Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

View Poll Results: Which dress do you like best for someone who is 5 feet 1 inch tall?
Dress A 19 25.00%
Dress B 23 30.26%
Dress C 26 34.21%
Dress D 8 10.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Rev that Cache website has limited sizes. But the other two websites have a nice selection of dresses. To bad neither store is in the area. For formal night I really like to try on the dress in person. To make sure the dress looks as good on me as it does on the person in the picture.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Admiral

katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Rev that Cache website has limited sizes. But the other two websites have a nice selection of dresses. To bad neither store is in the area. For formal night I really like to try on the dress in person.
That's always a good idea, to ensure that it fits properly. But you could order on line and return it if you are not satisfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
To make sure the dress looks as good on me as it does on the person in the picture.
I suspect that whichever dress you choose will look much better on you than on the models in the pictures that you posted. Those models don't do justice to any of the dresses!

Norm.
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
katlady,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Rev that Cache website has limited sizes. But the other two websites have a nice selection of dresses. To bad neither store is in the area. For formal night I really like to try on the dress in person.
That's always a good idea, to ensure that it fits properly. But you could order on line and return it if you are not satisfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
To make sure the dress looks as good on me as it does on the person in the picture.
I suspect that whichever dress you choose will look much better on you than on the models in the pictures that you posted. Those models don't do justice to any of the dresses!

Norm.
Thank you Norm.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Default MALE FASHIONITAS

Didn "t know there were so many male fashionistas.. I'd just love to comment on several on their choices of clothes.. The only one that comments on my clothes is the man paying for it...Parrot Pop.. So, I'd like to know the females in the life of the male fashionitas and if they pay for their clothes... For the record.. every woman has their own style..and if Parrot Pop bought me something that I wasn't comfortable with.. it would either hang in my closet....or be returned nicely.. So, you men fashionitas.. show us what your wearing..
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD

KATLADY.. as an overweight and senior citizen fighting to remain active..WEAR WHAT MAKES YOUfeel good..sometimes the things that you won't expect might look great.. Unless you have an honest girlfriend, one who won't want to make you look bad.. Take the gowns into the dressing room. and you know.. the other ladies will be honest.. I just bought a plus size kiwi/lime slacks for a cruise.. When you put on a gown..do you feel "special"..no matter what the cost..unless it's way over budget.. and then..and then...the heck with it.. Sometimes when I shop..I realize I have accesories, jewelry etc. that would make it ME.. KATLADY, buy something you absolutely love.. and "work it"..flaunt it..as for the hair.. simpler the better.... Just a few weeks ago I wore a 20 year old designer caftan..hardly worn..and I felt so special in it..soooo darn special.. I even had my pedicure and nails done to match... a soft gold..lol Parrot Pop wasn't that thrilled, but I felt like a million dollars in it.. and THAT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT.. How you feel...
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Admiral

I do tend to over style the hair some times. My hubby will comment on that more than on the dress I wear. I will go with simply hair for my cruise in May. For me the hairstyle is an important accesory.

The dress I picked up at Jcpenney's. when I saw it I thought it's just okay, but I will try it away. I expected the dress to be way too long and I wasn't sure about the color. The fit was perfect and it gave me a bit of an hourglass effect. My skin is pale so the darker eggplant color looks great. It was sold once I tried it on. The other dresses I tried on didn't make me feel that way so they are still in the store.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Length of D would be great. Color/style of A or B
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Default B!!

B, definitely. Prettiest dress, prettiest color. Shows off curves instead of hiding them like C. And the cap sleeves are a little more forgiving for those without perfect arms. Including myself!
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Either A or B.............C and D simply would make it obvious you are of a shorter stature. You really need something that shows a hint of leg, but not too much, in order to give the illusion that you are taller than you are. I feel the first two options would give this effect.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: MALE FASHIONITAS

Parrot Mom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Didn "t know there were so many male fashionistas.. I'd just love to comment on several on their choices of clothes.. The only one that comments on my clothes is the man paying for it...Parrot Pop.. So, I'd like to know the females in the life of the male fashionitas and if they pay for their clothes... For the record.. every woman has their own style..and if Parrot Pop bought me something that I wasn't comfortable with.. it would either hang in my closet....or be returned nicely.. So, you men fashionitas.. show us what your wearing..
Hey, we guys just want our "arm pieces" to "turn us on" and to be the envy of every other guy in the room, and the rest of our "eye candy" to be visually enticing! ;-)

*ducking*

Seriously, why the sexism? Do you think that any gentleman is going to steer you to something that you don't model well? Do you think that a gentleman doesn't know when you are not the right model for a dress or that a gentleman can't say, "Hmmm... Let's see if we can find another style that will better achieve the desired effect!" like a prudent sales representative would?

Norm.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

There are not a lot of fashionistos(what I call a male version of a fashionista since the -o suffix is masculine since it makes sense) out there and most tend to be homosexual. While most men can certainly tell what they like on a woman, they may not always be in the know about what women like. I am a person who has a life that revolves around fashion and appearances, both my own and those around me, so naturally I have had to learn what is fashionable and what is not. I also happen to be a metrosexual(also known as a straight man with good taste), just as many other actors are. I won't bs anyone on my opinion of their clothes so they know they will get a straight, unbiased opinion from me. The old stereotype of men not knowing much about fashion went out with the 90s, as men are more and more becoming fashion-aware as they realize the importance of a good appearance in everyday life.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Brad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The old stereotype of men not knowing much about fashion went out with the 90s, as men are more and more becoming fashion-aware as they realize the importance of a good appearance in everyday life.
Well, with regard to fashion and appearance, there seem to be about four distinct groups of people in this world.

>> 1. There are those who are always on the cutting edge of fashion, and their dress and grooming invariably reflects the latest trends.

>> 2. There are those who always dress and groom themselves in very classic and timeless styles.

>> 3. There are those who, though not necessarily "fashion plates," are always dressed and groomed neatly and in a manner appropriate to each situation.

>> 4. There are those who have little or no regard for their appearance, always wearing grungy or tattered clothing and/or lacking in groomng.

And today, there seem to be plenty of males and females in all four groups.

Here, I'm reminded of some very sage advice: "You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression."

Norm.
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Admiral

Personally I tend to blend the first 3, though my favoritism runs to trendy suits combine with classic styling. I am even working on designing my own line. My life is 100% about making great impressions, so I certainly understand the need to do so. If nothing else, every man and woman who wants to make a good impression should have their colors done my a style consultant.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Admiral

A style consultant? Not me. Not ever. Besides thinking that it is foolishness, I am an artist and my color sense suits me.
Marty
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Marty, consultants are specifically trained to help people find what colors and styles look best on them. This is the primary reason why I think everyone should do this and it's a one time deal. I, myself, plan to see one as soon as possible to help finish designing my brand.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Whatever
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Just a suggestion, not a necessity.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
A style consultant? Not me. Not ever. Besides thinking that it is foolishness, I am an artist and my color sense suits me.
Marty
The best colorist I knew when I was doing hair was an artist. You don't have need of a style consultant. You know the base of you skin tone and dressing to suit it. I'm good to go also after 14 years mixing hair color by base and level I'm good at color.

A style consultant could be good for someone that is color blind or not familar with picking out the base colors. On a side note I was watching "So You Think You Can Dance" and my hubby correcting noticed that the hostess hair was in fingerwaves. I was so proud. He likes 40s hairstyles, she had a Vernoica Lake hairstyles that looked great.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Yes, my DH loved Kat's look last night, too. But, he had no clue what it was called.
Marty
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Yes, my DH loved Kat's look last night, too. But, he had no clue what it was called.
Marty
Traditional finger waves are not easy to do. You have to be product in the hair (like get). The mold the waves with your fingers. The clamps below stay in the hair until the hair is dry the the waves are brushed out. You can now get this look with a special curling iron.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
First Mate

It's "C" --all the way. You look fantastic in that dress and you can go anywhere on the ship and be noticed.