CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Limit on luggage? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/367121-limit-luggage.html)

texaspoet August 15th, 2009 12:41 AM

Limit on luggage?

We will drive to Galveston to take our cruise. Is there a limit on # of bags you can bring? Do you have to carry it from the car to the ship? Do they have carts or should you bring one to carry your luggage? Where do you store your luggage? Are there closets and drawers in the cabins? If you have too much luggage, will the steward store it for you? Can you get items pressed/ironed after you board?
:roll:

Donna August 15th, 2009 06:41 AM

Hi Texas,
No, no limit on the number of bags, but you may want to keep it somewhat manageable. Once you arrive at the port, you can drop your checked luggage off and turn them over to the porters and they will get them on the ship for you. THen you can just check-in with your carry-on bags.

What cruiseline are you going on? Some lines have self service laundry rooms with irons and ironing boards, others have a service where they will do it for you.

Your luggage should fit nicely under the beds, never had a problem there, if it doesn't, yes your cabin attandant can store them for you.

texaspoet August 15th, 2009 04:57 PM

We are taking a 7 day Western Carrib. on Carnival Conquest at Christmas.
Going from "jeeping clothes" to partying clothes to semi-formal clothes" plus the appropriate shoes, seems like lots. Plus I have meds, diabetic gear, hats, sunscreen, etc. I am excited. I don't want to do laundry while on vacation. Heaven forbid! If I need to I will take advantage of "getting someone to do it."

Thanks for your info!

Mike M August 15th, 2009 06:09 PM

Re: Limit on luggage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspoet
We will drive to Galveston to take our cruise. Is there a limit on # of bags you can bring? Do you have to carry it from the car to the ship? Do they have carts or should you bring one to carry your luggage? Where do you store your luggage? Are there closets and drawers in the cabins? If you have too much luggage, will the steward store it for you? Can you get items pressed/ironed after you board?
:roll:

There is no real limit on the amount of luggage you can bring onboard. If it is just two of you then I can't imagine that you will have more than five full size suitcases and two carry on cases. You will be able to fit four full size suitcases under your bed. Put your carry on luggage inside one of the larger ones and put it under the bed.

When you arrive at the ship, drop your luggage off with the porters, in front of the ship. KEEP your medication and valuables with you in a carry on bag and keep it with you until you get to your cabin.

If, for some reason, you cannot fit your luggage under the beds then ask your cabin steward and they will store it for you until the end of the cruise.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

StormKat August 17th, 2009 04:21 AM

My best tip for limiting the amount of luggage that you need is to color coordinate so that things can be mixed and matched. Also, don't take anything "just in case". For "just in case" there is a dry cleaning service and shops on board. (Over 12 cruises I only had to buy something in a shop 2x). We did a 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal with two large rolling duffles and two medium size carry-ons. On a cruise that long I did send some of our clothes to be cleaned after the first week.

colorcrazie August 17th, 2009 03:15 PM

While there is no limit on how many bags you can bring on board, keep in mind that the closet and drawer space, while adequate, is not what you would find in a hotel. Definitely not what you see on an old "Love Boat" or cruise movie. So, don't bring everything that you think you might want to wear.
Only bring what you will need.
Marty

huffca September 7th, 2009 02:56 PM

I think one of the best tips so far is to color cordinate. I also make a list. My friend laughs at me. But I actually have a spreadsheet for packing. the catagories help me plan what I will pack. If I am packing for 2 weeks I make the spread sheet for a week. Because I do take a trip to the laundry or send out a bag at the end of a week. I also travel with the rule.... If I don't enjoy wearing it at home... I won't wear it on vacation so leave it hom. Happy Cruising!

JHawk March 29th, 2010 05:17 PM

Limit depends on cruise line

NCL officially has a limit for checked baggage. So it may depend on the cruise line. From NCL.com:

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

JHawk April 4th, 2010 03:16 PM

Carnival fine but NCL allowances decreasing

Carnival has no limits per se (just a limit on the size of carry-ons); most other cruise lines either have no limit or say you are allowed a "reasonable" amount of luggage.

NCL's current limit (2 bags, 50 lbs. each) was posted above.
However, in this thread from 2008, a poster quoted NCL's then-limit as "Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board."

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/356921-weight-luggage-ship.html

SO...maybe need to take as much luggage as possible while we still can? 50 lb. limit next year? :wink:

Phil&Liz April 4th, 2010 06:33 PM

Regarding the medicines/diabetic stuff.....

You may want to bring a small collapsible cooler and have the steward bring you ice.

If you don't have one, the Pursers desk can give you a sharps container.

Phil & Liz