Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Default Suncreen carry-on

Does anyone know if u can carry on aerosol can of sunscreen when flying?
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Aerosols are tricky. TSA does not allow them "except" for personal toiletries and in limited quantity.

My best advice would be to play it safe and go with a lotion or pump spray sunscreen.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I use a cream ,that should be okay as well
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Admiral

aerosals can be tricky when flying anyway, have heard stories of aerosal cans bursting with the change of pressure, i think this is a rare occurance, but it might be a good idea to go with a lotion or pump spray and put it into your checked baggage. If you love your aerosal sunscreen and have to have it, then pack it in your checked baggage
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Admiral

girlcruise,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
The ships have no restrictions on this, but the airlines do.

>> It's permitted without restriction in checked luggage.

>> In a carry-on, all toiletries, cosmetics, etc., must be in containers no larger than 3 fl. oz. and all such containers must be in a see-through zip-lock plastic bag no larger than one quart. When you go through security at the airport, you must remove the zip-lock plastic bag from your luggage and put it through the screening machine separately.

Norm.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

The interesting thing to me is that not all airports/airlines maintain the same strict security . I actually complained to one airline that I was about to board re their nearly nil security check.I advised that there is greater checking going to a government building .They were not thrilled with my statement .This was in NYC at a major airport .
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since cruising for me requires flying, I just use zip-lock bags for everything. So far, its worked nicely. There was a time although that I think we all used to put that kind of thing in a carry-on....

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Angry Suntan Lotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
girlcruise,

The ships have no restrictions on this, but the airlines do.

>> It's permitted without restriction in checked luggage.

>> In a carry-on, all toiletries, cosmetics, etc., must be in containers no larger than 3 fl. oz. and all such containers must be in a see-through zip-lock plastic bag no larger than one quart. When you go through security at the airport, you must remove the zip-lock plastic bag from your luggage and put it through the screening machine separately.

Norm.
Accidently hair gel and sun tan lotion were packed in our carry on bag...and I begged the woman to let me take my hair gel.. but no.. this 75 woman looks like a terrorist.. and don't tell me it's the rules gezz..It did not put me in a good mood the rest of the flight home I'll tell you..I've had TSA men open expensive high end makeup that was in a plastic bag and not screw it back properly and it leaked..he knew..it said the ounces on the front.. and lets not even talk about Parrot Pop who is treated like a criminal because the knee replacement in his leg goes off. Its another reason to cruise from home ports
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Quote:
Accidently hair gel and sun tan lotion were packed in our carry on bag...and I begged the woman to let me take my hair gel.. but no.. this 75 woman looks like a terrorist.. and don't tell me it's the rules gezz..It did not put me in a good mood the rest of the flight home I'll tell you..I've had TSA men open expensive high end makeup that was in a plastic bag and not screw it back properly and it leaked..he knew..it said the ounces on the front.. and lets not even talk about Parrot Pop who is treated like a criminal because the knee replacement in his leg goes off. Its another reason to cruise from home ports
The inspectors are NOT supposed to open containers.

But actually, it's no strain at all. Just put the lotions and potions in a checked bag, to which the restrictions on carry-on do not apply.

Incidentally, anybody travelling overseas who buys liquor in a duty-free shop should be aware that (1) you must clear U. S. Immigration and Customs at the first airport where you land here in the States and (2) you must put them duty-free liquids into your checked luggage to go through security after clearing customs -- which means not only if you have a connecting flight, but also if you arrive at an airport where you have to exit through the secure area after clearing customs.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Angry TSA

'NOT SUPPOSED TO OPEN CONTAINERS".. now you tell me..In Boston a TSA opened up expensive make up an didn't close it.. After y ears of flying of course I know it should have been in checked luggage, IT WAS A MISTAKE..I had sent the wrong bag through and these items were in a mesh bag hidden away..Lets not even talk about the hassle they give Parrot Pop with a new knee who goes through the airports in a wheel chair..I just find these underpaid or are they overpaid much too zealous in dealing with senior citizens.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Sandra,

Quote:
'NOT SUPPOSED TO OPEN CONTAINERS".. now you tell me..In Boston a TSA opened up expensive make up an didn't close it.. After y ears of flying of course I know it should have been in checked luggage, IT WAS A MISTAKE..I had sent the wrong bag through and these items were in a mesh bag hidden away..Lets not even talk about the hassle they give Parrot Pop with a new knee who goes through the airports in a wheel chair..I just find these underpaid or are they overpaid much too zealous in dealing with senior citizens.
Actually, most of the TSA people are a breath of fresh air compared to the private security screeners that preceded them. When TSA took over, I noticed two changes almost immediately -- (1) they are considerably more competent and (2) they are considerably more polite to the travelling public.

I fly often enough so I pretty well "know the ropes" and thus move through security quite exepditously. If you have an exceptional circumstance, the TSA staff seem to be pretty willing to assist you -- but the key is to tell them about the situation before you set off metal detectors rather than after. A few years ago, I returned home from a cruise to Hawai'i with a very bad gout attack -- so bad that I doubted my ability to put my shoes on if I took them off at the security checkpoint. I explained the situation to the staff at the entrance to the checkpoint, and they directed me to an end station that was set up to deal with special situations. I got competely wanded, but everybody was very pleasant and helpful -- and they did not make me take off the shoes. I suspect that the secret to your husband's knee replacement is the same thing -- tell the staff about it before he steps into the metal detector.

Norm.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Cool TSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Sandra,

Actually, most of the TSA people are a breath of fresh air compared to the private security screeners that preceded them. When TSA took over, I noticed two changes almost immediately -- (1) they are considerably more competent and (2) they are considerably more polite to the travelling public.

I fly often enough so I pretty well "know the ropes" and thus move through security quite exepditously. If you have an exceptional circumstance, the TSA staff seem to be pretty willing to assist you -- but the key is to tell them about the situation before you set off metal detectors rather than after. A few years ago, I returned home from a cruise to Hawai'i with a very bad gout attack -- so bad that I doubted my ability to put my shoes on if I took them off at the security checkpoint. I explained the situation to the staff at the entrance to the checkpoint, and they directed me to an end station that was set up to deal with special situations. I got competely wanded, but everybody was very pleasant and helpful -- and they did not make me take off the shoes. I suspect that the secret to your husband's knee replacement is the same thing -- tell the staff about it before he steps into the metal detector.

Norm.
Gentlemen's Warehouse and K & G I thought would be more to your liking I've seen some great white dinner jackets there.. Yes, Parrot Pop does tell them ahead and since his ankle is so bad he also wears the horrible clogs for taking on and off." TSA staff seem to be pretty willing to assist you"!! Surely you jest Norm...What they did to a little crippled woman in a wheelchair was disgusting.. actually picking her up and running the wand over her... I wanted to cry...it was absolutely cruel.. I must say I have very,very rarely found them to be "pleasant and helpful".. just once going through Logan Airport..and that agent was like breath of fresh air. Guess I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to them and I go through h olding my breath.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcruise View Post
Some very interesting posts... . But, back to the OP's question, officially, yes, you can carry that on. Unofficially, pack any areosol's in your checked baggage. Life will just be easier !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014