Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Baggage angst?? yes/no?

Okay, the regulations for baggage, have been in place for a while, Some carriers don't charge, like Southwest.... while others charge from the first one..oh, and we can't forget the overweight fees...

So I pose these questions: are you first looking to get on SW, if they fly from your area, so you will not add on any fees?

Have you adjusted your packing, so, firstly, you are carrying less baggage, or have you gotten a weigh scale, to make sure you are under the allowed weight? Have you paid overweight fees?

If none of the above, in general, how mcuh do you think, these fees have added to the cost of your ticket.How about paying for pillows or blankets?

My flight in the fall, will be our first, under all these fees..My last one, while the fees were in place, we were grandfathere in...so free

Just curious how Crusemates have made adjustments, or said, the heck with it!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Admiral

We bought a suitcase with a built in scale for our last cruise .The small print on the product tag indicates that the weight may not be accurate and to give a 2 ppund leeway .
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Default I'm in panic mode myself.....

We are flying out this coming Friday on American Airlines non-stop to Miami. This is my first flight in 14 years so the weight restrictions, along with everything else, is new to me.

First I weighed my luggage while empty......bam! 10 lbs. right off the start! At least the measurements are within range.

Last week I did a "trial run" and packed everything I was going to take then weighed it......45 lbs. and the limit is 50. I only have a bathroom scale and when the suitcase was put on the center, the sides hang out about 5 inches on both sides. Now I start to panic.....is this going to be an accurate weight with it like that?
(thinking)...Well, when I'm on the scale MY sides hang out over the sides ALOT more than 5 inches.... (thinking)...ya, and my doctor reminds me too, "You are still on your diet....right??????"

Now I'm starting to panic a little more......

I read the airlines website and see I can also have ONE carry on.......YIPEE! Another 40 lbs. allowed! So in it I throw my book, curling iron, camera, extra batteries, my travel-size conditioner, toothpaste, powder), hair dryer (ya, I know there is one in the cabin but that thing will fry your hair if your not careful! Just ask my daughter ;-)......). My plan also for the carry on is that's what I'll put my few souvenirs in on the return trip....if I have any moola left over from the overweight charges that I just know I'll get hammered with for my checked luggage

Gosh how I hate to be bothered with carry on luggage AND a checked one......I better re-think this whole packing thing for the upteenth time.......
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know I've adjusted the packing big time. If I know I'll be on a ship with the self service laundry rooms, I plan on doing one load of wash during the week, sure saves on packing, don't pack many extras and I watch all the shoes, etc. Everything adds up the weight..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've flown a number of times since the additional fees and restrictions have been in place.

I still base my choice on the route, price and carrier. I will take into consideration the $50 (for two people) additional cost for baggage and then put that into the total cost.

We have successfully been able to handle, up to a 12 day, cruise with only one 28" suitcase, a rolling garment bag and two carry-ons. We could easily accommodate a 14 day cruise with this arrangement.

We now have Southwest in the Minneapolis area but their fares are on par with Delta, American and U.S. Air so I will take a direct flight rather than having to go through Phoenix or Chicago to get to Florida or Los Angeles.

I find that even $100 isn't worth taking a flight with multiple connections and risking baggage loss and extended travel time. You have to put a price on convenience and ease of travel.

I often roll my eyes when someone will take a two connection flight and add six hours on to their journey in order to save $100. To me this isn't even close to being worth it.

It's a vacation. Make it as stress free as possible.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike I agree..I want to just go up, and land..once...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Okay, the regulations for baggage, have been in place for a while, Some carriers don't charge, like Southwest.... while others charge from the first one..oh, and we can't forget the overweight fees...

So I pose these questions: are you first looking to get on SW, if they fly from your area, so you will not add on any fees?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Have you adjusted your packing, so, firstly, you are carrying less baggage, or have you gotten a weigh scale, to make sure you are under the allowed weight? Have you paid overweight fees?
No.

I use a different strategy. I chose to concentrate all of my flying on one airline (Delta is my choice) long ago. I usually fly over 25,000 miles on personal travel each year, which is enough to qualify for the lowest tier of most major airlines' frequent flyer plan ("Silver Medallion" standing in "SkyMiles" in my case). This standing brings a lot of perks including use of the "First/Business Class" check-in counter even when flying coach class, automatic upgrades to first or business class (when available) on domestic flights, priority boarding, and waiver of fees for up to three checked bags. In addition, the frequent flier status carries a specials status in the airline's alliance ("Elite" standing on all "SkyTeam" airlines in my case) that carries most of the perks through to its alliance partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If none of the above, in general, how mcuh do you think, these fees have added to the cost of your ticket.How about paying for pillows or blankets?
The baggage fees have added nothing to my cost of flying. :-)

And I have actually found blankets and pillows to be available without charge on my most recent flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My flight in the fall, will be our first, under all these fees..My last one, while the fees were in place, we were grandfathere in...so free
I think that I would pay the $20 or so to check a bag if I have to fly on another airline, as doing so would eliminate a lot of hassle taking luggage with toiletries and cosmetics through a security checkpoint, but that baggage fees make flying on another airline even more of a last resort.

Norm.
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Admiral

Default Extra baggage

The last flight was to Ft. Lauderdale and we went S.W. and was thrilled they never weighed or charged (Providence to Ft. Lauderdale)..We normally fly international and do trans-atlantics and there in lies the problem..14 days...of clothes. Parrot Pop has just given up and pays the overage...but on our last trip I certainly learned how to mix and match..more than I thought I would ever... so hopefully a lesson is learned,not to mention that I now get free washing and folding on our next cruise..
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Beginner

go to www. seatguru.com They have this neat chart that gives you the the dimensions, weight and the fees of all the US carriers.

I used to sell luggage for almost 15 yrs and also did packing seminars for my customers.(store went "online" closed my brick & mortar location)
Rule #1 when packing You are packing for vacation not the apocalypse
My personal choice for cruising is a rolling duffle bag. And a large oversize purse for my carry-on(underneath the seat never overhead)
I can also tell you in my experience if you can't lift it full- what makes you think anyone else can?

Airlines this is how i deal with it if I'm overweight by a 1 lb I pay the fee and go, I don't bother wasting my time and energy stressing about it.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
Passenger

Just got back from the Liberty and all my worrying was for naught. My suitcase weighed in at 11 lbs UNDER the allowed 50! I took plenty of clothes and several pairs of shoes (mostly sandals), even my own hairdryer. To be honest with you, I thought it would be closer to the allowed weight...according to my home scale, it was.

On the return trip home, that suitcase was packed with spa products that my daughter and I had bought after our massages and facials, along with all of the souvenirs! I fully expected to pay the extra charge for an overweight bag this time. We had an exceptionally nice man who checked us in (no one else was in line) and he just picked it up, winked, and said, "It feels about 50 lbs." and sent us on thru. That baby was closer to 70....
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, you were lucky with the luggage, wish they were all like that, way to go!

Nice cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Passenger

Sorry Donna, just saw your post.
Yes, it was a wonderful cruise, no complaints at all, except the time went by much too fast!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM
Beginner

For me, I'm not worried about the luggage because I enjoy overpacking. I just consider it an expense of my vacation. I want to have many clothing options to choose from depending on my mood and situation of the day. ... And I have some pretty hilarious memories from being with friends on vacation and attempting to "repack" everything I brought with me the night before leaving the cruise (while being slightly intoxicated). I have this huge pink suitcase I take with me and it's just too much fun seeing the looks on people's faces when I pull that sucker off the conveyor belt and into the boarding line.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re:Poetressplay

, like the pink luggage thing. In order to ID mine, I have a bright pink bra on the outside. HEHE