CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   Packing (and unpacking) Hint (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/367525-packing-unpacking-hint.html)

StormKat August 29th, 2009 09:00 PM

Packing (and unpacking) Hint

Someone in another post asked if the cruiselines provided enough hangers. Yes they do, as many as you want.

However, we each use a rolling duffel and I pack a lot of my clothes on wire hangers. I lay the pieces on the bed, each on top of the other and each on a hanger. I lay slacks and skirts inbetween shirts. I then fold the sleeves toward the center. Then, starting from the bottom, I roll everything up toward the hanger and place the entire bundle in my duffel. Once we're on the ship I take the bundle out, unroll it and hang everything up.

If you make sure everything is layed out flat in the first place, you'll have very few wrinkles. Place the items most likely to wrinkle on the bottom so they wind up on the outside of the bundle. If some sleeves are especially prone to wrinkle, stuff them with socks and other lingere'. Using this method, we are able to unpack in about 10 minutes. I also take a couple of Space Bags so I have something to seal the dirty clothes into.

Hope this helps some of you.

colorcrazie August 30th, 2009 03:11 PM

I do something similar. I hang any good clothes, including those for formal night on plastic hangers, fold over and put them flat in my suitcase. I prefer plastic because the wireones can poke holes in stuff. But, having things on hangers definitely does make unpacking a lot easier. I never use space bags because I need those dirty clothes at the end to pad my souvenirs. Plus, I don't take a lot of clothes or shoes, I used to overpack clothes, but grew out of it....and out of some of the clothes! LOL
Marty

Triton September 1st, 2009 04:28 PM

Does it really work?

I've tried rolling a couple of items in the past and I'm pretty sure it worked fairly well...I think they were shirts.

There's something that "goes against the grain" when rolling clothes though, lol! I know it's strange, but I just want to fold! :-?

I like the hangars already-in-the-clothes idea though! Will have to try this one.

JOYCEV September 6th, 2009 02:50 PM

no wrinke cleaner bags

GO to your cleanwes and buy some of the plastic covers and put your clothrs in them. they are really cheap I got 10 for 50 cents I got this hint for a previous cruise and it really works

Triton September 7th, 2009 11:38 AM

Re: no wrinke cleaner bags

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOYCEV
GO to your cleanwes and buy some of the plastic covers and put your clothrs in them. they are really cheap I got 10 for 50 cents I got this hint for a previous cruise and it really works

So do you fold them in the plastic, or roll them or lay them between clothes? Tell us your secret please! :D

JOYCEV September 7th, 2009 01:00 PM

LAY YOUR CLOTHES OUT AND PUT BAG OVER THEN ROLLOR FOLD AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD PUT BAG BETWEEN LAYERS FOR EXTRA PROTECTION i LEAVE SHIRTS AND BLOUSES RIGHTON THEIR HANGERS THEN PULL A BAG OVER AND THEY ARE READY TO HANG ON THE SHIP

TwiceAroundTheBlock September 13th, 2009 11:57 PM

My son is an expert packer after being in the USN for 4 years and everything went in his dufflebag. He taught me the trick of rolling clothes. :wink:

Triton September 14th, 2009 11:57 AM

Great information! Have been squirrling away dry cleaning bags, so I think I'm set to go.

My Dad also told me rolling clothes was the best way.