CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Dress / Packing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/)
-   -   So, is everyone going to point and laugh? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-dress-packing/378424-so-everyone-going-point-laugh.html)

phatkat811 November 30th, 2010 09:56 PM

So, is everyone going to point and laugh?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in January, on Holland America. We've never been on a cruise before and we wanted to do one for our (somewhat delayed) honeymoon. I guess we didn't know what we were getting into as far as dress code!!

We're both in our 20's and work at good jobs, but jobs that have little to no dress code. Not to mention that I've lost 30 lbs in the past year - YAY, but that leaves me limited as far as clothes that fit! So long story short, our wardrobes are largely jeans and t-shirts! We both have enough clothes that I think will work with the dinner dress code, and we do each have a nice formal outfit....but we're young, we just paid for a wedding, and honestly, we both tend to dress for functionality more than style. None of our clothes are exactly pricey or designer brands! Some of the discussions here, about people pointing and whispering and whatnot, have me a little nervous. I'm not cruising to make friends but I'd rather people not give us a hard time about what we're wearing while we're on vacation!

Yes, we do plan on adhering to the dress code, but more in JC Penney and Old Navy than Nordstroms and Ralph Lauren and whatever people who have money wear. :) Are we going to look ridiculous or are we ok? (And PS - I can rock a dress from JCP!)

Mike M November 30th, 2010 10:01 PM

It sounds like you have your dinner dress covered. You'll be just fine. JC Penney and Old Navy work just fine. You will probably find that you are in the majority rather than the minority.

Take care,
Mike

Trip November 30th, 2010 10:18 PM

Your dressier evenings, sound very nice, and not to worry about labels or designer names....I am a Marshalls and TJ Maxx kinda of gal, for the most part...you will not look ridiculous at all......check out the sales after Christmas..lots of goodies on sale..I know I will:)

Donna December 1st, 2010 10:00 AM

The clothes you plan to bring along sound just fine, not to worry. During the day, pretty much your shorts and t-shirts are perfectly fine and you have some nice clothes for dinner, no one will know they aren't designer quality, heck most of the others will be in the same boat. Just go have fun and relax.

LisaK December 1st, 2010 10:07 AM

don't worry about it, sounds like you have it covered. My general rule when it comes to dressing up especially for formal nights is to wear something that you would wear to your best friends evening wedding. I have traded in my evening gowns for nice cocktail dresses and dressy flowly pants with sparkly tops. As for casual nights, just wear something you would wear if you and your DH were going out to dinner at a nice restaurant at home. Since you are cruising Holland America i would definately say that shorts in the dining rooms at night are a no-no

Sightseeker December 1st, 2010 01:19 PM

You have nothing to worry about. You will see every type of clothing. Dress for comfort and bring your fat pants for the last days! :) Formal night is very dressy, accessories will jazz it up. Just you two being young and the smiles of "the fist cruise" will make it work. You will be the ones pointing fingers, you'll see. That's the beauty of a cruise, relax, enjoy and EAT! You kids have fun.

Moiraine December 2nd, 2010 10:47 PM

You will be fine. I always take dress clothes for formal nights but always end up having room service instead. I hate dressing up. Just go and have a good time!

ruthlessboss December 3rd, 2010 07:48 AM

Personally I won't wear anything unless it's a brand name! But, they came from thrift stores. I shop regularly, and on occassion that perfect dress is there and home it goes with me. Once on Celebrity my floor gown that was black and with sequins, was $2 as it was half price. On Sunday I'm on Carnival with my other "new" $3 gown and actually $1 new shoes I snagged at a yard sale last week. I can keep up with the Jones's and have money to spend on building memories.
Just be a little dressy on formal nights and you'll be fine.

Catherinelady January 16th, 2011 07:25 PM

I am the same as you, I have a job where i can wear tshirts and jeans to work. JC penney is my friend and so are thrift stores. Don't worry about the whisperers or uppity people who might laugh, think of all the money we save compared to them in work clothes and cruise clothes. We actually have a smarter lifestyle. Its one of the reasons I left the east coast to move out to the midwest :-) Have a fun trip

MarkNYC January 19th, 2011 11:36 AM

One of my favorite things about cruising is to watch the hillbillies parade around in their ill-fitting, cheap clothes.

jacdenv24 January 19th, 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkNYC (Post 1343966)
One of my favorite things about cruising is to watch the hillbillies parade around in their ill-fitting, cheap clothes.

Be careful who you call a hillbilly! In 2008 on Celebrity Constellation there were 4 couples traveling together from Little Rock Ark. One formal night the 4 men showed up in dungarees while the ladies were dressed to kill in the most gorgeous gowns. It turns out that dungarees, when worn with a shirt, tie and patent leather shoes, are known as Arkansas Tuxedos! Found out these gents where all bankers-hardly hillbillies.

MarkNYC January 19th, 2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdenv24 (Post 1343972)
Be careful who you call a hillbilly! In 2008 on Celebrity Constellation there were 4 couples traveling together from Little Rock Ark. One formal night the 4 men showed up in dungarees while the ladies were dressed to kill in the most gorgeous gowns. It turns out that dungarees, when worn with a shirt, tie and patent leather shoes, are known as Arkansas Tuxedos! Found out these gents where all bankers-hardly hillbillies.

Sure, hillbillies can have jobs - but they are still hillbillies.

Snoozeman January 19th, 2011 12:43 PM

One of my favorite things about cruising is to watch yankees parade around in their ill-fitting, cheap clothes.

MarkNYC January 19th, 2011 12:59 PM

You have me there. We New Yorkers know nothing about fashion.

richstacy January 19th, 2011 02:48 PM

No, people will absoutely NOT point and laugh!! You'll be fine.

richstacy January 19th, 2011 02:50 PM

What the heck are dungarees?

Trip January 19th, 2011 05:07 PM

Ray, I have 20 comments running around in my head, and that's where they shall stay:( dungarees are jeans!

jacdenv24 January 19th, 2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richstacy (Post 1344039)
What the heck are dungarees?

Jeans with a bib. Guess you never watched The Beverly Hillbillies? Elly Mae wore them all the time;-)

Trip January 19th, 2011 05:14 PM

In my neck of the woods, those would be called overalls.

I think the word perception, is a good one for that post:)

Mike M January 19th, 2011 08:13 PM

Here "dungarees" are brown, canvas pants worn by workmen. Jeans are.....jeans. Good ole "denim".

It's a regional thing and I think it may also be a generational thing. I don't think I have heard the term "dungarees" used by anyone under 40.

Take care,
Mike (Who is way over 40)

Skipper's Mom January 19th, 2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1344126)
Here "dungarees" are brown, canvas pants worn by workmen. Jeans are.....jeans. Good ole "denim".

It's a regional thing and I think it may also be a generational thing. I don't think I have heard the term "dungarees" used by anyone under 40.

Take care,

Mike:

I am forever calling them dungarees! I guess that because I'm 60! Then I correct myself and say "jeans". However, I don't own a pair!

Trip January 19th, 2011 08:36 PM

Not to worry,I find that word coming out of my mouth too!!!

jacdenv24 January 20th, 2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1344126)

Take care,

Oh Rats!!! Now everyone will know I'm over 40:cry: In my neck of the woods, overalls are just that-pants and top all in one-covers everything.
As you can tell, I REALLY need my cruise-8 days to go:D

iamsuf February 2nd, 2011 08:26 PM

ask a friend who has recently attended to a wedding (and is your size) if you can borrow her dress :)
It will be ok
Enjoy your cruise and delayed honeymoon

SunEBeach July 21st, 2011 06:43 PM

You will look fabulous in what ever you wear...if you are happy and comfortable, then who cares? A two dollar t shirt and a nice pair of jeans can look just as fabulous...especially after loosing 30 pounds! Have fun...and ignore rude obnoxious people that don't have manners and shouldn't be allowed out in public...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkNYC (Post 1343966)

Being a 'hillbilly' I take offense to that! My clothes fit fine, they may not be from designer stores but I can still feed my family after shopping for them, and I can then afford to go on fabulous cruises...so. I am proud to be a 'hillbilly' as well as a coal miners granddaughter! and for your information we DO wear SHOES...most the time. I prefer flip flops. Some people are just plain ignorant and rude!:evil: ...and I like to watch and laugh at 'uppity rich city people' who think they are 'all that' and think they are so much better than others strut around like proud peacocks.

Rev22:17 July 22nd, 2011 06:07 PM

SunEBeach,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1382703)
You will look fabulous in what ever you wear...if you are happy and comfortable, then who cares? A two dollar t shirt and a nice pair of jeans can look just as fabulous...especially after loosing 30 pounds! Have fun...and ignore rude obnoxious people that don't have manners and shouldn't be allowed out in public...

I can't recommend wearing anything that is not within the cruise lines' dress guidelines aboard ship (except, of course, on an occasion such as Halloween when costumes are in order). I have seen staff turn passengers away from dining rooms, show rooms, and other events because they were not wearing the proper attire.

Obviously, the key is to choose a cruise line that matches your personal style and taste. If you want to wear jeans and "T" shirts to dinner, book your cruise on a line on which jeans and "T" shirts are acceptable evening attire rather than on a line which explicitly states that prescribes a "smart casual" or "country club casual" standard of evening dress.

Norm.

Bruce Chafkin1 July 27th, 2011 01:29 AM

You might be interested in the origins of "denims".

The original cloth design was French.
The city of Nimes in France was famous for many years as a center for cloth production.
Their unique fabrics were "from Nimes" (De Nimes in French).
Once in America, De Nimes was changed to DeNimes and then to Denims.
The cloth was not very popular until the California Goldrush.
It was very strong and durable. The miners needed strong, durable clothing and tents for their prospecting work. Denim was perfect.

The Levi Strauss family in San Francisco somehow convinced America that this utilitarian cloth from the mining industry could also be a fashion statement.

Now we have miner's uniforms being worn as formal wear on cruises.

Manuel July 27th, 2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1343994)
One of my favorite things about cruising is to watch yankees parade around in their ill-fitting, cheap clothes.

Some of us have good-fitting cheap clothes. LOL

TM