Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Default Need help please!!

Hello all,

This will be my second time cruising. I loved it the first time and cannot wait to go again. My dilemma is this, the cruise-line I previously went with was NCL, I loved it!! The dress code was very casual and formal nights were nonexistent. Now I am trying to find another cruise, and unfortunately NCL does not have what I am looking for. So I will be cruising either Royal, Princess, or Holland. What are the dress codes for those cruise-lines? How dressy do I and my fiance have to be, on the formal and regular nights?
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Princess offers an Any Time dining option (or something like that) that is probably a little more casual. Not sure if they have a formal night in that dining room.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Even if they do have formal nights, you'll be okay in any outfit that looks nice. Except for the extreme high end cruises, the old days of all tuxes and long gowns seem to be over. I like to take dressy slacks and a couple of fancy tops. For non-formal nights, think casual dress up. Here in Florida, that's as fancy as we get for anything, even a wedding. But, nice slacks or capris with a clean, good polo shirt or comparable will do you fine.
Marty
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Passenger

thanks, it's hard to figure everything out. Especially when you start reading all the dress code topics and people post pictures of dresses that are normally worn to weddings. Am I going on vacation or to a wedding?
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I will give you my personal experience and you can take it from there.
On my Princess cruises i will wear either a dressy cocktail dress or a dressy dinner suit on formal nights, dh always wears a suit and tie, we felt very comfortable in our attire. For smart casual nights i wear either a sundress, sheath dress with a pair of casual sandals, capris with a nice top or sweater or a nice pair of slacks with a nice blouse. DH wears dockers type pants with a polo or hawaiian shirt and casual shoes. I have worn long gowns in the past but recently went for the cocktail dress.

Royal Caribbean - did the same as above.
Holland American - can't help haven't cruise this line yet.

Also note that the dress code applies to the entire evening, many cruise lines plan special events during formal night and folk stay dressed up to attend these events.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Admiral

green_rd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Princess offers an Any Time dining option (or something like that) that is probably a little more casual. Not sure if they have a formal night in that dining room.
Officially, all main dining rooms on Princess ships follow the prescribed evening dress code, regardless of whether they serve "anytime dining" or "traditional dining."

Unofficially, Princess seems not to enforce their dress codes. When the "personal choice cruising" campaign began a few years ago, it drew a lot of passengers whose basic attitude was "It's my %)*^% vacation so I'll do as I %)*^% please and %)*^% everybody else." And these imbeciles thought it quite acceptable to show up in the dining room in ragged jeans and a ratty "T" shirt on a "formal" evening.

I did not appreciate the attitude, the language, or the degradation of the "formal" evenings, and Princess did nothing about the situation. Thus, I took my business elsewhere. :-)

Norm.
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Passenger

Going on my 2nd cruise with my daughter. In another cabin will be my cousin and his buddy. 1st time cruise for my cousin and many cruises for his buddy. They informed me they will each be wearing a tux to dinner. I feel kinda intimidated as to what to wear. I certainly will look nice, but, I may be under-dressed compared to them. Should I go out and buy a formal or will I look alright in a long black skirt and nice top? I don't want my daughter and I to look too underdressed for tuxedos? thanks
Old July 30th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Admiral

A long black skirt and nice top should go nicely with the tuxes. A guy in a tux makes his lady look good anyway! Some accessories, like sparkly jewelry, nice bag and shoes and you will be good to go.
Marty
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
A long black skirt and nice top should go nicely with the tuxes. A guy in a tux makes his lady look good anyway! Some accessories, like sparkly jewelry, nice bag and shoes and you will be good to go.
Marty
Thanks, I think I will go with your tip.
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

funmaker i agree with Marty on this one, a long black skirt with a dressy blouse, silky or something with a bit of sparkle, dress heels, nice jewerly and maybe a bag and you are good to go.
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Passenger

When we did Alaska on Celebrity, most of the men wore tuxes on formal nights and the women were dressed to the nines. On NCL is was anything goes and on Princess is was about 1/2 & 1/2. Pick an outfit that you find makes you feel fantastic on formal nights and you'll do great.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Admiral

green_rd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
On Princess's ships that have two or more main dining rooms, one dining room offers "Traditional Dining" and the rest offer "Anytime Dining." The evening dress code, however, is the same in all dining rooms. On "formal" evenings, "modified formal" attire is officially expected.

Norm.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Captain

Someone said heels... well for us ladies who can't wear heels. A pretty pair of ballet flats work just as well. And you won't be in pain. :-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose