Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
Passenger

Default What is the deal with dress codes?

I thought the purpose of a cruise was to relax and enjoy life. During the day I read that shorts and a T are perfectly acceptable. Why does that become unacceptable once the sun goes down? I live in Texas and I wear T-shirt, shorts, and Tevas pretty much 24/7 unless the temp drops into the 50s or below when jeans and sneakers become comfortable. (I am very warm blooded I guess.)

I have never been on a cruise before, but I am stressing about taking one as I am very uncomfortable in slacks and dress shoes. I don't mind wearing a collared shirt if its not to hot, and I assume it would be cool enough at night, but my feet really bother me in almost any kind of shoe for long periods of time.
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The dress code is basically for dinner in the evening....its really not a big deal. You can always change your shoes after dinner and put on something else, but most people just stay in the same clothes. There are only 2 formal evenings during a 7 day cruise, so again, not a huge deal. Heck, try it, you may like it.

What cruise are you looking at possibly doing?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Passenger

I was looking at the 4 Day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, the Aug 27 trip as the price is the lowest, and I am figuring less kids being so close to school starting. I am considering getting a suite with a balcony as I think I would like having that balcony to myself to sit and watch the world go by. I would be paying like four times as much as almost everyone else on the trip, but the room looks so much nicer all around than the normal staterooms.

I am also stressing about the solo cruising, but I am used to being solo so not as much of a concern as having to pack clothes I just don't like wearing. It sounds like dinner is the best place to meet people so I fear eating at the buffet instead to avoid the dress code will only further isolate me.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Are you on Carnival or another line? Carnival allows nice jeans for dinner. Although that is not really appropriate for formal night, you might be able to get away with it. Re. shoes, most people won't even look, especially if you have very dark shoes on. When we took our nephews on a 5 day, they wore nice shirts with tie and nice slacks for formal night, but even I didn't notice what footwear they had on!
Marty
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Hello fellow Solo!

I'm going on my second solo cruise in August. I've traveled solo around the world and enjoyed every minute of it. When in Aruba I decided to try this Party Bus. I walked on the bus, stated my name and said "I'm alone". At least three partiers said "You're not alone anymore!" I had a great time.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

If you feel uncomfortable eating alone, try room service. From what I read, many ships will let you take food to your room. I ordered food on Carnival from a 'chinese type' restaurant on the ship and took it back to my room.

There also might be Balcony Breakfast or Dinner packages available on your ship. Of course, this will cost you.

One night I dressed up and ate at the Supper Club (extra $20.00 but I wanted to try it) It was great! I picked a time when I figured not many people would be there and the singer and piano player were catering to me, nevermind the extra attention from the waitstaff.

If you decide to eat alone at the buffet, you can pretend 'your wife' is seasick and she can't leave the room.

You can request to sit with other singles in the Traditional dining room. You'd be surprised how many solo's there are on a cruise.

I found that just about all cruisers could give a flying crap if you're eating alone. Most will want to adopt you and/or admire you.

Depending on the ship, there should be pizza and burger spots on the ship, usually on Lido deck.

Finally, if you are not comfortable doing something, then don't. You paid for this vacation, do what you want.

Sweet Cruising!

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Passenger

A friend of mine who is a regular cruiser recommended deck pants which he described as white linen pants. He said they where light and cool and they sound like they will be pretty dressy. Combine this with a nice shirt and it sounds good enough for the regular nights. I can see wearing my Tevas with this outfit during the day (or night) but would they be not OK in the dining room? (Tevas are a kind of high tech water proof sandal.)

I was considering getting some 'deck shoes' also. Sounds like I may have to hit the Lido deck on formal night as there is no way I am packing a jacket and slacks. The only question is can I get the prime rib on the Lido deck?
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Absolutely, you can wear the Tevas to dinner with those pants...I would think they would be fine and you wouldn't need to get an extra pair of deck shoes...The Tevas would also be good for walking on deck, they are pretty much non-slide.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Admiral

wayneb64,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought the purpose of a cruise was to relax and enjoy life. During the day I read that shorts and a T are perfectly acceptable. Why does that become unacceptable once the sun goes down? I live in Texas and I wear T-shirt, shorts, and Tevas pretty much 24/7 unless the temp drops into the 50s or below when jeans and sneakers become comfortable. (I am very warm blooded I guess.)

I have never been on a cruise before, but I am stressing about taking one as I am very uncomfortable in slacks and dress shoes. I don't mind wearing a collared shirt if its not to hot, and I assume it would be cool enough at night, but my feet really bother me in almost any kind of shoe for long periods of time.
With regard to eveningwear aboard cruise ships, there are three significant factors at work.

>> 1. Historically, ocean voyages were the province of the upper class who were trained in social graces and, to some extent, modern cruising still reflects that legacy. Less than a decade ago, most of the major cruise lines still had either "informal" (sport coat and tie) or "semiformal" (business suit) evenings in addition to the "formal" (actually "modified formal," meaning either a tuxedo or dinner jacket outfit or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business sit) evenings that remain on every cruise.

>> 2. Modern society has become so casual in general that many people who really enjoy dressing "to the nines" for special occasions have very few opportunities to do so at home, and thus have turned to cruising because it provides opportunities to do so.

>> 3. The "formal" evenings provide an opportunity for the ship's photographers to sell formal portrait photographs to willing passengers, and thus generate significant revenue for the cruise line.

So I doubt that the "formal" or "dressy" evenings will go away any time soon.

That said, there is a segment of the population that prefers not to dress for dinner, and there are cruise lines that eagerly serve that segment of the population. Disney Cruises, Azamara Cruises, and Oceania Cruises offer "all casual" cruises, and Norwegian Cruise Line now advertises "formal optional" evenings, on which some of the ship's restaurants require dressier attire while others do not, rather than the more traditional "formal' evenings. Also, many of the major lines now offer some sort of casual dining option, which may be a buffet and does not necessarily feature the same menus as the main dining room, and some sort of casual entertainment, which may still be quite limited, for passengers who do not wish to dress for the evening.

That said, the reality is that all of the major cruise lines really do pull out all the stops on the "formal" evenings, when the main dining room serves its best menus and the entertainers stage the best production shows of the cruise. Additionally, at least some cruise lines hold very classy events on the "formal" evenings that don't occur on other nights. Thus, if you "opt out" of the "formal" evenings, you really will miss some of the most memorable moments of the cruise.

Now, nearly all of the major cruise lines do offer a formalwear rental service onboard for the convenience of passengers who don't own or prefer not to pack appropriate attire for those evenings. You simply submit your sizes and selections when you receive your pre-cruise information package (usually a week or so after you make your final payment), and the cruise line will deliver the outfit to your cabin on embarkation day. At the end of the cruise, simply leave the outfit in your cabin for pick-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
A friend of mine who is a regular cruiser recommended deck pants which he described as white linen pants. He said they where light and cool and they sound like they will be pretty dressy. Combine this with a nice shirt and it sounds good enough for the regular nights. I can see wearing my Tevas with this outfit during the day (or night) but would they be not OK in the dining room? (Tevas are a kind of high tech water proof sandal.)
Yes, the "deck pants" will be fine.

I recommend bringing polo or golf shirts rather than "T" shirts when you go on a cruise. Polo or golf shirts are casual enough to wear with your shorts or your bathing suit during the day, but the collar makes them dressy enough to wear to dinner on "casual" evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I was considering getting some 'deck shoes' also. Sounds like I may have to hit the Lido deck on formal night as there is no way I am packing a jacket and slacks. The only question is can I get the prime rib on the Lido deck?
You don't have to pack a jacket and slacks to participaten in the "formal" nights since you can rent formalwear onboard.

And I would not count on getting prime rib on the Lido deck.

OTOH, prime rib probably will be on the menu on "casual" evenings rather than on the "formal" evenings. On the "formal" evenings, the main dining room probably will serve up something more sophisticated, like Beef Wellington or Tournedos of Beef Tenderloin.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Admiral

wayne, the "deck"pants with a nice polo or and your teva's will be just fine for all your dinners with the exception of the one formal night on a 4-day cruise.
Norm is right, there is a special ambiance about the whole cruise on formal night, if you want to experience it all then i think his idea of renting a tux for the evening is a great idea, as for the shoes there are lots of super comfortable dress loafers that are soft as butter and feel like you are wearing slippers
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Admiral

4 day out of Galveston makes me think you are either cruising Carnival or Royal. Norm's advice is good for Celebrity, but the dress codes have changed on Carnival and they no longer have "formal" night they have "elegant" night. Here is the dress codes for Carnival. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspxHere is Carnival's dress code:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

According to this all you need on Carnival for Elegant night is Dress slacks and a dress shirt. The dining room to me is a special feature of cruising. In normal live we don't get served that way. So don't let your clothing make you miss this special experience. I hope that helped.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Admiral

katlady - thanks for passing that on, that is great, its about time that the cruise lines make the dress code specific so that there is no guessing,kudos to Carnival on that one.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am responding to Kiki's article here. It is so sad that there ar no longer dresscodes that are enforced.

Cruising is a great vacation, but it is not a rustic cabin in the woods. It is a social situation that calls for passengers to show respect for each other. Casual dress is fine on occasion, when warranted, such as an evening after a day ashore. Otherwise, glamour should prevail. I miss the old formal nights when the men did wear a tux and the women did bring gowns.

Tuxes and gowns fit very easily into small luggage. In fact, I remember when some men packed very lightly since they wore their tuxedos every night, and they were not out of place.

Nobody says that you have to have a different formal for every formal night. One will suffice, especially if you change your jewelry and hair style.

Please bring bck the dress codes.

Make cruising what it was supposed to be, a gala affir.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Wayne,
Re. cruising solo. Probably no one will even notice. We've been married for 19 years but we are not the joined at the hip type, so usually spend some time together, some apart, even for meals. You will find a lot of people like that, plus other solo cruisers.
And whether people like it or not, Carnival dress code, especially for a short 4 day cruise is very relaxed. There are other cruise lines that cater to those who want everybody to dress up, but NCL and Carnival both have adopted a more mainstream approach. Even for formal night, a dress shirt and tie or bolo is quite acceptable. As long as you look nice, you'll be fine.
Marty
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Since starting this thread I have done most of my pre-cruise attire shopping. So far I have acquired four Tommy Bahama shirts (three 100% silk and one 100% linen) for about $500, plus a pair of white linen pants and shorts and two pair of swim trunks for about $100. I got a discounted Panama Hat (also Tommy Bahama $100), and I plan to by a pair of deck shoes for $100. I also have purchased eight new "artistic" T-Shirts for about $150. That's almost $1,000 so far on clothes alone and I would consider them "Festive Casual". They are all colorful, cool, and comfortable and should be fine for all but the dreaded formal dinner.

I still have not got that figured out yet. I have a jacket and slacks (which don't quite fit yet, but I am loosing a little weight) and dress shoes which I could bring along, but everything else will fit nicely in one large duffel bag I normally travel with. I plan to bring a small back pack for water/towel/souvenirs for my day in Cozumel. I have a suit/shirt bag for travel, but that third carry on now makes my load unwieldy.

I could rent a tux but I am sure Carnival will rape me for that and I would only wear it for the few hours at dinner. All this for some prime rib?!?

I think they should have a "formal" seating time or a special dinning room for those who enjoy this kind of thing and not make the rest of us have to deal with it by looking bad, skipping it, or suffering through it somehow.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Admiral

wayneb64,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I think they should have a "formal" seating time or a special dinning room for those who enjoy this kind of thing and not make the rest of us have to deal with it by looking bad, skipping it, or suffering through it somehow.
You're missing the point that it is a "formal" evening -- not just a "formal" dinner. On most cruise lines, the dress code extends through all of the main entertainment areas, and many cruise lines hold very dressy special events on the "formal" evenings that don't occur on other nights. In particular, the first and last "formal" evenings usually feature an event with complimentary cocktails hosted by the master of the vessel that require proper attire.

Norm.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Passenger

As posted above Carnival calls it: Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code and they are only "suggesting" a sport coat. Suits and ties are optional. Having shelled out $300 a night for my floating suite with a balcony I really don't think I should have to feel guilty about not dressing up enough to meet some standard of social grace. I have shelled out a grand on some really nice attire that is comfortable and festive, but certainly not formal.

Why do I need to be formal on vacation? It sounds like Carnival agrees that the mainstream cruisers are there to relax and have fun.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a white jacket, but not sure it would be good fashion sense to wear that with white linen pants and a colorful shirt. For the other nights my Tommy Bahama shirts are kind of a "jacket" over my "artistic" T-Shirts. If I can pull of this white jacket deal I wont have to worry about dress slacks and shoes.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On Carnival on "elegant nights" all that is "required" is a shirt and slacks. You actually don't even need a sports jacket.

Even on Elegant night you will see people in blue jeans in the dining room.... so don't stress.

No comment from me if I think it's a good move or not... but those are the facts of Carnival's present "dress codes".
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Kuki is right on the money, as usual! There are cruise lines that cater to true formal wear lovers, but Carnival does not. And, I for one, like having an explicit option. People can and do dress up big time on Carnival, but it is their choice, not a requirement. Got a huge chuckle out of the poster who suggested that dressing formal every night would not require that much luggage space. Maybe not for guys, but for the type of clients who would want to go on an all formal cruise, it is a far worse faux pas to wear the same evening gown more than once than to be a bit underdressed. In the old days (left out the word good on purpose), they used steamer trunks for luggage and for good reason. I can't even imagine trying to pack for a week or more of true formal wear.....yikes!
:o
Marty
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yeoman

Now I'm going to put this in another direction...dressy night for kids?

I've found that little kids -- especially boys -- can dress down a lot. My 8 y.o. has cruised lots and he usually wears khakis and dress shirt -- no jacket b/c he hates getting dressed up! And it's always been fine.

For more details on family cruising, check out Cruisemates.com's main family page with lots of articles giving practical advice at:
Family Cruises; CruiseMates Guide

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise Editor
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneb64 View Post
Since starting this thread I have done most of my pre-cruise attire shopping. So far I have acquired four Tommy Bahama shirts (three 100% silk and one 100% linen) for about $500, plus a pair of white linen pants and shorts and two pair of swim trunks for about $100. I got a discounted Panama Hat (also Tommy Bahama $100), and I plan to by a pair of deck shoes for $100. I also have purchased eight new "artistic" T-Shirts for about $150. That's almost $1,000 so far on clothes alone and I would consider them "Festive Casual". They are all colorful, cool, and comfortable and should be fine for all but the dreaded formal dinner.

I still have not got that figured out yet. I have a jacket and slacks (which don't quite fit yet, but I am loosing a little weight) and dress shoes which I could bring along, but everything else will fit nicely in one large duffel bag I normally travel with. I plan to bring a small back pack for water/towel/souvenirs for my day in Cozumel. I have a suit/shirt bag for travel, but that third carry on now makes my load unwieldy.

I could rent a tux but I am sure Carnival will rape me for that and I would only wear it for the few hours at dinner. All this for some prime rib?!?

Wow Wayne, it sounds as though you will be among the best dressed. Most do NOT dress that nice for Carnival. I think you are confusing expensive clothing with dress clothing. A pair of dress slacks and a shirt and tie,for elegant night would be sufficient. In fact, Carnival now allows shorts on casual nights.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Admiral

We just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Legend. We only attended one of the two formal dinners. My BF had on dark gray dockers, lighter gray shirt and tie. He fit in perfect, not to dressed up and not dressed down. You can stay dressed up for the rest of the evening if you are comfortable doing so. We had a formal photo taken, then went back to the cabin and changed back into our comfy clothes. Some people stayed dressed up, some didn't. You will find Carnival is much more relaxed than some of the other ships. That is why I like Carnival. Don't stress over it. Go and have fun. Also, shorts and t's during the day are just fine. Have fun.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
4 day out of Galveston makes me think you are either cruising Carnival or Royal. Norm's advice is good for Celebrity, but the dress codes have changed on Carnival and they no longer have "formal" night they have "elegant" night. Here is the dress codes for Carnival. Frequently Asked QuestionsHere is Carnival's dress code:
Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.
According to this all you need on Carnival for Elegant night is Dress slacks and a dress shirt. The dining room to me is a special feature of cruising. In normal live we don't get served that way. So don't let your clothing make you miss this special experience. I hope that helped.
Your advice is fine on Carnival, but Celebrity is not the only cruise line that forbids jeans in the dining room. I think that my suggestions would be "safe" in that they would be acceptable on ALL cruise lines.

Norm.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Tuxes on Carnival are not an endangered species, they are virtually extinct. Again, those who want true formal nights can go with one of the more expensive cruise lines and be happy. But, NCL and Carnival both welcome a more casual atmosphere.
The days when anyone of class owned formal wear are over. Deal with it.
Marty
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Marty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Tuxes on Carnival are not an endangered species, they are virtually extinct.
Somehow I'm not exactly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Again, those who want true formal nights can go with one of the more expensive cruise lines and be happy. But, NCL and Carnival both welcome a more casual atmosphere.
Factually, I have long advocated, and welcome, the fact that some of the major cruise lines have adopted a more casual style. OTOH, I really do NOT want to see the rest of the industry blindly follow their lead. Those of us who cruise frequently have a very diverse spectrum of personal styles, and cruise lines that differentiate themselves by their onboard style will attract a corresponding segment of the cruising population.

That said, I do think that we passengers should have some reasonable expectations.

>> 1. We should expect a cruise line to provide accurate information in before we book as to expected standards of both daytime and evening dress. We need this information so we can make a suitable choice as to cruse line, as well as so we can pack an appropriate wardrobe to bring on the cruise.

>> 2. We should expect a cruise line to enforce its stated standards of dress in a tactful, but firm, manner. If we sign up for a cruise that advertises true "formal" evenings, we have a right to expect that participants therein will be dressed appropriately because formal attire is a major contributor to the ambiance of the event, as this is a matter of truth in advertising. Nonetheless, it will happen only if the cruise line enforces the stated standards.

>> 3. We should expect a cruise line to use terminology in the standard way when describing its standards of dress. Standard terminology has very clear meaning, and corruption thereof causes confusion. By way of example, I applaud Carnival's change of terminology from "formal evenng" to "elegant evening" with the decision to abandon the traditional "modified formal" standard of dress.

Of course, conversely, we have obligations as passengers, too. First, we must do our homework before booking and choose a cruise line that meets our preferences as to style. Second, we must plan to conform to the stated standards of dress by bringing an appropriate wardrobe. If we make a mistake by booking on a line that has standards different from our preferences, we should follow the norms for the duration of the cruise, then do our homework more carefully and book the next cruise on a different line.

Finally, travel agents also have some responsibility here. Travel agents must ensure that their clients have accurate information and assist clients to choose the cruise line that is the best match for their preference of personal style. Travel agents who advise clients not to worry about the cruise line's published dress code do a disservice to both the clients and the cruise line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The days when anyone of class owned formal wear are over.
We probably could debate the nuances of that statement from now to eternity. By way of example, one could argue that ownership of formalwear is one of the hallmarks of real class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Deal with it.
But was this comment really necessary?

Really, most folks don't respond very well to a message shoved down their throats when they are spitting out the message along with the teeth that got knocked out of their jaws in the process.

Norm.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
On Carnival on "elegant nights" all that is "required" is a shirt and slacks. You actually don't even need a sports jacket.

Even on Elegant night you will see people in blue jeans in the dining room.... so don't stress.

No comment from me if I think it's a good move or not... but those are the facts of Carnival's present "dress codes".
Factually, I think it's great that one cruise line, or even two, are offering such ambiance for those who prefer it. OTOH, I don't want to see the whole industry follow their lead. I do think that there is plenty of room in the cruise industry for ultra-formal lines, ultra-casual lines, and lines that are somewhere in between.

Norm.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Default Clothes

On my prior cruises I've always worn jeans aside from dinner ,tee shirts or knit polo shirts and sneakers .For dinner I would wear khakis and a knit shirt and on formal nights a tuxedo suit . Is this the norm and should I be packing the same for my next cruise ?
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Would they really kick you out of the dinning room for not dressing to their satandards?

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Admiral

BamaGirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Would they really kick you out of the dinning room for not dressing to their satandards?
Yes. I personally have witnessed passengers turned away not only from the dining room, but also from the theater and evening events, because their attire did not conform to the ship's evening dress code.

Backing up a step, the norms of social etiquette state that guests at any social event are to dress in the manner prescribed by the host(ess), who, for public events aboard a ship, is always the master of the vessel even if the master is not actually present at the event. Thus, failure to conform to the dress code is, at best, a mark of grave social ignorance even if the line chooses not to turn a violator away.

Now, what actually happens in a given situation in which a passenger does not conform to the published dress code depends upon the cruise line's policies, the flagrance of the violation (i. e. jeans and a "T" shirt on a "formal" evening verses on a "casual" evening), the attitude of the passenger (arrogance toward staff tasked to enforce the rules can escalate the consequences from simple non-admission to termination of one's cruise in the next port of call under the "zero tolerance" policies that many of the cruise lines have adopted in recent years), and, in borderline cases, the degree to which other passengers complain to the ship's staff in real time.

Norm.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Henry you should be fine with what you are planning on packing
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Admiral

On what ships or lines does this Victorian opinion come from Norm? I've never seen these things happen unless its when on the speciality lines, ie big bucks to be there and big expectations to go with it.

Never ever seen it on the norm, Norm...Amazing view of the reality today in cruising.

Folks wear what you like no-one cares today. Wrong some care and get upset but you do what makes you happy, thats the world today. I dont agree but thats the reality

Last edited by DayvidB; January 11th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.