Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dress code: NCL vs Princess

I am taking my first Princess cruise (10 day) in May. I have only sailed with NCL in the past, so I am looking for any input please. I see that smart casual for women on Princess: skirt, blouse, dress, pant suit...I am hoping that my black dress pants and dress capris and dress shirts will be okay.

Formal night: I do not own an evening gown or cocktail dress, but have a few nice summer dresses (below the knee, worn with a shawl, I wear these to weddings). Are these okay?
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy5165 View Post
I am taking my first Princess cruise (10 day) in May. I have only sailed with NCL in the past, so I am looking for any input please. I see that smart casual for women on Princess: skirt, blouse, dress, pant suit...I am hoping that my black dress pants and dress capris and dress shirts will be okay.

Formal night: I do not own an evening gown or cocktail dress, but have a few nice summer dresses (below the knee, worn with a shawl, I wear these to weddings). Are these okay?
You will be just fine. In my NCL experience most people dress almost the same way for "Freestyle" evenings as Princess cruisers do for casual nights. Yes: There may be a few jeans on NCL but not on Princess.

You will also be fine with your summer dresses and a shawl.

Have a great Princess cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Those dresses are fine.. Was delighted on NCL to see several guests (older) in formal wear..complimented them, Princess seems to be an older crowd compared to NCL IMO
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Admiral

shandy, you will be just fine with what you have described on Princess. Add some dress heels and nice jewelry to your summer dressess. I have gone from wearing evening dressess to cocktail dressess and dressy dinner suits on formal nights on Princess, you could even go with dressy flowy pants and a silky sparkly top if you would like
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay....that makes me feel better. I always throw in some of my nice earrings, necklaces and bracelets to dress it up...I love shopping for a new outfit or two though...I just like to buy things that I will actually wear again someday.

Thank you all for your input...It is appreciated
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Beginner

Wink

we were on princess 3 years ago and there were men who wore levi's in the dining rooms. in fact, one of them was my husband. but, on formal nights we did one of the other resturants. my husband even wore his tshirt that says "i'm retired,this is as dressed up as i get" and got lots of positive comments on the shirt.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Admiral

shandy5165,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post

When Princess first introduced the term "smart casual" c. 2001, the definition was identical to the previous definition of "casual" evening attire. Basically, this term means shirts with collars and slacks for gents, casual dresses or tops with skirts or slacks for ladies, and dress shoes for all.

The one difference that you should be aware is on the "Formal" evenings, for which Princess still maintains the "modified formal" standard of dress (tuxedo or dark business suit for gents and either full length dresses or formal cocktail dresses for ladies). Unlike NCL, these are NOT "formal optional" evenings.

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Beginner

Hi- yes, you will be fine with all the items mentioned, NCL is a little more on the casual side, so you don't have to break out the ultra-formal stuff. Just dress them up with nice shoes and jewelry... black is always easy to do that with... have fun!