Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Passenger

Default Cruise Dress

My husband and I are cruising on the NCL Star in July to Alaska and I have to admit, now I'm a little concerned about how we should dress on the cruise. I've read some conflicting things about wearing jeans during dinner. My husband and I are not really dress up people, which is one of the reasons my husband and I chose to cruise with NCL. As I understand it, NCL is a little more relaxed when it comes to the clothing issues. I understand not wearing jeans with holes or tears (not that we would); however, would it really be that bad or would we really be that out of place if we wore jeans for dinner (with a nice shirt and dressy shoes, of course)? I was thinking that jeans would be fine on most nights but now I'm reading some things that are making me think otherwise!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Default This may help....

What Should I Pack?
To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?
The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Why not at least throw in a pair of tan cotton slacks like Dockers and a couple of nice sport shirts and what ever you girls wear. Why would you want to go to dinner on a cruise ship in jeans? sheesh.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Admiral

NCL and Carnival both allow jeans in the dining room. Carnival has Elegant nights and on that night no jeans in the dining are allowed. However, both these lines are casual so don't stress you picked the right line for casual crusing.

Richstacy I would agree with you if they picked a line like Celebrity or HAL where the dress code is more upscale. To my way of thinking if you are adhereing to the rules of the cruiseline then other no cruisers have no right to tell you to pack dockers. I mean this in the nicest way. :-D

However, to the OP if you are coming from a cold climate you might find the jeans to warm for the Carribean heat. The dockers might be cooler and wear better in the warm weather. Just something to think about.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Don't see the pre-occupation with wearing jeans all the time....BUT what I think is more important is SHIRTS, jeans can look reasonable but with a nice shirt it makes a difference, but if you couple them with some teeshirt or something without a collar...that looks scruffy.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Admiral

a nice pair of good jeans with a nice blouse/sweater for you and a nice sport or polo shirt for your dh would be fine for most of the dining venues on NCL, but some of the dining venues especially the ones with a cover charge may have a specific dress code