Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Weather in Alaska (early Aug)

For those who've been to Alaska before--what's the weather like in early Aug?? Just planning ahead to see what we're going to need to bring on cruise. are t-shirts/shorts ok or would long pants and sweatshirts be more appropriate?? (this is NOT obviously for any dining room attire other than maybe the HC.--wasn't asking for that)
we probably should take light jacket or heavy sweater?? how about on ship?? is it too cold to swim?? etc. Went to caribbean 5 years ago and about melted anytime I went outside cabin. Next cruise I was running (around) so much that I barely noticed the weather ! (are the pools heated? or is the water freezing?? just curious never been to alaska before.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Admiral

I've been to Alaska the first week of Sept. and it was rainy and chilly one day, then warmer the next. I would take mostly long pants and tops, waterproof windbreaker and a couple of light layers. Maybe one set of shorts/t-shirts. But, I am a total wus about cold weather. It was definitely warmer than I expected. It also depends where you are going, which ports. Alaska is a BIG state. And the weather is different. Ex. Sitka never goes below freezing, even in winter.
Wish I could go too!
Marty
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

We'll be going to Juneau, Katchikan, Skagway and Victoria BC. and cruising the inside passage and Glacier bay.
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Kechikan is almost always rainy. In Skagway, if you do the train or train and bus combo, which I liked better, you are going into Arctic tundra areas. But, the time I did that, I still wasn't that cold. The others can go either way. And I love Glacier Bay. But, the first time I was there, I started out bundled up like a kid going sledding and ended up getting a sunburn wearing a t-shirt. As I said...layers.
Have fun.
Marty
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Captain

On deck you might need to bring a sweater (a fleece zipup would be perfect) as it does get chilly but indoors you s/b fine with whatever.

The indoor pools were heated and usually crowded (school's out!) but worth it. The outdoor pools never opened on my cruise as it was just too chilly (July). The hotubs were the place to be !!!! We spent a lot of time in them .

We didn't wear shorts at all on the cruise but that was mostly b/c our excursions were not short friendly. However in Vancouver, we wore shorts and it was quite warm so bring an assortment and be prepared to wear items more than once. You'll be fine.

Have a great cruise. You are going to love Alaska!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Admiral

karessamom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
For those who've been to Alaska before--what's the weather like in early Aug?? Just planning ahead to see what we're going to need to bring on cruise. are t-shirts/shorts ok or would long pants and sweatshirts be more appropriate?? (this is NOT obviously for any dining room attire other than maybe the HC.--wasn't asking for that)
we probably should take light jacket or heavy sweater?? how about on ship?? is it too cold to swim?? etc. Went to caribbean 5 years ago and about melted anytime I went outside cabin. Next cruise I was running (around) so much that I barely noticed the weather ! (are the pools heated? or is the water freezing?? just curious never been to alaska before.
Let's go area by area.

>> The southern end of Alaska's Inside Passage is a temperate rain forest. Ketchikan is the wettest city in North America, averaging over 250 days of rain (thankfully, mostly light...) per year, and rain is also reasonably likely in Juneau. Also, the temperatures tend to be somewhat cool (60's) in this area, especially when it's raining. You probably will want a sweater or sweatshirt, a waterproof windbreaker, and a hat. You probably will not want to wear shorts in this region.

>> The area around Skagway tends to be warmer and sunnier, with typical daytime temperatures in the upper 70's. You probably won't need a jacket unless it's rainy, and shorts are a toss-up.

>> The bays around glaciers are chronically full of ice water (temp. 32 deg. F, 0 deg. C), thanks to the calving action of the glaciers, and the air above those bays is not much warmer (typically upper 30's F, lower single digits C). In these areas, you probably will want a winter jacket, hat, and gloves.

>> The areas around Anchorage and Fairbanks tend to have very pleasant weather, often sunny, with daytime temperatures in the 80's and evening temperatures dropping to the upper 60's. These areas do get occasional showers, though, so be prepared for that possibility. In these areas, shorts will be welcome in the daytime.

So basically, my recommendation is to pack a couple pairs of shorts and a couple pairs of slacks for daytime wear during the cruise. This will give you the flexibility to adapt to varying weather conditions.

Norm.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Admiral

When we did our Alaska cruise at the end of july/beginning of august, the weather was perfect.
We did not get any rain and it was not cold, but it was more long pants than shorts weather.
We did visit all the places that that you mentioned and we had an excellent cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karessamom View Post
We'll be going to Juneau, Katchikan, Skagway and Victoria BC. and cruising the inside passage and Glacier bay.
This is an old post so you can tell us how the weather was.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Having lived along the BC & Alaska coast , the weather can be almost anything . Usually mid-July to late August is the best weather on the coast but this can vary by the year .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess