Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal wear rentals

This will be the first time we are flying to our port and I am thinking about renting my husbands formal attire on board.
Is there anywhere that I can see the selection and the prices offered?
There were some gentleman on our last cruise that had on white dinner jackets, very James Bond. Do the rentals offer anything like that?
It would sure be nice not to haul some much on the plane.
Thank you, Kris
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Try this site. We have used it and been very pleased.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Admiral

you can probably also find the info on the cruise lines web site. There should be information about formal attire rental in your final cruise document paperwork. Just and FYI , if you do decide to rent a tux - go to a formal shop, and have them measure your hubby for his tux and then submit those measurements for your tux rental.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the good advice on pre-measuring. My hubbie has extra long arms and it is always a challenge to find anything long sleeved that fits.
I have been browsing the Princess rentals and there is a really nice selection.
I am excited to see him in a tux, he usually wears a black suit, nice but, a tux will be even better.
Thanks for all the info Kris
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Captain

cozzette1: I'm a big guy too. I'm 6'7", 48 "chest and 36 / 34 pants with a 18" neck and 37-38 sleeves.

If you and your hubby are accustomed to fine clothing, I would NOT rent from the ship's service. Many of the ships use the same vendor.

Two years ago we thought we would leave the tuxedos at home, rather than schlepping them on board. It was a mistake.

The butler brought our tuxedos in, the first day. My partner tried his on and it fit fine. I tried mine on and the slacks came up to my knees!! We called the butler (Arvid) in and he just busted up laughing. Yes, it was quite the site, but I was somewhat worried that it wouldn't be altered in time for the formal dinner, on the second night. It was altered and they did a fine job.

That's not really the problem (just a pre-curser). The quality of the fabric was just thin and cheap. It wasn't our CK tuxedos at home, but heck, it wasn't even a JC Penny's tux! It came close to reminding me of the tux I rented for my senior ball back in 1982.

The shirt was paper-thin as well and it just never really fit right...too tight around the shoulders, not long enough for my torso, I was also fussing with the sleeves...and the polyester material (not wool) of the tux was as I said, thin and scratchy. It wasn't worth it to me, and I wouldn't rent on board again; however, that's just my experience. Others may have had a better one.

IMHO, it wasn't worth the $200+ we spent on renting them.

Yes, they had the James Bond white...we went through "Cruiseline Formal Wear".
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the advice, maybe I will rethink this.
We are used to Penny's quality so less than that doesn't sound too good lol
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Kris
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Captain

You're welcome Kris, good luck. By the way, many of my sports coats are from JC Penny's, and I enjoy them all! It's definitely not JC Penny quality. Also, I just can't believe what they charge for the quality. It's not even "After Six" formal wear...at least ours wasn't.

I notice you're up in Oregon. Our daughter is at Linfield college and coming home tomorrow, can hardly wait. She loves it up there.

Good luck to you guys.
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are blessed to live in Southern Oregon, not as much rain as up north and so beautiful plus lots to do.
We have a Shaksperean Festifal in Asland that is top quality, plus all the outdoor activities.
Enjoy your daughter, I know once they reach a certain age it is harder to have them all to yourself.
Kris
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzette1
We are blessed to live in Southern Oregon, not as much rain as up north and so beautiful plus lots to do.
We have a Shaksperean Festifal in Asland that is top quality, plus all the outdoor activities.
Enjoy your daughter, I know once they reach a certain age it is harder to have them all to yourself.
Kris
Yes, my son is "at that age", I fear. I pray and keep good thoughts that time and maturity will bring him back around.

You are in such a wonderful area of Oregon...I know this isn't the right forum, BUT, when I was young my family would travel up to see my uncle and his family in Reedsport, for many years-and salmon fish, crab, pick blackberries...such a wonderful memory for me.

We've been looking at areas in Oregon and Washington to retire to, or semi-retire to.

In Orinda, we too, have a Shakespere festival. As a matter of fact, every night when I drive by their outdoor theater, I see them rehearsing.

Small world!
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Admiral

I was not going to say this, but I can pretty much spot who rented their tuxes on board with a quick look. They never seem to fit right. Saw one poor guy on our last cruise who looked like he was wearing his big brothers tux. And, while I am allergic to wool, so don't like wool on my DH (can't even hold his arm if he has wool on), the rental stuff is SO cheap looking. Better off with a suit, in my book.
Marty
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks Colorcrazy, I am getting the consensus that I would be better off to haul our own stuff and pay a little extra baggage fee than to have my hubby feeling awkward and uncomfortable.
Thanks for you input.
Kris
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Admiral

You're welcome, Kris! Have a great cruise.
Marty
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

I was wondering about this. Dan, my husband is not a problem since he has a decent one. Not that we go to formal events very often but perhaps something we got into the habit of doing from time to time. He studied at Oxford and there it was very frequent. The students even wear them for debates at the Oxford Union etc. I wasn't a student there but in London but I used to go to a lot of the parties and I love evening and cocktail dresses.

Nowadays, we get dressed up for New Year's Eve for instance.

Now, my father is not a suit type. I was thinking that he could probably look very nice in black tie (as we call it in England - I don't know if you do) but I wasn't sure if it's worth it for him to buy one since he really doesn't have much call for this type of attire. However, after the advice re the quality and fitting of the hired ones, I think I will advise him either to get one or to wear a nice dark suit. However, he is one of those that probably only wears a suit to weddings and funerals. He's a farmer and probably what you would expect an English farmer to look like, cliche I know but more into tweed and Barbour! What shall I suggest?

We women are just so much easier!
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am torn as I have heard from many folks on the Princess site that the tuxes that they use are quite nice. Maybe different line use different companies to supply the rentals.
What line will you be cruising? as I say, I am still torn about whether to bring his dark suit or rent a tux on board.
Kris
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Vi,
I wouldn't worry so much about your dad. Men who are uncomfortable in formal wear will look uncomfortable, which kind of ruins the whole image. So, if he has a decent suit that he is comfy in, that should be fine. It depends a lot on which cruise line you are on and how long the cruise is. Those that are over 7 days tend to be dressier.
Marty
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Vi,
I wouldn't worry so much about your dad. Men who are uncomfortable in formal wear will look uncomfortable, which kind of ruins the whole image. So, if he has a decent suit that he is comfy in, that should be fine. It depends a lot on which cruise line you are on and how long the cruise is. Those that are over 7 days tend to be dressier.
Marty
Thanks Marty, yes that was my fear that he might looked as if someone has dressed him! A nice suit probably is the best option, although he can always try one for hire and see how he feels. We are on the Carnival Miracle (Eastern Caribbean) for 8 days. I believe it's not the most formal but there are two formal evenings and we were thinking also of using the supper club some nights.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Even so, Vi, I wouldn't worry too much. Carnival is not as rigid as some of the other lines, even for the supper club. Usually, as long as people are dressed nicely, no problem. My hubby hates anything traditional and while a tux makes him look yummy, he is not happy in it. Same with most suits. I stopped pushing the issue years ago and now he tries to dress to look like he should be with me...his choice of words. I'm sure that your family will look just fine. We did not find the supper club to be that much dressier than the regular dining room. You're in the Caribbean and since extreme casual is the code by day, it doesn't shift too far in the other direction at night. Longer cruises (2 weeks or more) draw older, wealthier crowd, so tend to be dessier.
Marty
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Even so, Vi, I wouldn't worry too much. Carnival is not as rigid as some of the other lines, even for the supper club. Usually, as long as people are dressed nicely, no problem. My hubby hates anything traditional and while a tux makes him look yummy, he is not happy in it. Same with most suits. I stopped pushing the issue years ago and now he tries to dress to look like he should be with me...his choice of words. I'm sure that your family will look just fine. We did not find the supper club to be that much dressier than the regular dining room. You're in the Caribbean and since extreme casual is the code by day, it doesn't shift too far in the other direction at night. Longer cruises (2 weeks or more) draw older, wealthier crowd, so tend to be dessier.
Marty
Thanks yes, I'm sure he'll find something he's happy with. A nice good quality suit is probably the way forward. Now, I agree with you, I love men in black tie. Fortunately for me DH quite likes to dress up on special occasions. On the other hand, I guess a tux is too much for the supper club though.
Old June 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Admiral

No, the tux is fine for the supper club. They will probably be pleased to see people dressed as if it is a high end dinner. And, you'll love it!
Marty
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Kris, i can only speak of the formal wear rentals we have tried on Princess. My dad and my brother both rented tuxes and they are two totally different body types! They both do own their own but didn't want to shleep them aboard, the rentals were of good quality and they fit well. My brother who is used to designer duds was very pleased with his tux.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is interesting because I keep hearing that those who rented on Princess were happy with theirs, maybe a different supplier. Thank you so much for you imput, it helps make my desicion. We also don't want to carry extra clothes since this cruise we fly and I need more room for my shoes
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
First Mate

We rented one for my husband on Royal Caribbean for our European Cruise and it was fine. It worked much better for us than trying to pack one. I had to pack for 3 1/2 weeks as it was.