Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Default casual vs. smart casual

Here is another question about dressing for dinner....

We are sailing to Alaska on Royal Caribbean for 7 nights. We've tried to find what the appropriate attire is for dinner on casual and smart casual nights. On the website casual is "sport shirts and trousers" and smart casual is "jackets". Would a polo with dockers work on casual nights? Is a "sport shirt" a long sleeve button down shirt, or can it be a short sleeve button down shirt? Can a jacket be paired with a pair of dark or light dockers on smart casual nights? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! By The Way--Awesome Website!
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

All that you are planning to pack is fine. Yes, you can wear the short sleeve, doesn't have to be long, just a shirt with a collar. Seems lately men are leaving the sports jacket at home, you won't see many, so thats entirely up to you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: casual vs. smart casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughescruise

We are sailing to Alaska on Royal Caribbean for 7 nights. We've tried to find what the appropriate attire is for dinner on casual and smart casual nights. On the website casual is "sport shirts and trousers" and smart casual is "jackets". Would a polo with dockers work on casual nights? Is a "sport shirt" a long sleeve button down shirt, or can it be a short sleeve button down shirt? Can a jacket be paired with a pair of dark or light dockers on smart casual nights? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! By The Way--Awesome Website!
Hi there... you have it 100% correct.. and I for one thank you for concerning yourself with the dress codes..

Enjoy your cruise..
joey
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Captain

Hughescruise:

Dockers and golf or polo shirt are just fine on RCI (or most any line). A long sleeve isn't necessary at all. Some guys will wear a sports coat with a short sleeve.

Something to keep in mind though, it will be chilly on your cruise (we went to Alaska in July and it was freezing!), so a long sleeve and / or sports coat may work out just fine.
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Hughescruise,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

We are sailing to Alaska on Royal Caribbean for 7 nights. We've tried to find what the appropriate attire is for dinner on casual and smart casual nights. On the website casual is "sport shirts and trousers" and smart casual is "jackets". Would a polo with dockers work on casual nights? Is a "sport shirt" a long sleeve button down shirt, or can it be a short sleeve button down shirt? Can a jacket be paired with a pair of dark or light dockers on smart casual nights?
In traditional social etiquette, there is NO definition of "Smart Casual" or "Business Casual" or "Resort Casual" or any other modified "Casual," and the experts are still giving conflicting advice as to what it means. Princess Cruises introduced the term "Smart Casual" into the world of cruising in 2001 and defined it in exactly the same manner as (evening) "Casual" prior to the change in terminology -- gents wear a shirt with a collar (golf shirt, polo shirt, sport shirt with either long or short sleeves, "Hawai'ian" shirt, or turtleneck), slacks or "khakis," socks, and dress shoes, and ladies wear a top with either a skirt or slacks and dress shoes -- in an apparent attempt to discourage wearing of "T" shirts and denim. Since then, other cruise lines have adopted the term with varying explanations, some of which include a sport coat for gents. The bottom line is that "Smart Casual" seems to have evolved into an ambiguous term that means different things to different people. The best advice is to follow the guidelines that your cruise line promulgated on the first "smart casual" evening and see what everybody else does.

And trust me -- they won't throw you out of the dining room if you wear a decent polo shirt or golf shirt instead of a true "sport shirt" (which has buttons all the way down), and you won't get nasty stares from other passengers for doing this, either. If your cruise line prescribes a jacket as part of its definition of "Smart Casual," though, wear a sport coat or a "blazer" with slacks or khakis -- NOT a business suit!

Norm.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Thank you for all your advice. I am so nervous about this cruise! I just need to relax and have fun! Only 19 days left.....
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default DRESS CODES

The cruise lines have us batty with these terms.. Parrot Pop brought a tan and black jacket for formal nights.. but most nights was a collared shirt with pants..period.. As for myself I had nice long pants or dressy capris with a pretty top and jewelry...Relax and enjoy yourself..
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds
Default Re: DRESS CODES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
The cruise lines have us batty with these terms.. Parrot Pop brought a tan and black jacket for formal nights.. but most nights was a collared shirt with pants..period.. As for myself I had nice long pants or dressy capris with a pretty top and jewelry...Relax and enjoy yourself..
I couldn't agree more. The clothes you describe though seem totally what I would understand by 'smart casual' anyway. DH is very fond of polo shirts also.
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Default SMART CASUAL

Lets face it...men could care less..but women are always checking each other out.. -It's just with the airlines and their weight allowances (I know you can rent a tux onboard) it gets difficult.and especially if the ships don't have washing machines..For us women, I have been buying unusual costume jewelry in many of the ports and that livens up outfits..
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: SMART CASUAL

Quote:
Lets face it...men could care less..but women are always checking each other out.. -It's just with the airlines and their weight allowances (I know you can rent a tux onboard) it gets difficult.and especially if the ships don't have washing machines..For us women, I have been buying unusual costume jewelry in many of the ports and that livens up outfits..
You're right about women being competitive. I don't consider myself so but I just love pretty outfits. I like casual gear a lot too but evening wear always makes us feel special. I should take a leaf out of your book and pack less items and then change the jewellery to change the mood of the outfit but unfortunately, I'm a compulsive kitchen sink packer!"
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Default PACKING

Are you serious? .. If you only knew what we had to pay in "overage" for luggage our last trip.. I try, I really do, but it just doesn't work..lol.. Parrot Pop couldn't believe the shoes I packed. The last cruise in April bought a "funky" necklace in St. Barts, four rough stoned necklaces from a flea market vendor for $7.00 a piece and my special bib parrot necklace..lol oh.. did I mention I brought a two parrot bags..and in the amazon bought two little bags for myself...lol.. Just shopping for my next cruise now..lol and by the way faux jewelry is fun
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: PACKING

Quote:
Are you serious? .. If you only knew what we had to pay in "overage" for luggage our last trip.. I try, I really do, but it just doesn't work..lol.. Parrot Pop couldn't believe the shoes I packed. The last cruise in April bought a "funky" necklace in St. Barts, four rough stoned necklaces from a flea market vendor for $7.00 a piece and my special bib parrot necklace..lol oh.. did I mention I brought a two parrot bags..and in the amazon bought two little bags for myself...lol.. Just shopping for my next cruise now..lol and by the way faux jewelry is fun
Oh, I love faux jewellery too and you are right that there must be lots of nice stuff on port so that I don't have to cart it all the way there. Dresses don't weight much, especially summer ones but shoes yeah! I'm trying to be a bit 'minimalistic' with the shoes. A good smart black pair for evening, maybe a pair of flat silver pumps also for evening and then just beech footwear. The heely ones tend to weight more. Yes, I have been caught on many occasions having to pay excess luggage in airports for instance. Now, we're driving to NYC so we're not catching a plane but we have enough stuff to carry with a baby!
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Hughescruise,

In traditional social etiquette, there is NO definition of "Smart Casual" or "Business Casual" or "Resort Casual" or any other modified "Casual," and the experts are still giving conflicting advice as to what it means.
Norm.
Add to that list "Country Club Casual" observed all cruise long on Oceania. Not being a member of a country club I guess I may never qualify 8)

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

While living in LA, we got invited to a Hollywood party and the invitation said "Casual Chic". I had never heard of that one, so I called a friend whose hubby is head of a TV studio to get an exact definition. Why do we have to get so cutesy creative about things like this?
Marty
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughescruise

ABSOLUTELY!!! Of course it also depends on how cool the dining room is...some men might want a long sleeved shirt.