Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:03 PM
First Mate

Default Is this acceptable for dinner?

There are some very nice jean capris pants out this year. Would this be acceptable to wear to dinner (not formal night) with a nice top? i don't want to anger anyone, but with the strict travel weights now, I am trying to condense my wardrobe and avoid the high costs of extra bags.

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Cool Jean capris

SORRY, but the word "jean" just turned me off unless your going to eat in the buffet.. Yes, dressy capris are appropriate either with dressy sandals or wedgies...Then again it depends on the ship and it's "dress code".. I myself wore "dressy capri" one night with decorated sandals, nice top and funky jewelry.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

>>jean capris pants

All jeans are terrible - why do women thinks that is sexy-
that is not.

jeans on ship would find a lot of people
unacceptable , there is a lot of nise and modern
skirts for 20-100 USD and its weight is not more then 200-300 Gramm,
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Admiral

They don't usually suggest any form of jeans for dinner but it depends on the cruise line. My view is that they probably mean MEN, scruffy jeans on the young or even worse, baggy old gardening jeans on the older man (me).
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Cool

I've seen ladies turned away from from the DR at supper for wearing nice jeans.
"Jeans" seem to be a NO NO on most cruise in the main DR at supper.

Personally I don't like to see jeans on anyone at dinner in the main DR .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
I've seen ladies turned away from from the DR at supper for wearing nice jeans.
"Jeans" seem to be a NO NO on most cruise in the main DR at supper.

Personally I don't like to see jeans on anyone at dinner in the main DR .
Glad to hear it, we never have though. I also don't see the problem with dressing nicely & in line with the requested codes that people knew about or should have known about when booking.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Admiral

"Would this be acceptable to wear to dinner (not formal night) with a nice top?"

Yes it would in my opinion. Two choices here you either move into the progressive camp that thinks dress like this is smart and acceptable and TODAY. Or you go down with the traditionalists camp that will cruise after cruise and dig out the same old clothes every time they go on ship, but at the same time appear to forget the fact that it actually went out of fashion around 20 years ago,,,mmm. Plus the smell of moth balls from some of them is actually putting me off my meal, nice retro ship clothes, not and a real shame about the style and smell, not forgetting the arrogance to think all should be like them !!!

You do your thing and welcome on my table as its the person inside the clothes I want to meet and get to know. Clothes dont disguise that

Last edited by DayvidB; May 10th, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
"Would this be acceptable to wear to dinner (not formal night) with a nice top?"

Yes it would in my opinion. Two choices here you either move into the progressive camp that thinks dress like this is smart and acceptable and TODAY. Or you go down with the traditionalists camp that will cruise after cruise and dig out the same old clothes every time they go on ship, but at the same time appear to forget the fact that it actually went out of fashion around 20 years ago,,,mmm. Plus the smell of moth balls from some of them is actually putting me off my meal, nice retro ship clothes, not and a real shame about the style and smell, not forgetting the arrogance to think all should be like them !!!

You do your thing and welcome on my table as its the person inside the clothes I want to meet and get to know. Clothes dont disguise that
Yes...but irrespective of what is in fashion or looks smart or costs this or that, the dress code requests a certain type of dress & that is what should be worn. I wish I could be like you, but if I see someone dressed like a scruff on a formal night I tend to make a judgement, & I think most do the same. After all they are making a statement by choosing their type of dress.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Mustang Sally; it all depends upon the cruise line you are sailing on, for example if you are sailing on Carnival then yes, but if you are sailing on say Celebrity i would say probably not. and it also depends on the whim of the matire d at the door, he could let you in or he could decide not to, this is a rare occurance but it does happen
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Admiral

For me cruise attire is a bit of a Catch-22 .On one hand I like the idea of dressing up on a relaxing cruise .On the other hand I think I would prefer a dress as desire cruise .
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Sally,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
There are some very nice jean capris pants out this year. Would this be acceptable to wear to dinner (not formal night) with a nice top? i don't want to anger anyone, but with the strict travel weights now, I am trying to condense my wardrobe and avoid the high costs of extra bags.
Standards of dress on "casual" or "smart casual" evenings vary radically from one cruise line to another. The most casual cruise lines, like Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), are the most tolerant of jeans. On the more "upscale" major cruise lines like Celebrity and Holland America, anything made of denim fabric would be totally out of place. On several my Celebrity cruises, especially in Europe and on Trans-Atlantic itineraries, a very high percentage of the ladies turned out on the casual evenings in very snazzy cocktail dresses that would have been quite appropriate for the "formal" evenings.

That said, if lightening your luggage is your goal, consider leaving the denim at home and bringing three or four skirts to wear with your tops in the evening instead. Most skirt fabrics are much lighter, weight wise, than denim, and wearing the skirts with different tops will give them different looks. You can wear the same tops with shorts during the next day for your daytime activities.

BTW, with regard to packing, most airlines charge considerably more for a suitcase that's over seventy (70) pounds, which they consider to be "overweight," than for a second or third suitcase.

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Admiral

DayvidB

Quote:
Or you get with the plan and buy a three or four pairs of slacks or, for ladies, three or four skirts in different colors that you can "mix and match" with various shirts or tops to create different looks. (Many of us have these items anyway because we work in offices where "business casual" is the expected standard of dress.)

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Talking Rev. Is right

Have to admit your right on.. did that on our cruise a week ago, three or four color slacks with all sorts of tops and it worked... Now, Norm what do I do with all those shoes..a navy, black, two white and orange not to mention pool sandals
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Familiar Face

Unhappy airline luggage limits

BTW, with regard to packing, most airlines charge considerably more for a suitcase that's over seventy (70) pounds, which they consider to be "overweight," than for a second or third suitcase.
Norm.[/QUOTE

I do remember fondly the 70 lb limit. However that is not todays reality.

Continental Airlines
maximum of 51 linear inches (l + w + h)
40 lbs
maximum of 62 Linear inches
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
Delta Airlines
maximum of 45 linear inches (l + w + h)
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
Southwest Airlines
10 x 16 x 24
40 lbs
(l + w + h)
50 lbs**
United Airlines
22 x 14 x 9
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
US Airways
22 x 14 x 9
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**

*Bags exceeding this size will be charged an additional fee. Please refer to your airline's website for specific fees.
**Bags exceeding this weight will be charged an additional fee. Please refer to your airline's website for specific fees.

see more airlines>>
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiron View Post
I do remember fondly the 70 lb limit. However that is not todays reality.

Continental Airlines
maximum of 51 linear inches (l + w + h)
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
Delta Airlines
maximum of 45 linear inches (l + w + h)
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
Southwest Airlines
10 x 16 x 24
40 lbs
(l + w + h)
50 lbs**
United Airlines
22 x 14 x 9
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**
US Airways
22 x 14 x 9
40 lbs
(l + w + h)*
50 lbs**

*Bags exceeding this size will be charged an additional fee. Please refer to your airline's website for specific fees.
**Bags exceeding this weight will be charged an additional fee. Please refer to your airline's website for specific fees.

see more airlines>>
The detail that you are missing is that the fee for weight is tiered. For a bag between 50# and 70#, it's typically $20 extra. For a bag over 70#, it's typically $150 extra.

Norm.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Well, I was only thinking out loud and thinking of the casual nights on board. I get more use out of dressy jean capris than I would a skirt. Not my style.
They are 'dressy' dark denim capris with cute little zippers at the ankle. The cruise is Carnival. I totally get not wearing 'scruff'. i didn't think these fell into that category. I am not a big fan of "Hawaiian Luau shirts" either, but then again some people are. Everyone's idea of resort casual seems to be a little different.

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
Carnival Destiny 2003
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Admiral

mustang sally,

Quote:
Well, I was only thinking out loud and thinking of the casual nights on board. I get more use out of dressy jean capris than I would a skirt. Not my style.
They are 'dressy' dark denim capris with cute little zippers at the ankle. The cruise is Carnival. I totally get not wearing 'scruff'. i didn't think these fell into that category. I am not a big fan of "Hawaiian Luau shirts" either, but then again some people are. Everyone's idea of resort casual seems to be a little different.
I can't say that I have ever cruised on Carnival. My impression is that your denim capris probably would be fine for the "casual" evenings on that line, but perhaps someone who has actually cruised on the line will either confirm or correct this.

Norm.
Old May 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Sally,
You'll be fine on Carnival. They don't even have formal nights anymore. Just "smart casual", i.e. nice looking casual clothes. But Norm made a point that I agree with and that is that denim is heavy. Also, although I do like denim, it is hotter than a lighter weight pair of capri's. And, assuming you are headed to the Caribbean, that can be a factor. At night, though, you should be fine.
Have fun!
Marty
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
First Mate

Marty, seriously, no more formal nights where you have to dress to the nines? I didn't know that. Everyone was still pretty formal on our last cruise. I think I like this new way better.

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
Carnival Destiny 2003
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On Carnival, on "casual" nights, even shorts are allowed in the dining room, as long as they're not cut-offs. So, if you prefer the denim capris, you won't be out of place.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Carnival has "cruise casual" and "cruise elegant" nights, as noted here. I make a point of wearing the allowed shorts on the cruise casual nights - just because I can.