CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   tuxedo shirt (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/367160-tuxedo-shirt.html)

brad813 August 16th, 2009 09:18 PM

tuxedo shirt

I need to buy a new tux shirt for my cruise, in spite of the fact most men wear suits I will likely wear my tuxedo(if it still fits), but I do not know what fabric I should get in the shirt so that it is breathable, yet stylish. Any suggestions?

LisaK August 19th, 2009 02:28 PM

plain white pleated cotton tux shirt

Triton September 1st, 2009 04:32 PM

Lisa's right...white cotton.

If you have a Men's Wherehouse near you, they have pretty good service and will make sure you fit into a tuxedo shirt that's appropriate for your size and the style of your tuxedo. They have cool accessories too (cuff links, studs, bow and straight ties, suspenders, vests, cumberbunds...and silk pocket squares).

Congrats on bringing the tuxedo along. I still do, and wear it on every formal night.

brad813 September 1st, 2009 10:24 PM

My general theme in life is sophistication and elegance, so yeah. I am hoping to find a non-pleated shirt. Simplify a bit by taking a tip from Bond, James Bond.

Club Eleven September 8th, 2009 10:46 PM

I got mine at finetuxedos.com. Couple of Ralph Lauren shirts. 100% cotton. Very nice quality.

Like you, I wanted to avoid pleats. A pique bib shirt is strictly, I understand, white tie only (tails). I got a pinwale shirt with a wing collar to wear with my tuxedo, and a subdued herringbone pattern shirt with a laydown collar to wear with a dinner jacket.

I would definitely recommend both the vendor and the shirts. 8)

Jarrod Hershel February 26th, 2010 07:35 AM

A tuxedo is black, midnight blue, or a white jacket with black pants.That's it. Anything else in any other color is not a tuxedo.There is absolutely no need to match the colors that the bridesmaids are wearing.A tuxedo is always the correct attire for a semi formal evening event.

Fieldmouse February 28th, 2010 12:44 PM

My husband got a beautiful tuxedo shirt, tie and button covers and we didn't pay an outrageous price for them either. After all he only uses a tuxedo when we cruise and for other dressy events his classic dark suits work fine.

What went did was to browse through our local tuxedo and bridal shops sales racks. The styles are current and the overall quality is good - great depending on the shop...but the savings are certainly worth a look.

Rev22:17 March 1st, 2010 07:14 PM

Jarrod Hershel

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1276831)
A tuxedo is black, midnight blue, or a white jacket with black pants.That's it. Anything else in any other color is not a tuxedo.There is absolutely no need to match the colors that the bridesmaids are wearing.A tuxedo is always the correct attire for a semi formal evening event.

That's not accurate.

Strictly, a "tuxedo" is a specific style of dinner jacket first worn at a very exclusive country club in New York named The Tuxedo Club, from which it took its name. A white or midnight blue dinner jacket is NOT correctly called a tuxedo.

For a "black tie" or "modified black tie" evening, however, any style and color of dinner jacket is acceptable, with the caveat that white and pastel dinner jackets are worn only in warm weather. Whether a "tuxedo" or not, a dinner jacket is worn with black formal pants that have black satin tapes sown into the outseams, a pleated or ruffled formal shirt, a bow tie, either a vest or a cummerbund, black socks, and black formal dress shoes.

In lieu of long pants, many Bermudans wear black formal shorts with the same satin tape stripes in the outseams with black knee-high stockings and garters and that many Scotsmen wear the kilt of their clan with knee-high stockings and garters.

Norm.

Rev22:17 March 1st, 2010 07:19 PM

brad813,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1241885)
I need to buy a new tux shirt for my cruise, in spite of the fact most men wear suits I will likely wear my tuxedo(if it still fits), but I do not know what fabric I should get in the shirt so that it is breathable, yet stylish. Any suggestions?

Most tuxedo shops, including MW Tux, carry very nice cotton pleated shirts with French cuffs in a variety of styles. You can choose either a wing collar or a turn-down collar. Many of these shirts are convertible between studs and buttons. Also, many men's stores now sell tuxedos, and they typically carry the same shirts.

A few years ago, some of the leading manufacturers were selling "microfiber" shirts in the same style. This material requires less maintenance than the cotton, but these shirts are sometimes difficult to find.

Norm.

Fieldmouse March 2nd, 2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17 (Post 1277551)
That's not accurate.

In lieu of long pants, many Bermudans wear black formal shorts with the same satin tape stripes in the outseams with black knee-high stockings and garters and that many Scotsmen wear the kilt of their clan with knee-high stockings and garters.

Norm.

Now that must be a sight to see! :-D

Rev22:17 March 3rd, 2010 05:59 PM

Fieldmouse,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1277707)
Now that must be a sight to see! :-D

Which -- the Bermudan or the Scotsman?

Actually, both look pretty sharp!

Norm.

Fieldmouse March 3rd, 2010 10:20 PM

Now I'm all a twitter....