and the cruise I booked, clearly stated the expectations before I paid for my ticket. you have no one to blame but yourself.
Sounds about right to me, basically if you don't like the rules don't play the game.
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Wink Dress Code

I was just on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston in September. On the two formal nights we dressed up. But, it was not unusual to see people in shorts and t shirts walk in and proceed to their table to be feed. And nothing was said. There are always people who do not feel they have to dress to code and they don't care. On Carnival they do not push the issue. Bottom line, it does not matter.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post

Completely disagree!

Is there a clause stipulated somewhere which states the fare-paying passenger MUST comply wth a dress code?

BTW I don't wear shorts, jeans or ballgowns! Smart casual is my norm!

This subject is becoming very tiresome - life is a changing!
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Now I wonder, why do they have a dress code if they don't enforce it?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Tell you what IS tiresome....people inferring that they are some sort of innovative bringers of change by refusing to dress in the requested manner for dinner, you are not. You are just people with no manners, no respect for others nor for the cruise line & staff. If a ship has a dress code & it is not respected those who do not do so are exhibiting abject rudeness & sadly typical of attitudes today.
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Tell you what IS tiresome....people inferring that they are some sort of innovative bringers of change by refusing to dress in the requested manner for dinner, you are not. You are just people with no manners, no respect for others nor for the cruise line & staff. If a ship has a dress code & it is not respected those who do not do so are exhibiting abject rudeness & sadly typical of attitudes today.
John

What a predictable reply! I call that a Home Run! I know it is the 1st game tonight of the World Series!

What is wrong with a 'laissez-faire' attitude. If people want to dress up to the nines - good for them. I will not interfere with that and expect the same courteousy to be extended to everyone.

IMHO - topic of Dress Code is in the same league as Religion and Politics - entrenched views - and should not be discussed.

Donna - IMHO - dress code is not enforced because of commercial reasons.

Back to the Baseball

+
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Commercial reasons? Can you explain that??

Message Boards Moderator