Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Just watching a period drama on BBC TV, Lord whatsisname is wearing the new-fangled fashion of the dinner jacket(Tuxedo) he said ..."only suitable for informal occasions"......
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Admiral

You know, there is suggested wear codes, but very few follow. On our last cruise on HAL I was surprised on how few did follow code.

Out of our last 4 cruises, we took one with HAL, and 3 with NCL. NCL's "suggested"dress code is the most lenient of all 7 lines I have cruised, but I have found people actually dressed better overall.

I think these suggested dress codes must bring out the "rebel" in people.

Myself, I never cared for going to dinner in shorts, even if it was only Cracker Barrel. I never have had trouble following suggested code or felt it was an inconvenience.

There are nice short sets that are inexpensive, but look well, so I have no problem seeing others in shorts, now that most lines have relaxed their code to include shorts.

However,what shocked me the most ever, was on HAL, there was a girl around 20 in cutoffs and a halter top at dinner on formal night near us in the dinningroom.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
That is exactly right! I just wish they would do one or the other, the worst option is what they do now, which is have a rule that isn't a rule.
so true, which is why I find myself enjoying NCL more and more. Not because, I did not want to go with suggested attire, but because I prefer suggested codes to be eliminated.

As I said in my above post, it seems people actually dress better when there is no strict suggested attire for dinner.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Ahh, sorry old blog and post, but I completely comisserate. So seldom do we have the opportunity to look glamorous.